1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Dec '09 13:06
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Absolutely. I would want at least a 2 or 3 match ban for the captain and a fine for the whole team if they abused a system put in place specifically to make the game fairer to the players.

I know the system is getting flak from the likes of Dickie Bird, but in this professional era it is an absolute necessity. Whether umpires like it or not doesn't matter ...[text shortened]... their professional careers are linked to decisions, good or bad, by umpires who are just human.
    is there a cap in the number of appeals one team can make?
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    23 Dec '09 13:211 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    is there a cap in the number of appeals one team can make?
    (I think) it's 3 per innings per team, you keep your 'credits' if the appeal is upheld and you lose one appeal if it's turned down by the third official.
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 13:29
    Wow...
    This is the worst performance by a SA cricket team I've ever seen in a test...
    Let's hope it rains.

England just got away with one in the first test so we need rain now.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 14:47
    Well, well, well.

South Africa 343 & 76/6 (32.0 ov)

England 575/9d

South Africa trail by 156 runs with 4 wickets remaining
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 22:50

England just got away with one in the first test .
    Not for the first time this year 🙂 What are the chances now of SA winning the series?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 09:11
    Swann helps win it for England again.

On his way to Man Of The Series, perhaps.

Monty Panesar may never play a Test again.
  7. 6yd box
    Moves
    02 Jan '10 08:23
    Crowley- very, very quite these days😵😵😵😵😏😏😏
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Jan '10 00:441 edit
    Originally posted by spurs73
    Crowley- very, very quite these days😵😵😵😵😏😏😏
    Vacation in the bosveld, with barely radio reception.

What can I help you with?
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Jan '10 00:481 edit
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    What are the chances now of SA winning the series?
    Well, if we can just get ourselves to play at 75% of our potential and stop selecting an ineffectual Makhaya Ntini, then we can still easily win the series.

We have injured bowlers and emotional selections based on past performance, and we tried to outdo our atrocious batting display with some really bad fielding.
    I hate watching my national side play and I know my school side could have done better...
  10. 6yd box
    Moves
    03 Jan '10 02:16
    Well, if we can just get ourselves to play at 75% of our potential and stop selecting an ineffectual Makhaya Ntini, then we can still easily win the series.

We have injured bowlers and emotional selections based on past performance, and we tried to outdo our atrocious batting display with some really bad fielding.
    I hate watching my national side play and I know my school side could have done better...
    perhaps England did not let your boys play at 100%?""
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 07:19
    Originally posted by spurs73
    perhaps England did not let your boys play at 100%?""
    England did nothing special, SA just can't get the basics right. Jimmy Anderson is quality, but I can't understand how Swann is getting wickets... I can spin the ball more than he can.

Our bowlers are bowling too short, batsmen are lapsing in concentration big time and we're dropping catches.
    I don't know what is going on.

It's the age old South African sports supporter's bane - our teams have very talented individuals and will be on the crest of a wave of good quality, but they can never stay consistent.
  12. Standard memberInlandRevenueUK
    Cause I'm the taxman
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 23:46
    Today disproved the "perfection" of video referal technology. Smith was obviously out, he took the cover off the ball when on 15. He was so obviously caught behind! However despite the umpire giving the correct discission, the 3rd umpire over-ruled as he hadn't turned the mike up.

I appreciate that human error occurs, but Smith was out, no question. For all those who wanted artifical intervention in each discission, I give you the counter argument.

The only thing that may save England are S Africa's traditional conservative tactics, which may allow us to get to a draw...
  13. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 07:23
    Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK
    Today disproved the "perfection" of video referal technology. Smith was obviously out, he took the cover off the ball when on 15. He was so obviously caught behind! However despite the umpire giving the correct discission, the 3rd umpire over-ruled as he hadn't turned the mike up.

I appreciate that human error occurs, but Smith was out, no questio ...[text shortened]... land are S Africa's traditional conservative tactics, which may allow us to get to a draw...
    Who ever said it was perfect? At least we can get glaring errors out now - this is all.

He was given not out, actually, and there was not enough evidence for the TV umpire to overrule.

There has been a few of these in this series alone. Paul Harris was given out LBW in the 2nd(?) test, after it was obvious on review that he had gotten glove on it, facing Swann.

This is the way the review system is set up. Close calls will still get through. It will not be an exact science for a little while.
  14. Standard memberInlandRevenueUK
    Cause I'm the taxman
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 22:24
    Glaring errors like Smith's reprieve?

Whilst it is true that Harper (3rd umpire) upheld the erroneous not out call, if the system is designed to remove obsurd decisions, then what happened?

Harper over-ruled the umpire and gave De Villiers not out when it looked as if he gloved the ball. Again an interesting decision!

I realise that the main reason reason England look like losing the match is their own shortcomings and good play by S Africa - not the umpires! I always say that a team should focus on the issues they can influence, ie their own performance.

However the 3rd umpire system needs working over, or removing and placing the responsibility back with the umpires
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 22:38
    Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK
    Glaring errors like Smith's reprieve?

Whilst it is true that Harper (3rd umpire) upheld the erroneous not out call, if the system is designed to remove obsurd decisions, then what happened?

Harper over-ruled the umpire and gave De Villiers not out when it looked as if he gloved the ball. Again an interesting decision!

I realise that the mai ...[text shortened]... ire system needs working over, or removing and placing the responsibility back with the umpires
    In the hi-tech world we live in, and with such fine margins between the elite in professional sport. That someone 'forgot to turn the sound up' is just ludicrous. Granted in this game it is going to be immaterial, unless there is a comeback of Lazarian proportions by England, but next time a game or a series might be decided by something so ridiculous.

I wonder what the odds are for KP and Colly to put on 400 for the 4th wicket?!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree