British 400m

British 400m

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
29 Aug 07

the women made first and second place, but is it me or would that jamaican (i think) had won if she wasnt so stupid and ran to the line? im sure she was tired but it looked as if she thought the race was in the bag and just jogged, didnt lean or anything. Still a good result, but it takes the shine off of it.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
29 Aug 07

Track and Field at top level is almost pure sport.

Amazing race, but I agree - it was almost like a betting syndicate was in action.

Looking forward to the 200m final for men Bolt v Gay. Bolt show-boated more than Frank Worthington in his pomp in round two!

L

Moves
29 Aug 07

Originally posted by invigorate
Track and Field at top level is almost pure sport.

Amazing race, but I agree - it was almost like a betting syndicate was in action.

Looking forward to the 200m final for men Bolt v Gay. Bolt show-boated more than Frank Worthington in his pomp in round two!
what did they get the 400m in

m

Moves
29 Aug 07

Originally posted by LivingForJesus
what did they get the 400m in
You mean the time? 49.61s for Ohuruogu, 49.65s for Sanders. Both PBs.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
29 Aug 07

5 hundreths of a second between the top three is a very small amount over 400m.

If the race was 395m - the result would have been very different.

L

Moves
29 Aug 07

Originally posted by mtthw
man that is fast!!!

m

Moves
29 Aug 07

Originally posted by LivingForJesus
man that is fast!!!
Just thought I'd check what the British record was. 49.43s, set by Kathy Cook back in 1984. And she's also still the British record holder at 100m and 200m!

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
30 Aug 07

Just thought I'd check what the British record was. 49.43s, set by Kathy Cook back in 1984. And she's also still the British record holder at 100m and 200m!
Kathy Cook deserves more recognition - is wasn't her fault that she faced the GDR at the hieght of their doping antics.

Alan Wells is also under recognised, compared to Cram, Gunnell and Linford Christie he should be held in higher esteem.

s

6yd box

Moves
30 Aug 07

Kathy Cook deserves more recognition - is wasn't her fault that she faced the GDR at the hieght of their doping antics.

Alan Wells is also under recognised, compared to Cram, Gunnell and Linford Christie he should be held in higher esteem.
agreed.. they were great sprinters.

if fact i still got Wells's BOOK OF SPRINTING!!!

s

6yd box

Moves
30 Aug 07

ohuruogu....drug cheat?

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
30 Aug 07

Originally posted by spurs73
ohuruogu....drug cheat?
No.

Victimised by testers without common sense.

Bureaucracy gone mad.

When they turned up at the stadium to find a school sports day, they could have phoned to find out where she would be.

AB

Moves
30 Aug 07
1 edit

Cram, Gunnell & Christie won golds (in the Worlds and Olympics) facing the very best competitors in their events. Wells won gold (100m) in an Olympics without the USA.

A bit like Arsenal winning the Premiership after Chelsea, ManU and Liverpool all withdrew. They may have won it anyway, but we'll never know and we all suspect that they probably wouldn't have!

s

6yd box

Moves
30 Aug 07

No.

Victimised by testers without common sense.

Bureaucracy gone mad.

When they turned up at the stadium to find a school sports day, they could have phoned to find out where she would be.
she missed THREE tests

s

6yd box

Moves
30 Aug 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Angry Boy
Cram, Gunnell & Christie won golds (in the Worlds and Olympics) facing the very best competitors in their events. Wells won gold (100m) in an Olympics without the USA.

A bit like Arsenal winning the Premiership after Chelsea, ManU and Liverpool all withdrew. They may have won it anyway, but we'll never know and we all suspect that they probably wouldn't have!
..yes... Mel Lattney and Stanaly Floyed were the top US sprinters at the time.

Wells did beat them both afterwords in the post Olympic meets.

He also won Communwealth and european golds before and after to be fair

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
30 Aug 07

Originally posted by spurs73
she missed THREE tests
She did have many tests in between the 3 misses, I believeshe was also tested within a week of missing the key third test.. I believe the rules changed after the first missed test.

The Court of Albitration for Sport said she was guilty of forgetfulness.

I'm sure she regrets missing the tests. Because of her punishment I think alll british athletes are more circumspect now.