1. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    13 Dec '10 08:56
    Derek is reported to be angry with the way his new contract was handled, with what he wanted, with what he got, which was a 3 year, 51 million dollar deal. Everybody likes Derek Jeter, heck, even a lot of us in Red Sox Nation like Derek, he's the latest Mr Yankee for cripes sake.....so lets crunch the numbers a bit. If you are a fortunate enough individual to earn 100,000 dollars a year, which puts you in a high percentile of the population, it will take you 510 years to make 51 million. If you make 50,000 a year, it will take you a whopping 1020 years to make 51 million. So although Derek is a bit angry, I hope he can understand why a few of us might be angry too.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '10 12:25
    Originally posted by Bobla45
    Derek is reported to be angry with the way his new contract was handled, with what he wanted, with what he got, which was a 3 year, 51 million dollar deal. Everybody likes Derek Jeter, heck, even a lot of us in Red Sox Nation like Derek, he's the latest Mr Yankee for cripes sake.....so lets crunch the numbers a bit. If you are a fortunate enough individual ...[text shortened]... So although Derek is a bit angry, I hope he can understand why a few of us might be angry too.
    Crybaby athletes like him are a disgrace indeed. He is overpaid, no longer performs and frankly, I am glad the Yankees are stuck with a sore SOB who will likely bring them down a notch! I also hope they sign Cliff Lee and rid us of another crybaby who failed to perform at crunch time!
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    18 Dec '10 10:09
    Derek is reported to be angry with the way his new contract was handled, with what he wanted, with what he got, which was a 3 year, 51 million dollar deal. Everybody likes Derek Jeter, heck, even a lot of us in Red Sox Nation like Derek, he's the latest Mr Yankee for cripes sake.....so lets crunch the numbers a bit. If you are a fortunate enough individual ...[text shortened]... So although Derek is a bit angry, I hope he can understand why a few of us might be angry too.
    Agreed...poor Derek, we should all cry a river because he only got another 51 mil. Boo Freaken Hoo! :'(
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    18 Dec '10 20:292 edits
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Crybaby athletes like him are a disgrace indeed. He is overpaid, no longer performs and frankly, I am glad the Yankees are stuck with a sore SOB who will likely bring them down a notch! I also hope they sign Cliff Lee and rid us of another crybaby who failed to perform at crunch time!
    This statement really shows how little you know about "THE GAME".
    Your argument is based on a dollar figure of an athlete's salary, but in this day and time, Derek Jeter is part of a dying breed.
    The guy is aging, true...but who isn't (only the dead is the correct answer).
    But, what Derek Jeter does do that most do not is he shows up, prepared for work everyday.
    He keeps his mouth shut and his nose clean.
    He does the job he was paid to do.
    He is a leader among men, and believe me, he IS a leader.
    He plays hurt and doesn't cry about it.
    He doesn't make excuses for poor play or for losing.
    He takes the game seriously.
    He NEVER is an embarrassment to the game.
    He is one of the first guys you would hear EVERY manager in MLB say they would want on their team.
    He doesn't look for headlines about his accolades.
    The guy carries himself with absolute class....EVERY day.

Is he worth this kind of money?
    You bet your ass he is!!!

I am not a Yankee fan either. But I KNOW baseball and I know PLAYERS.
    Derek Jeter is the player that A-Rod aspires to be but cannot, because A-Rod is all about A-Rod. Jeter is about the Yankees.

For all of the sweat, blood, and leadership the guy has provided to the Yankees, yeah, I can fully understand why he would be pissed that Cashman tried to lowball him.

IF George were still alive, Cashman might be fired.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Dec '10 20:44
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Your argument is based on a dollar figure of an athlete's salary, but in this day and time, Derek Jeter is part of a dying breed.
    But, what Derek Jeter does do that most do not is he shows up, prepared for wo ...[text shortened]... that Cashman tried to lowball him.

All that is true. PLUS what Jeter said he was angry about was not the deal, but that during ongoing negotiations Cashman had told the press that Jeter should test the market if he didn't like the Yankees' offer. Given all that Derek has done for the Yankees, that was a low class slap in his face.
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    18 Dec '10 22:041 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    All that is true. PLUS what Jeter said he was angry about was not the deal, but that during ongoing negotiations Cashman had told the press that Jeter should test the market if he didn't like the Yankees' offer. Given all that Derek has done for the Yankees, that was a low class slap in his face.
    Maybe we should take up a donation, and send Mr. Jeter to a grief counsler. After all...his little feelings have been hurt. snif..:'(:'(:'(
  7. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    18 Dec '10 22:36
    But, what Derek Jeter does do that most do not is he shows up, prepared for wo ...[text shortened]... that Cashman tried to lowball him.

Well said. Yes I am a yankee fan. Wrecked
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Dec '10 15:06
    Let's take your numbers and put them into a wider context, shall we? You now have hedge fund managers, like David Tepper, who routinely make over $1 billion per year. If Derek Jeter earns $17 million per year, then it would take him 588 years to make what a hedge fund manager makes in one. It would take your person who makes $50,000 all of 20,000 years to make what a hedge fund manager makes in one. It seems to be all the rage to cry about what baseball players make, but nobody seems to bat an eyelash when hedge fund managers rake in amounts that simply dwarf their pay. If you want to get serious about income inequality, then attack Wall Street and quit wasting your time with the likes of Jeter.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '10 15:58

Regardless of your somewhat sound arguments the dude is a crybaby. He knows better than anyone else his production has declined and he is no longer worth the trouble. If I had been the Yankees he'd be out the door. Cashman was right to ask him to explore the field out there. He signed because no one else wants him. If he's all about the Yankees he should have retired! He's one reason the Rangers beat them in ALCS. The other reason is their dropping games to make sure they would not face Rangers in first round betting Rays would handle Rangers. Karma sucks!
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    20 Dec '10 15:15
    Regardless of your somewhat sound arguments the dude is a crybaby. He knows better than anyone else his production has declined and he is no longer worth the trouble. If I had been the Yankees he'd be out the door. Cashman was right to ask him to explore the field out there. He signed because no one else wants him. If he's all about the Yankees he shoul ...[text shortened]... re they would not face Rangers in first round betting Rays would handle Rangers. Karma sucks!
    Ummmmm, the last time I checked, Derek Jeter was playing shortstop....not pitching!!

Obviously you have never been in a situation where people are rewarded monetarily at the end of their career for their past work with an organization. How many players in the game right now have 4 World Series Championship rings?

Closer to your home, do you remember the treatment that Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio received in their waning years with Houston? They were not told to go test the free agent market, and they were paid more than their production justified. They were paid because they were icons for the team, they had played their entire career for the same team, and they were hard nosed, no non-sense players, who played the game the right way. Know how many World Series Rings they have together???? ZERO.

Jeter doesn't NEED the money, he DESERVES the money...but more so he DESERVES the respect from the club. I tell you this, if Steinbrenner had been alive or in control still, Cashman would be in deep caca!!!!!
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Dec '10 16:47
    Regardless of your somewhat sound arguments the dude is a crybaby. He knows better than anyone else his production has declined and he is no longer worth the trouble. If I had been the Yankees he'd be out the door. Cashman was right to ask him to explore the field out there. He signed because no one else wants him. If he's all about the Yankees he shoul ...[text shortened]... re they would not face Rangers in first round betting Rays would handle Rangers. Karma sucks!
    Jeter had a bad year in 2010 though that bad year was more productive than many other starting SS and he won a Gold Glove. The year before he hit .334 and was third in the AL MVP voting. The assumption that Jeter is washed up because he hit .270 last year is a bit bizarre; I'm fairly certain he'll return to his usual productivity and bat around .300 in 2011. Describing Derek Jeter as a "crybaby" just shows extreme ignorance and/or animus on your part.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '10 18:38
    Jeter had a bad year in 2010 though that bad year was more productive than many other starting SS and he won a Gold Glove. The year before he hit .334 and was third in the AL MVP voting. The assumption that Jeter is washed up because he hit .270 last year is a bit bizarre; I'm fairly certain he'll return to his usual productivity and bat around .300 in 2 ...[text shortened]... scribing Derek Jeter as a "crybaby" just shows extreme ignorance and/or animus on your part.
    The dude is a big crybaby. How does that show animus? Demanding the salary he did after his most unproductive year then complaining because he was told to explore the market is a crybaby thing to do. Yankees owe their championships way more to Mariano Rivera than Jeter. Complaining athletes are getting way old and detestable! You can like him. I don't. Nothing bizarre about it.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Dec '10 18:43
    The dude is a big crybaby. How does that show animus? Demanding the salary he did after his most unproductive year then complaining because he was told to explore the market is a crybaby thing to do. Yankees owe their championships way more to Mariano Rivera than Jeter. Complaining athletes are getting way old and detestable! You can like him. I don't. Nothing bizarre about it.
    I see; you just want to be a jerk. Got it.
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '10 20:22
    I see; you just want to be a jerk. Got it.
    See it as you want to and I see it as I want to. You are no more right or wrong than I am. Mere difference of opinions. As for being a jerk, please explain why this means being a jerk? I am not being ugly about it, simply stating a perception held by many and stating a fact.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '10 20:27
    Ummmmm, the last time I checked, Derek Jeter was playing shortstop....not pitching!!

Obviously you have never been in a situation where people are rewarded monetarily at the end of their career for their past work with an organization. How many players in the game right now have 4 World Series Championship rings?

Closer to your home, do you reme ...[text shortened]... ou this, if Steinbrenner had been alive or in control still, Cashman would be in deep caca!!!!!
    Once MLB teams and other sports decide to treat the business as a business they will no longer be held hostage by players way past their prime. Precedence among other teams should not dictate Yankee policy. Look at how an idiot like Haynesworth at Redskins is treating his team(although admittedly Shanhan is partially to blame).

Who said Jeter wsa a pitcher? I know I did not. Bagwell and Biggio were rgeat in their day. If they no longer need the money they should not burden a team's payroll for years to come to get "deserved" pay past production years. A surgeon no longer producing is not allowed near the OR. Why should ball players be treated differently?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree