1. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 15:261 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    No, really... how often do bowlers' arms get injured? If this motion is so crazy I imagine all the time. What surgery do they get most often? There is an interesting surgery called Tommy John where I believe they take a tendon from the ankle and replace a tendon in the pitcher's elbow.

Pitcher often blow their rotator cuff. Pitchers are limited to ...[text shortened]... hes per game to try and avoid these injuries. How many throws will a bowler make in a game?
    Because bowlers keep their arm straight they don't tend to get arm injuries. Back injuries are common for fast bowlers - a lot of the pace comes from the torso, and there's quite a lot of twisting going on. Leg injuries as well - Flintoff's just come back from an ankle injury - he's a big lad and you put a lot of weight on your front foot when you bowl.

In limited over cricket bowlers are limited to 60 balls each (you need at least 5 bowlers). In test cricket there are no restrictions other than tiredness. In the test match that just ended Matthew Hoggard bowled 42 overs (252 balls) in the first innings, over 2 days.

Spinners (slow bowlers) can usually bowl for longer, partly because they don't have as long a run-up. Shane Warne bowled 53 overs (318 balls) over 2 days in the same match.

Edit: A test match nominally has 90 overs a day for 5 days. That's 2700 balls if it goes the distance. This is shared between the two teams, with 4-5 bowlers for each team doing most of the work.
  2. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 15:391 edit
    Originally posted by dyl
    [b
    P.S. Sir Donald Bradman.[/b]
    You're absolutely correct:

"Cricket could learn a lot from baseball."

Sir Donald Bradman

I'm starting to really like this Bradman fellow, "the Babe Ruth of Cricket," soft-spoken, a man of few words, a real say what you mean and mean what you say sort of fellow.
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 15:461 edit
    Originally posted by dan182
    Have you thought about what he meant when he said that.

"Yes, cricket could learn a lot from baseball. There is more snap and dash to baseball"

Have you?

During this 1932 Australian Tour of Canada and the US there was a substantial amount of trepidation about letting Bradman out of the country. There had been some sort of "mutiny" in 1912 when Australia had last let her Cricketeers leave.

They only let Bradman go on the tour because the Canandian Pacific RR, the sponsor of the tour, insisted.

If you look at the picture of Bradman meeting the Babe, you will notice that the men in the background are looking off into the distance. At first, I thought they were just teammates watching the game. But, if you look more closely, you will see that they are all looking in different directions. Also, can you see the gun bulge in the suit coat of the fourth man from the right?

Maybe these guys were guards sent along to make sure "The Don" didn't defect to the US?
  4. Canberra, Australia
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 15:51
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Have you?

During this 1832 Australian Tour of Canada and the US there was a substantial amount of trepidation about letting Bradman out of the country. There had been some sort of "mutiny" in 1912 when Australia had last let her Cricketeers leave.

They only let Bradman go on the tour because the Canandian Pacific RR, the sponsor of the tour, insis ...[text shortened]...

Maybe these guys were guards sent along to make sure "The Don" didn't defect to the US?
    They were probably there to make sure Mr Ruth didn't eat him.
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 15:55
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Yes, but the seam isn't as pronounced as in cricket. And, most importantly, it isn't in a straight line straight down the middle of the ball. That's where (most) swing comes from in cricket. In a simplistic way, the seam acts as a rudder, if you can bowl it so that it rotates to keep the seam in the same position and aims it the right way.

So I'd ...[text shortened]... the very lack of rotation that causes the wobble (you get random-looking vortex shedding).
    You make some good points.

I'm not exactly sure where you are trying to get.
    But, let me throw out another factor that you haven't mentioned yet.

Movement of the ball would also be effected by wear on the surface. Baseballs are replaced far more frequently during a game than cricket balls, correct?

Don't you need that wear on one side to throw a googly?

Somehow I think this helps your argument.

