1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 05:24
    Originally posted by sh76
    Oh; you meant that Ryan comment? Come on; every coach gets despondent like that after a bad loss. Ryan didn't say anything more than most coaches say in that situation.

The Jets lost one game on a bogus illegal motion penalty and another on a bogus holding penalty. If they'd have won those 2 games and lost the Indy game, then they'd be 4-2 in the division, 9 ...[text shortened]... ou think close games are not sometimes decided by luck, you're not paying attention.
    They wil lose on Sunday and be done with it. The football gods will crap on your Jets and then the Colts for their sorry football behavior. No football misdeed of this magnitude goes unpunished!
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 12:51
    I can’t tell you how many NFL owners over the last 30 years have told me they don’t really "own" a franchise. The team actually belongs to the fans, they tell me, and the owners are merely caretakers of a public trust.

Whether those owners believe it or not, it sure sounds good. It’s so politically correct. Without fan interest, professional athletes may as well be watch-makers or ticket-takers. If no one’s watching, no one’s caring.

Fans will spend upwards of $100 per ticket to attend an NFL game. They’ll spend upwards of $50 just to park their car at the stadium. They’ll spend upwards of $200 for an authentic jersey bearing their favorite player’s name to wear to that game.

But fans want to be rewarded for their financial and emotional investments. They want to see their team win. Whether their team is 1-13 or 14-0, they show up on Sundays coveting a victory. They want to leave the stadium swelling with team and civic pride.

The Indianapolis Colts violated the public trust Sunday. Two games away from a rare perfect regular season, the Colts shut it down midway through the third quarter against the New York Jets.

After having taken a 15-10 lead on a short touchdown run by Donald Brown, the Colts pulled their three-time NFL MVP quarterback Peyton Manning from the game. The Colts said they did not want to risk injury to their best player or other starters so they flooded the field with reserves.

The Mannings, Dallas Clarks and Reggie Waynes were replaced by the Curtis Painters, Hank Basketts and Jacob Tammes. The Colts managed only 47 yards and one first down over their final six possessions as their perfect season went down the drain in an ugly 29-15 loss to the inferior Jets.

The Colts should have announced during the week that they were not going to attempt to defeat the Jets that Sunday. Then the Colts should have offered refunds to those fans who elected not to waste their hard-earned dollars on a half-baked effort by the local football team.

The fans own the team? Please. My guess is if you polled the 67,222 "owners" in attendance at Lucas Oil Stadium last Sunday, the fans would have been heavily in favor of beating the Jets and continuing the pursuit of perfection. The booing of the home crowd spoke volumes Sunday.

Whether the decree to shut it down came down from Colts owner Jim Irsay, general manager Bill Polian or coach Jim Caldwell is irrelevant. Their fans deserved better. If there’s no discount on tickets, there should be no discount on effort. As a fan, if I’m going to pay top dollar I want to see top effort.

The Colts failed their fans Sunday. They also failed themselves. If a professional athlete is not going to play to win, why play at all?

Gosselin, DMN 12-29-09
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 13:59
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    They wil lose on Sunday and be done with it. The football gods will crap on your Jets and then the Colts for their sorry football behavior. No football misdeed of this magnitude goes unpunished!
    Okay; let's assume that the Colts were morally wrong for resting Manning. Fine.

What does that have to do with the Jets?? Why are you picking on the Jets? What did they have to do with the decision? I simply don't get your anger at the Jets for a decision made by the Colts.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 15:392 edits
    yes - why be angry at the Jets -- if anything, be happy because if the Jets hadn't won the game, the Colts would've "gotten away" with their "transgressions".

As for the fans, why should they object to a strategy intended to maximize the team's chances of winning the super bowl? Every fan should know there are risks when you buy tickets to game 15 or game 16 on a schedule. You might get one of the most important games of the season - or you might get a worthless game with lots of second-stringers. It's something with which you just must deal.

You can argue about whether the strategy is a good one -- to me, it's a major dilemma -- you must choose between allowing too much rust to accumulate or risking an injury to a star player -- but I'm sure whoever made that decision had the team's best interests in mind.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 21:45
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    yes - why be angry at the Jets -- if anything, be happy because if the Jets hadn't won the game, the Colts would've "gotten away" with their "transgressions".

As for the fans, why should they object to a strategy intended to maximize the team's chances of winning the super bowl? Every fan should know there are risks when you buy tickets to game 15 or g ...[text shortened]... yer -- but I'm sure whoever made that decision had the team's best interests in mind.
    Because the Jets suck and are getting in through no effort of their own, that's why! The game is about pursunig greatness. Now there is yet anthr eyar to wait to see if a team other then the Dlphins in 72 can do it!
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '10 14:48
    From "Seven teams with no business in the playoffs":
    • New York Jets: If Rex Ryan’s team makes the playoffs, he should get down on his knees and thank the football gods for his good fortune. First his inconsistent team, in its own stadium two weeks ago, allowed the already eliminated Falcons to drive 73 yards in the final minutes to steal a 10-7 victory. Then, with the Jets trailing the Colts by five in the third quarter last Sunday, Indy coach Jim Caldwell essentially sent them a life raft by calling in rookie quarterback Curtis Painter(notes) and the second-stringers. And now, thanks to NBC’s decision to move New York’s game with the Bengals into the Sunday night slot, Ryan may get lucky once more: Depending upon what happens with the Patriots earlier Sunday – and, realistically, how much Lewis cares about getting the third seed, as opposed to the fourth seed – the Jets may face Cincy’s B-team, too. If they still can’t get into the playoffs, what was the point?

I smell conspiracy over the decision to move the game to Sunday night! Why do this when the Eagles-Cowboys is the more attractive matchup? To ensure Cincy plays the scrubs depending on the day's results! Costas is from NYC, isn't he and calls the shots at NBC? Then again NBC is NYC based and love nothing better than manipulating outcomes whether it's elections, sports, healthcare (Immelt). So there! NYC you are a stinkin bunch of sorry a...holes who lucked out on Cowardly Lion Caldwell's crazy decision!!!!!!! Aaaaaarrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:52
    in light of Welker's knee injury and Brady's broken finger, the merits of the Colts' approach are easy to see.

As for the Jets game, turns out the Bengals indeed had something to play for. Not that they seemed to care.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 18:181 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    From "Seven teams with no business in the playoffs":
    • New York Jets: If Rex Ryan’s team makes the playoffs, he should get down on his knees and thank the football gods for his good fortune. First his inconsistent team, in its own stadium two weeks ago, allowed the already eliminated Falcons to drive 73 yards in the final minutes to steal a 10-7 victor lucked out on Cowardly Lion Caldwell's crazy decision!!!!!!! Aaaaaarrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!
    Okay, hotshot. Name the team in the AFC who "deserves" to make the playoffs more than the Jets that did not make it.

This ought to be fun.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 00:06
    Originally posted by sh76
    Okay, hotshot. Name the team in the AFC who "deserves" to make the playoffs more than the Jets that did not make it.

This ought to be fun.
    Simple! The Houston Texans would have been in without the NBC and Colts led shenanigans. The Titans, although unaffected by the Colts debacle certainly are a substantially better team than the Jets. The Steelers are waaaayyyyy better than the Jets. Even the Dolphins, also unaffected by the Colts nauseatingly crappy behavior are better than the Jets! Should I go on? It does not matter anymore. It will be one and out anyways. It is nothing personal but I've always hated teams backing into the playoffs. If it were not the Jets it would have been any other team benefitting from such a decision. To his credit Payton Maning still seems embarrassed and non-plussed over the whole sorry mess and apologized to the fans. There's a man with the character Caldwell lacks.

In response to melanerpes piping in about the injury to Wes Welker. Total fluke. Coulda happened in practice. Also notice the Welker injury did not lead to Patriots pulling Brady! Patriots still tried to win! There's a deserving team who played for greatness in 07 and fell short trying, but deserves everyone's admiration for falling with dignity!!!!!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree