1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 03:26
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Once MLB teams and other sports decide to treat the business as a business they will no longer be held hostage by players way past their prime. Precedence among other teams should not dictate Yankee policy. Look at how an idiot like Haynesworth at Redskins is treating his team(although admittedly Shanhan is partially to blame).

Who said Jeter wsa a p ...[text shortened]... longer producing is not allowed near the OR. Why should ball players be treated differently?
    Wake up!! You surely cannot mean that?

My statement about Jeter did not pitch was a subtle rebuff to your statement that he cost the Yankees in the playoffs. Factually, the pitchers did not hold the opposition in check.

Haynesworth was a dirtbag BEFORE the Redskins signed him. They went into it with open eyes and got screwed. Tell me how that has anything to do with Jeter who has never held a gun to the head of the Yankees. He simply asked to be treated fairly. The reason they paid him?....because they deemed he was worth it. Don't you know Boston would have been camped on Jeter's doorstep to sign him, if Cashman hadn't come to his senses? Hell yes they would have. Remember the curse of the Bambino??? The Red Sox would love to avenge that debacle.

Of course Bagwell and Biggio were great in their day. BUT, they got paid handsomely while their skills were declining. Why? Not for the numbers the could produce, but for the presence they had with the club and in the clubhouse.
    Tell me where that is any different with Jeter. It is the same thing.

If you have a hard on for Jeter, just say you don't like the guy. But don't sit there and blast the guy's entire history based upon your ill-conceived notion that he is a washed up has been. That is beneath you.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 12:40
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Wake up!! You surely cannot mean that?

My statement about Jeter did not pitch was a subtle rebuff to your statement that he cost the Yankees in the playoffs. Factually, the pitchers did not hold the opposition in check.

Haynesworth was a dirtbag BEFORE the Redskins signed him. They went into it with open eyes and got screwed. Tell me how that has ...[text shortened]... based upon your ill-conceived notion that he is a washed up has been. That is beneath you.
    I actually love Jeter. But once the whining starts i tire of such antics quickly. For argument's sake. Let's say a player is credited with the ascendancy of a franchise and rewarded. Can same player live with himself if they then cause the deciline of their team they "loved" by taking a contract they know they're not worth once past their prime? Even assuming his production is better than most SS's out there is it right to take such money knowing your're going to be sidelined with injury way more than younger, less productive SS's?
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 18:471 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I actually love Jeter. But once the whining starts i tire of such antics quickly. For argument's sake. Let's say a player is credited with the ascendancy of a franchise and rewarded. Can same player live with himself if they then cause the deciline of their team they "loved" by taking a contract they know they're not worth once past their prime? Even as g your're going to be sidelined with injury way more than younger, less productive SS's?
    First of all, you are talking about the WEALTHIEST franchise in MLB history.
    Their cable tv deal nets them 900 million per year.
    That is over and above the income they make from ticket sales and merchandising.
    Those deals were parlayed because of the performance of the Yankees in winning
    those 4 World Championships, when Mr. Jeter was an integral component.

In this day and time, a SS with his pedigree and past performance would command
    close to the dollars he was asking.
    If you are insinuating that the few million extra they kicked in as a reward will cause
    the Yankees to go bankrupt......I don't think so.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 21:33
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    First of all, you are talking about the WEALTHIEST franchise in MLB history.
    Their cable tv deal nets them 900 million per year.
    That is over and above the income they make from ticket sales and merchandising.
    Those deals were parlayed because of the performance of the Yankees in winning
    those 4 World Championships, when Mr. Jeter was an integral ...[text shortened]... extra they kicked in as a reward will cause
    the Yankees to go bankrupt......I don't think so.
    Last I checked they make such revenue through careful financial dealings, not largesse. No team, even the Yankees, can absorb a multimillion $ hit and remain solvent for long. Spending like drunken sailors just because of deep pockets is silly!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree