Cricket at Youtube

Cricket at Youtube

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by Red Night
[b]"cricket could learn alot from baseball."

Don Bradman[/b]
Actually played both at a high level.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by Crowley
Oh sure. I was never a professional sportsman, so I never reached top level in cricket and definately not a very high level of baseball.
The only person who could ever really comment accurately on this is someone who played both sports at a very high level - which is not likely to happen.

Let me just say this: The TOP bowlers in the world, professionals ...[text shortened]... a living every day, can't even hit the target (which is larger than baseball) with every ball.
And that is why I feel it is easier. In baseball, you MUST hit your mark, or you won't make the grade. In Cricket, you have room for a bit of error... so it is more forgiving. You are not pressured to hit that right spot 3 out of 5 pitches.

P-

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by Phlabibit
And that is why I feel it is easier. In baseball, you MUST hit your mark, or you won't make the grade. In Cricket, you have room for a bit of error... so it is more forgiving. You are not pressured to hit that right spot 3 out of 5 pitches.

P-
"Cricket is splendid game -- for Britons... Cricket is an Athletic Sociable... Base Ball is an Athletic Turmoil. Base Ball is War!"

-AG Spalding-

d

Moves
07 Dec 06

Short of that we could look to guidance from the greatest cricketeer of all time, who it turns out was a big baseball fan. What did Sir Donald have to say on the matter:

[b]"cricket could learn alot from baseball."

Don Bradman[/b]
Muppet - Have you thought about what he meant when he said that.

Maybe he was talking about league structure
Maybe wages
Maybe out fielding
Maybe cheer leaders
Maybe night games (if played at that time in BB)
Maybe the hot dog vendors

It was certainly not how to bat or bowl in cricket.

"Yes, cricket could learn a lot from baseball. There is more snap and dash to baseball"

Cricket certainly evolved with the introduction of World Series Cricket and the limited overs game - Whether or not these ideas were as a result of the snap and dash aspect of baseball I do not know.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
07 Dec 06

P-
Please don't misunderstand me. If you bowl a bad ball in cricket you will go and fetch it - just like baseball.

d

Moves
07 Dec 06

P-
Not true in cricket you need to get 6 out 6 because your bad ball will go to the boundary, when that happens your over is deemed a failure.

You might get away with a bat ball and I am sure the same in BB. However using the argument that you need to be more accurate in BB does not hold any water. Besides you could argue it is easier to hit a small area with a throw than it is to hit a slightly larger when bowling from slightly further away.

Why not go and try it.
Setup a square foot area and try and land 6/6 in that area.
Then try a baseball at a coffee cup and try and hit 3 out of whatever.
My guess is that you will find them equally difficult.

So
Accuracy - Equally difficult
Deviation/Movement - Again same as above
It is the action that makes bowling technically more difficult

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by Crowley
Please don't misunderstand me. If you bowl a bad ball in cricket you will go and fetch it - just like baseball.
You can't always fetch a bad pitch, the fans can keep it when it leaves the park.

When asked, 'How do you catch a knuckleball'?

"Easy. Just wait for it to stop, walk over and pick it up."

~Bob Uecker

P-

m

Moves
07 Dec 06

Not true. A baseball has a pronounced seem with 182 stitches. Some pitches move because of air drag on the seams.
Yes, but the seam isn't as pronounced as in cricket. And, most importantly, it isn't in a straight line straight down the middle of the ball. That's where (most) swing comes from in cricket. In a simplistic way, the seam acts as a rudder, if you can bowl it so that it rotates to keep the seam in the same position and aims it the right way.

So I'd think most movement in baseball comes from the rotation (the Magnus effect), except for knuckle-balls, where it's the very lack of rotation that causes the wobble (you get random-looking vortex shedding).

m

Moves
07 Dec 06

Can I just add, to both sides in this friendly debate, the following...

...I think that any argument that says both batting and bowling are clearly more difficult in either sport has a certain logical flaw.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
07 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by dan182
Not true in cricket you need to get 6 out 6 because your bad ball will go to the boundary, when that happens your over is deemed a failure.

You might get away with a bat ball and I am sure the same in BB. However using the argument that you need to be more accurate in BB does not hold any water. Besides you could argue it is easier to hit a small area with ...[text shortened]... n/Movement - Again same as above
It is the action that makes bowling technically more difficult
How often do bowlers need to have their arm sewn back on?

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=pitching+injuries&word2=bowling+injuries

Please keep in mind that bowling could mean 10-pin, duck-pin, candle pin, and cricket... yet pitching injuries blows it away.

P-

d

Moves
07 Dec 06

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=pitching+injuries&word2=bowling+injuries

Please keep in mind that bowling could mean 10-pin, duck-pin, candle pin, and cricket... yet pitching injuries blows it away.

P-
Ah that just seals it for me, conclusive proof.

Since we are down and dirty
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=american+bollox&word2=rest+of+the+world+bollox

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by dan182
Ah that just seals it for me, conclusive proof.

Since we are down and dirty
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=american+bollox&word2=rest+of+the+world+bollox
No, really... how often do bowlers' arms get injured? If this motion is so crazy I imagine all the time. What surgery do they get most often? There is an interesting surgery called Tommy John where I believe they take a tendon from the ankle and replace a tendon in the pitcher's elbow.

Pitcher often blow their rotator cuff. Pitchers are limited to about 100 pitches per game to try and avoid these injuries. How many throws will a bowler make in a game?

P-

S

Moves
07 Dec 06

P-
Suck it up, loser:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Phlabibit&word2=Starrman

S

Moves
07 Dec 06
1 edit

No, really... how often do bowlers' arms get injured? If this motion is so crazy I imagine all the time. What surgery do they get most often? There is an interesting surgery called Tommy John where I believe they take a tendon from the ankle and replace a tendon in the pitcher's elbow.

Pitcher often blow their rotator cuff. Pitchers are limited to ...[text shortened]... per game to try and avoid these injuries. How many throws will a bowler make in a game?

P-
Around 30 overs an innings, so maybe 360 bowls in a 5 day test, during which they probably only bowl over 2.5 days.

Edit: Depends on how the match and their performance goes.

d

Moves
07 Dec 06
1 edit

Pitcher often blow their rotator cuff. Pitchers are limited to ...[text shortened]... per game to try and avoid these injuries. How many throws will a bowler make in a game?

P-
Are you serious about finding the answer to that?

It is very hard to say because there are so many factors.
Lets say maybe
40-60 overs in a test for a fast bowler = 360 max i would guess
80-100 over in a test for a spin bowler = 600 max i would guess

Those figures are very rough

I would guess that pitchers are injured a lot more as a general rule. The shoulder area of the pitcher takes a pounding.

Cricket fast bowlers are certainly more injury prone than spinners and they mainly have problems with back, knees, ankles and feet.
Spinners mainly injure shoulders and wrists.

However all of the above broad stroke and it depends on the individual.

Dennis Lille for example had a very serious back injury
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Lillee