1. Standard memberknightwest
    General of GROSS
    Calvin's Treehouse
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 11:42
    I am sure Italy will cheat it's way to the final somehow...
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 15:12
    Originally posted by knightwest
    I am sure Italy will cheat it's way to the final somehow...
    What is it with this cheating obsession that so many English have?
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 18:431 edit
    DE-CO! DE-CO! DE-CO! 😏

Edit - And the English commentator's fawning over Ronaldo was enough to make me puke and I'm Portuguese. Terrible.
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 19:35
    Tonight's match is reminding me of some days of Sunday League football.

The gulf in class between pros and Sunday league isn't so great in those conditions.

D
  5. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    12 Jun '08 19:29
    Originally posted by Palynka

Edit - And the English commentator's fawning over Ronaldo was enough to make me puke and I'm Portuguese. Terrible.[/b]
    I agree.

They seem to think that Portugal are a one man team.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 18:58
    Today, I believe not have a better team than Portugal.

Champion: Portugal
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 20:43
    Originally posted by Mtpaula
    Today, I believe not have a better team than Portugal.

Champion: Portugal
    Portugal deserved tonight's result.

They can't continue to carry a central defender who is completely incapable (frightened? ) of defending.

Pepe gave up on the chase on Podolski for the first, gave away a free instead of defending for the third and then ran away from one of the most dangerous aerial players on the pitch leaving the defending to his left back.

Absolutely atrocious, and if he was Columbian, he probably wouldn't make it through the night. 😉

D
  8. 6yd box
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 20:47
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

They can't continue to carry a central defender who is completely incapable (frightened? ) of defending.

Pepe gave up on the chase on Podolski for the first, gave away a free instead of defending for the third and then ran away from one of the most dangerous aerial players on the pitch leaving the defending to his ...[text shortened]... atrocious, and if he was Columbian, he probably wouldn't make it through the night. 😉

D
    you have never liked him have you?
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 21:42

Pepe gave up on the chase on Podolski for the first, gave away a free instead of defending for the third and then ran away from one of the most dangerous aerial players on the pitch leaving the defending to his ...[text shortened]... atrocious, and if he was Columbian, he probably wouldn't make it through the night. 😉

D
    Lulz!! You really don't know much about football.

Congrats to Germany and good riddance Scolari.
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 21:52
    Originally posted by spurs73
    you have never liked him have you?
    How would you rate his performance?

Sure, he's nice on the ball, but I thought central defenders were supposed to be able to, well... defend.

D
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 21:58
    Lulz!! You really don't know much about football.
    Watch the replays. While Bosingwa tries to stop the cross from Podolski, Pepe is standing watching having given up the ghost.

Instead of defending against Klose, Pepe got done because of his body position and took him out.

Instead of marking Ballack (who was standing right next to him), he decided to run away from Ballack and let Ballack to Ferreira. Klose was off the pitch, so there was absolutely no excuse for Pepe not to be marking Ballack. I presume Carvalho had Metzelder, leaving the other main threat in the air... Ballack to Pepe.

There can only be 2 reasons for Pepe running away from Ballack, 1: he's brain dead, 2: he lacks cajones. Either way, he's not a defender.

D
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 22:01
    How would you rate his performance?

Sure, he's nice on the ball, but I thought central defenders were supposed to be able to, well... defend.

D
    The two last goals were the fault of Scolari's pet, the first was a very nice piece of football.

Pepe did decently. Set pieces are a major point of coaching and it's clearly not his fault that Scolari doesn't know how to organize and train a defense for them. We had the same problem for almost 8 years running during Scolari and Pepe only was part of an handful of games.

It's not enough to pat 11 players on the back and tell them to do a good job out there. Sure, Scolari is a great motivator, but that alone doesn't cut it against the big boys.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 22:062 edits
    Watch the replays. While Bosingwa tries to stop the cross from Podolski, Pepe is standing watching having given up the ghost.

Instead of defending against Klose, Pepe got done because of his body position and took him out.

Instead of marking Ballack (who was standing right next to him), he decided to run away from Ballack and let Ballack to Ferrei ...[text shortened]... from Ballack, 1: he's brain dead, 2: he lacks cajones. Either way, he's not a defender.

D
    Open your eyes, the defense remains in line waiting for Ricardo to pick it up. You can clearly see that none of them really know what they're doing. If you can't see this is Scolari's fault, then I can't help you.

Pepe wasn't even marking Klose initially, but Mertesacker.

Edit - And the third goal, Ferreira was always the one marking Ballack (who actuallly clearly fouled Ferreira). How is that Pepe's fault? Give me a break, you're just trolling.

Edit 2 - And again Pepe was marking Mertesacker who was making a diagonal run. So Pepe did well to keep with him.
  14. Santiago
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 02:031 edit
    What is it with this cheating obsession that so many English have?
    It is the same one that Platini is accusing the English Premier teams of having in the Champions League.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 08:59
    Originally posted by Hopster
    It is the same one that Platini is accusing the English Premier teams of having in the Champions League.
    I agree with you there. Platini's comments were ridiculous...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree