7 days to real baseball. 🙂
    Kelly
  2. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 01:25
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    Yes and the Twins are still tied for first.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 02:13
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Yes and the Twins are still tied for first.
    and last
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 02:56
    Kelly
    Hey! 😠 I had a great time at Friday's game! Plus ... they lost. Sounds like *real baseball* to me!
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 17:21
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Hey! 😠 I had a great time at Friday's game! Plus ... they lost. Sounds like *real baseball* to me!
    It is never "real baseball" in the Cubbies' case, just reality results. 😉😛
  6. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 18:34
    Kelly
    The grapefruit league is real 😠

It just doesn't count for anything
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 19:001 edit
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    The grapefruit league is real 😠

It just doesn't count for anything
    Nope, if there are uniform numbers in the 50's 60's and 70's in large quantities and with rare exceptions, those games are meaningless and are purely fictional. Sorry!
  8. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 20:59
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Nope, if there are uniform numbers in the 50's 60's and 70's in large quantities and with rare exceptions, those games are meaningless and are purely fictional. Sorry!
    As a former baseball player who dreamed of a spring training invite, and never got it, I assure you, its quite real. Its single A ball thats fake.
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Mar '08 21:121 edit
    As a former baseball player who dreamed of a spring training invite, and never got it, I assure you, its quite real. Its single A ball thats fake.
    As a former player myself, I assure you it is not real, maybe the last week or so. Until then, it is all about getting your reps in, getting your work done, and about looking at the kids. For the kids, it is very real. For the veteran's it is workouts glorified, no more. Once the rosters get pared down, then it is real. Do you believe that there are many college teams who could beat a pro team (the opening day roster)? But, there are many college teams who could beat the spring training roster. Most top flight college ball is considered on par with top level double A ball. That is why many of the collegiate studs, when drafted, head to double A for their first taste of play for pay. High schoolers generally have a lot of growing and maturing to do which is why they are always dispatched to rookie leagues and low class A ball. Their talent might merit a higher level, but their ability to come to grips with pro lifestyles and responsibilities dictate a learning/transition period.

For what it is worth.
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 14:20
    As a former player myself, I assure you it is not real, maybe the last week or so. Until then, it is all about getting your reps in, getting your work done, and about looking at the kids. For the kids, it is very real. For the veteran's it is workouts glorified, no more. Once the rosters get pared down, then it is real. Do you believe that there are man ...[text shortened]... lifestyles and responsibilities dictate a learning/transition period.

For what it is worth.
    When Gomes came crashing in from right field to deck that horrible, insolent Yankee 😛, it looked pretty real to me, a former sandlot player.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 15:22
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    When Gomes came crashing in from right field to deck that horrible, insolent Yankee 😛, it looked pretty real to me, a former sandlot player.
    We are getting to the last week now, right? Also, remember that looks can be deceiving too!!
  12. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 16:34
    As a former player myself, I assure you it is not real, maybe the last week or so. Until then, it is all about getting your reps in, getting your work done, and about looking at the kids. For the kids, it is very real. For the veteran's it is workouts glorified, no more. Once the rosters get pared down, then it is real. Do you believe that there are man ...[text shortened]... lifestyles and responsibilities dictate a learning/transition period.

For what it is worth.
    Interestingly enough, I had my first practice last night for my baseball league. Its made of ex-minor leaguers and college players, of which I can pretty much say I was both. I'm at a point where I'm entering the "old" players on the team group, at 29. But anyway, what you said came to mind and I raised the question if they thought it was real. The ones who experienced spring training almost all said it is absolutely real, all but one, who I believe was just angry he got released. Those who did not had a mixed response. But we have all played seriously high level ball, and I assume you have to. I suppose its just a matter of opinion. But professionals playing at any level is real ball to me, I can't find anything not real about it, kid or veteran.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 20:33
    Interestingly enough, I had my first practice last night for my baseball league. Its made of ex-minor leaguers and college players, of which I can pretty much say I was both. I'm at a point where I'm entering the "old" players on the team group, at 29. But anyway, what you said came to mind and I raised the question if they thought it was real. The ones ...[text shortened]... g at any level is real ball to me, I can't find anything not real about it, kid or veteran.
    You may be taking what I said out of context. When I said it is not real, let me give you an example. I was a pitcher. In the early and middle spring training games, I might be working on a new pitch that I am considering using during the regular season. I will throw that pitch more times than I would in a game that counted; I would throw that pitch in situations that I wouldn't normally if the game counted; It is a time to work on control and getting a feel for the zone than in the regular season. Managers will experiment with situations and players. They will play young kids who are over matched to see how they will fare. Veterans who already have the team made often do not make the bus trips to other spring training games in lieu of staying back and practicing on a back diamond or getting their reps in on a "B" game. In those respects, the games are not real. In the respect that you need to do well to make the team or you will get cut, and the fact that you are collecting some level of pay for your play, the games are very real. But the standings get wiped away when the season starts. Does that clear up what I meant?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree