Cricket question

Cricket question

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ro

Moves
04 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
If only two was required to win - and there was a wide or a no ball - maybe only 3 batsmen batted in the innings which was declared with scores level.
Yes, the assumption that every innings needs ten wickets to fall is wrong.

But I can still offer a solution which involves all 10 wickets falling.

Ro

Moves
04 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
I don't have the same fond regard for the 1950s as you appear to have, old chap.
From the research I have done, it appears that 'batsmen' and 'batters' are both acceptable terms for a female cricketer who bats. Certainly, many female cricket commentators and players use the term 'batsman'.

I claw my way back into the 60s. Phew.

Ro

Moves
04 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
I don't have the same fond regard for the 1950s as you appear to have, old chap.
Hang on a minute. Aren't you the same FMF that once claimed that Fred Perry was the last British player to win a Wimbledon singles title?

At least I got past the 30s!

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

Originally posted by Rank outsider
Hang on a minute. Aren't you the same FMF that once claimed that Fred Perry was the last British [b]player to win a Wimbledon singles title?

At least I got past the 30s![/b]
Having listened to a BBC podcast on the subject recently - http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/analysis/analysis_20130318-2100a.mp3 - I am not necessarily willing to subscribe to your perception of who is 100% woman and who is 100% man. Sorry.

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

Certainly, many female cricket commentators and players use the term 'batsman'.
Ah yes, but they probably aren't the sort of people who could answer your OP question.

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

The term bowled, in the laws of cricket, talks about the wicket being 'put down'. I think if the wicket remains intact, you are not only not out, but you would not have been bowled either (even allowing for the idea that you can be bowled and not out, as per the no ball suggestion).
I gather the Kiwis thought Matt Prior was "morally" bowled.

Ro

Moves
04 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
Having listened to a BBC podcast on the subject recently - http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/analysis/analysis_20130318-2100a.mp3 - I am not necessarily willing to subscribe to your perception of who is 100% woman and who is 100% man. Sorry.
Strawperson argument.

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

Source : Wikipedia
There's a definite whiff of red brick off Wikipedia. I am tackling this in elbow patches and armchair mode, with the tutor extemporizing into the middle distance, and me peering out of the casement window in his study at the 2nd XI on the square below, safe in the knowledge that my essay on 14thC ecclesiastical economics will probably get a 2.2. THAT'S where I am mentally with this cricket question.

F

Moves
04 Apr 13

Strawperson argument.
Yes maybe, but it could be 40% strawman and 60% strawwoman. Who gets to decide? Certainly not you. Strawpeople ought to be allowed to define themselves. [Thanks BBC for this new content for the quiver].

F

Moves
06 Apr 13

Here's a variant. Every batsman in a men's team scores 3 off his first ball, does not make a scoring shot off the second ball, and is then bowled third ball. There are no extras conceded, there is no declaration, and the match has six ball overs. Who is last man out and what is the innings total?

F

Moves
17 Apr 13

No looking this up ~ that'd be NO fun at all.

Which of the following two 6-batsman teams would score more runs if all of them scored their career Test average?

Team A
Graeme Fowler
Mark Ramprakash
Alec Stewart
Phil DeFreitas
Martyn Moxon
Chris Lewis

versus

Team B
Tim Robinson
Kim Barnett
Nasser Hussain
Bruce French
Graeme Hick
Jack Russell

Ro

Moves
17 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
Here's a variant. Every batsman in a men's team scores 3 off his first ball, does not make a scoring shot off the second ball, and is then bowled third ball. There are no extras conceded, there is no declaration, and the match has six ball overs. Who is last man out and what is the innings total?
The last man out is number 11 with an innings total of 33, in a match lasting 5.2 overs. Number 10 is not out at the finish.

Ro

Moves
18 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
No looking this up ~ that'd be NO fun at all.

Which of the following two 6-batsman teams would score more runs if all of them scored their career Test average?

[b]Team A

Graeme Fowler
Mark Ramprakash
Alec Stewart
Phil DeFreitas
Martyn Moxon
Chris Lewis

versus

Team B
Tim Robinson
Kim Barnett
Nasser Hussain
Bruce French
Graeme Hick
Jack Russell[/b]
My instinctive view would be that the answer is B. So I should really plump for A, but will stick with B.

F

Moves
18 Apr 13

My instinctive view would be that the answer is B. So I should really plump for A, but will stick with B.
Your answer is noted. You have advanced Team B to the final. Details of the second semi-final to follow tomorrow.

Ro

Moves
18 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
Your answer is noted. You have advanced Team B to the final. Details of the second semi-final to follow tomorrow.
Any chance of the answer to the previous question? I spent my lunch break on it, you know.