Are bowlers prohibited from adding a foreign substance to the ball as they are in baseball?
  6. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 15:55
    Originally posted by dyl
    They were probably there to make sure Mr Ruth didn't eat him.
    LMAO

That was a good one.
  7. Canberra, Australia
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 16:041 edit
    You make some good points.

I'm not exactly sure where you are trying to get.
    But, let me throw out another factor that you haven't mentioned yet.

Movement of the ball would also be effected by wear on the surface. Baseballs are replaced far more frequently during a game than cricket balls, correct?

Don't you need that wear on one side to throw a ...[text shortened]...
    Are bowlers prohibited from adding a foreign substance to the ball as they are in baseball?

They are indeed. Players are often caught rubbing dirt onto one side.

Don't you need [wear] on one side to throw a googly?

A googly (or as I know it, a wrong-un) is bowled by a spin bowler. The wear on one side - the shine on the other being created by constant rubbing on clothing and what-not during the game - aids pace bowlers, who wish the ball to swing in the air.
  8. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 16:07
    I can't remember the point I was trying to make either! I think it was just a clarification of what causes the movement.

Well...

You're correct about replacing the ball. In cricket a ball has to last for 80 overs (480 balls). In general it is easier to swing a ball if one side is kept shiny, so you often find it swinging for a bit and then settling down. (Though then you might get reverse swing, which is where it gets complicated...)

A googly is actually something different. Slow bowlers get turn off the pitch by spinning the ball. This is easier when the ball starts going soft. A googly is a ball where a leg spinner, who usually turns the ball right-to-left, gets it to go left-to-right.

You have similar restrictions on foreign substances.
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 16:261 edit
    So, the ball needs to be soft to throw a googly?

I knew, or sort of knew, that you couldn't do it with a new ball from watching that movie Lagaan.

In terms of reverse spin and injuries to pitchers; in the 30s there was a pitcher named Carl Hubbell. King Carl through a Screwball which was a reverse curve ball. Instead of snapping the wrist out, you snap the wrist inwards. Very difficult to throw. Very difficult to hit, because you don't see it often.

Hubbell ended his carreer with a deformed arm.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 16:29
    So, the ball needs to be soft to throw a googly?

I knew, or sort of knew, that you couldn't do it with a new ball from watching that movie Lagaan.
    Not necessarily; if the ground is soft or dusty then it is easier to do, if the ball is soft too this further improves the spin, but it is possible to spin the ball regardless of these two factors if you're a good enough bowler.
  11. Joined
    10 Mar '03
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 16:33
    Have you?

During this 1932 Australian Tour of Canada and the US there was a substantial amount of trepidation about letting Bradman out of the country. There had been some sort of "mutiny" in 1912 when Australia had last let her Cricketeers leave.

They only let Bradman go on the tour because the Canandian Pacific RR, the sponsor of the tour, insis ...[text shortened]...

I think I did, hang on did I - Mmm not sure now you mention it.

I think there maybe a clue in the post being that I stated the reason why he said it.

Most spinners can bowl a googly with a new ball.
    3 reasons it rarely happens

1. You want the quick using the new ball because of bounce and swing.
    2. Spinners find the new ball harder to grip.
    3. Spinners want to bowl when the pitch is roughed by the quick men so as to get more spin.
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 18:06
    that you couldn't do it with a new ball from watching that movie Lagaan.
    LOL, no wonder you have some misconceptions.

Funny movie though...
  13. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 18:52
    Originally posted by Crowley
    LOL, no wonder you have some misconceptions.

Funny movie though...
    I saw the end of the movie with a friend from London. He watched the first two thirds on the plane.

He said about the guy with the crooked arm, that you couldn't pitch his weird pitch with a new ball and that the british only gave the Indians old balls to practice with.

It was a pretty good movie at the end.

BTW, George and Harry Wright's father was some sort of famous cricket player in England. (Harry organized the 1874 trip to England with Spalding. George pitched for the English in the 1868 game. Geoge and Harry formed the first professional baseball team. George, Harry, Spalding, and Alexander Cartwright all played cricket professionally in the US before baseball.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree