Cricket question

Cricket question

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ro

Moves
04 Apr 13

This question was posted in the puzzles forum.

Every batsmen in an innings gets bowled first ball. Which number batsman is not out?

I assume the answer being looked for is 8. But I can think of 2 conceivable scenarios in which the answer would not be 8. There may well be more.

Answers, please.

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

One or more of the batsmen may have been bowled first ball off a no ball and then got out - not bowled - later, after scoring however many runs.

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

Originally posted by Rank outsider
I can think of 2 conceivable scenarios in which the answer would not be 8. There may well be more.
In our scenario, what year does it take place in and how many balls are there in an over: 4, 5, 6 or 8?

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

There may well be more.
Are there any batswomen in the side?

Ro

Moves
04 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
One or more of the batsmen may have been bowled first ball off a no ball and then got out - not bowled - later, after scoring however many runs.
Debatable. From the laws of cricket, I cannot immediately tell whether you are 'bowled' if it is a no ball. It does say that you cannot be out 'bowled' on a no ball which suggests that possibly you can be 'bowled' and not out, and 'bowled' and out.

So I will give you a point, grudgingly.

😉

I still have two other scenarios, which do not involve such shenanigans.

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

Every batsmen in an innings gets bowled first ball. Which number batsman is not out?
With things going so dreadfully, did they use a nightwatchman?

Ro

Moves
04 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
In our scenario, what year does it take place in and how many balls are there in an over: 4, 5, 6 or 8?
Well done. One of the scenarios is the match is taking place in a year and place when there was more or less than 6 balls in an over.

I have one left.

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

I still have two other scenarios, which do not involve such shenanigans.
Mindful of Mat Prior's series-saving ton in Auckland, when you say they were "bowled", did the bails actually come off in each case?

Ro

Moves
04 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
Are there any batswomen in the side?
Do women refer to themselves at batswomen? I thought they used the term batsmen.

No point as yet for that one.

Ro

Moves
04 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
With things going so dreadfully, did they use a nightwatchman?
Good idea. But doesn't that make them 'promoted' to number 3? So the batsman who is out is different, but not the number.

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

If only two was required to win - and there was a wide or a no ball - maybe only 3 batsmen batted in the innings which was declared with scores level.

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

Good idea. But doesn't that make them 'promoted' to number 3?
Well, gosh. You tell me. We'll have to wait for Ask The Umpire, TMS, 2nd test v NZ, 2012.

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

Do women refer to themselves at batswomen? I thought they used the term batsmen.
I don't have the same fond regard for the 1950s as you appear to have, old chap.

Ro

Moves
04 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
Mindful of Mat Prior's series-saving ton in Auckland, when you say they were "bowled", did the bails actually come off in each case?
The term bowled, in the laws of cricket, talks about the wicket being 'put down'. I think if the wicket remains intact, you are not only not out, but you would not have been bowled either (even allowing for the idea that you can be bowled and not out, as per the no ball suggestion).

Ro

Moves
04 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I don't have the same fond regard for the 1950s as you appear to have, old chap.
Rachael Louise Haynes (born 26 December 1986) is a female Australian cricketer. Predominantly a batsman, she is a member of the Australian team. Haynes plays for Victoria in the Women's National Cricket League (WNCL).

Source : Wikipedia

As with all things on this site, anything Wiki does is by definition correct.