1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 15:31
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    I don't know the others or the extent of true corruption in the pro boxing but I know that if you watch a King promoted fight it will end in a stinking controversy leaving you cheated. It isn't ridiculous to expect a decent fight between fighters that have been prepared well and to expect a decent fair result.
    From wiki:

In 1974, King negotiated to promote a heavyweight championship fight between Ali and George Foreman in Zaire, popularly known as "The Rumble in the Jungle." The fight between Ali and Foreman was a much-anticipated event. King's rivals all sought to promote the bout, but King was able to secure the then-record $10 million purse through an arrangement with the Zaire government.

King solidified his position as one of boxing's preeminent promoters the following year with the third fight between Ali and Joe Frazier in Manila, the capital of the Philippines, which King deemed the "Thrilla In Manila." Aside from promoting the premier heavyweight fights of the 1970s, King was also busy expanding his boxing empire. Throughout the decade, he compiled an impressive roster of fighters, many of whom would finish their career with Hall of Fame credentials. Fighters like Larry Holmes, Wilfred Benitez, Roberto Duran, Salvador Sanchez, Wilfredo Gómez, and Alexis Arguello would all fight under Don King Productions promotional banner in the 1970s.

For the next two decades, King continued to be among boxing's most successful promoters. Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Julio César Chávez, Aaron Pryor, Bernard Hopkins, Ricardo Lopez, Felix Trinidad, Terry Norris, Carlos Zarate, Azumah Nelson, Mike McCallum, and Meldrick Taylor are some of the boxers who chose King to promote many of their biggest fights.

Yep you're right; all of the fights of those guys King promoted sucked.
  2. cube# 6484
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 16:55
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Promoters like King are nothing new in boxing. Joe Louis' handlers screwed him throughout his whole career as one glaring example.

To say King has ruined the sport is ridiculous. There's still plenty of good fights out there to watch.
    I don't know if King is the reason boxing sucks, but he is apart of it. I'm sure he is all for the good fighters boxing once a year, as one example. Mainly though, King is just a shady and crooked person and boxing would be better without him, or his ilk. Here is a good site discussing the decline of boxing.

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/dk72999.htm
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 17:01
    Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
    I don't know if King is the reason boxing sucks, but he is apart of it. I'm sure he is all for the good fighters boxing once a year, as one example. Mainly though, King is just a shady and crooked person and boxing would be better without him, or his ilk. Here is a good site discussing the decline of boxing.

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/dk72999.htm
    That article was written in 1999.
  4. cube# 6484
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 17:04
    That article was written in 1999.
    good job, #1!
  5. Standard memberKurtHoegh
    Critical Failure
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 17:43
    I'll have to toss Henry Armstrong in there among the all time greats. He held the world title at featherweight, lightweight and welterweight simultaeously for a spell. And there were only one title, and eight weight classes back then.
  6. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 19:58
    Did anyone mention Butterbean?
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 21:50
    Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
    good job, #1!
    Lousy job, NL. If you're going to use an article to support an assertion about the present state of boxing, you might try one written in the same century.
  8. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 12:46
    From wiki:

In 1974, King negotiated to promote a heavyweight championship fight between Ali and George Foreman in Zaire, popularly known as "The Rumble in the Jungle." The fight between Ali and Foreman was a much-anticipated event. King's rivals all sought to promote the bout, but King was able to secure the then-record $10 million purse thr ...[text shortened]... s.

Yep you're right; all of the fights of those guys King promoted sucked.
    In my book it was King that turned Ali from boxing. My understanding is that it was Ali who went to Zaire, stirred up intense support then King said there's no money here lets go.. Ali refused to leave his fans.. Ali secured the money from his personal friendship with the president of Zaire.. Ali got a pittance.
    King and his boxing and boxing is suffering as a result. Like a combination of punches he plays the fights.. bs bs fix good one, bs bs fix good one just enough to string out return fights and repeat purses.

After Zaire didn't Ali dump King or at least reach an arrangement where Ali himself chose his fights?.. I recall controversy..
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 13:15
    In my book it was King that turned Ali from boxing. My understanding is that it was Ali who went to Zaire, stirred up intense support then King said there's no money here lets go.. Ali refused to leave his fans.. Ali secured the money from his personal friendship with the president of Zaire.. Ali got a pittance.
    King and his boxing and boxing is suffering ...[text shortened]... or at least reach an arrangement where Ali himself chose his fights?.. I recall controversy..
    If you bother to look it up, you'll see that Ali received over $5 million for the "Rumble in the Jungle", the largest purse in the history of boxing at the time. Some "pittance".
  10. cube# 6484
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 14:00
    Lousy job, NL. If you're going to use an article to support an assertion about the present state of boxing, you might try one written in the same century.
    so you are saying the reasons given then for the decline in boxing are no longer relevant today? Or, are you so childish that, the article being 8 yrs old, is more fun to point out in a rhp debate page?
  11. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 14:03
    If you bother to look it up, you'll see that Ali received over $5 million for the "Rumble in the Jungle", the largest purse in the history of boxing at the time. Some "pittance".
    You are right and it was King who sorted the money from the pres too.
    But sad to see bad blood between the two..
    NY times: King Suing Ali Sports re a prmotion in NY. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9403E1DF123BF934A15752C0A967948260
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 14:16
    You are right and it was King who sorted the money from the pres too.
    But sad to see bad blood between the two..
    NY times: King Suing Ali Sports re a prmotion in NY. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9403E1DF123BF934A15752C0A967948260
    Hey, I'm not saying King isn't a jerk. I'm just saying that boxing promoters have always been jerks. But I still like to watch a good fight. And I've seen quite a few in the last few years though the decline in the quality of the Heavyweight division is unfortunate.
  13. Joined
    18 Nov '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 17:01
    Dunno @ best boxer ever, too young to have seen Dempsey etc. But Duran-Leonard fights were exceptional.
  14. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 21:181 edit
    Just a whimsical thought.. in trying to imagine p4p fighters imagine every great boxer you ever saw as 26-28 years old with proportionate height & weight differences. Who would we like to match up on a fight card??

I'd love to see a one night three round knock out tournament

Ali v Leonard ____________
    Liston v Duran ____________ ____________

Marciano v Robinson ______________ _______________
    Louis v Tyson ____________ ____________

Fill in the winners and line up another one... could be fun
    How would the 15 rounds version over two years go?
    Please say how this would go then suggest a new line up with your favs.
  15. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 03:171 edit
    Jeff Fenech

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree