1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 09:45
    Originally posted by Palynka

Heskey and Lampard out. Rooney plays up front as the middle man in a 4-3-3 with more focus on width and speed and less possession (England seem really uninspired playing a possession game). A midfield of Barry, Carrick with Gerrard pushed higher up the pitch would provide defensive cover and is able to focus on faster transitions if England play wit ...[text shortened]... omewhat so if an adapted Lennon or SWP is not working then he might be given a go.

Thoughts?
    Certainly some sense there. I hoped he'd leave Rooney out for Algeria, put Crouch up front with Gerrard running off him. Cole on the left, agreed. I'm wary of Carrick in an England shirt, so I'd stick with Lamps and Barry central midfield, Barry to drop back, Lamps to take runs. Wright-Phillips or Lennon on the right, replace at 60 if first choice not working. Defence still looking rocky though, and don't see any easy solution. Try Upson over Carragher?

Whatever Capello does, can he shake 'em up enough to foster a return to form for the Slovenia game? Starting to look a bit unlikely. Why hasn't Joe Cole had a game yet?
  2. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 09:54
    It's been said a million times but the midfield of Barry, Lampard and Gerrard completely failed to get a grip on the game. Three central midfielders and in no way did they dominate the midfield like they should with such a tactical choice. If Capello wants to include Barry then he can't play with Lampard and Gerrard at the same time.

I have to say, the b ...[text shortened]... what so if an adapted Lennon or SWP is not working then he might be given a go.

Thoughts?
    As the huge majority of shots came from the more talented midfielders, I don't know why England is playing a 4-4-2, when the strikers are so ineffective. I think a 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 would be better, and I think Barry is good to have there as insurance in front of the back four.

If you're playing a 4-3-3 and you want to toss Heskey then your forwards are Defoe, Rooney, and Crouch (leaving Heskey as the only forward substitute), and there's going to be a huge gap between the back four and the midfield. As A. Cole and Johnson can both attack very well up the flanks, this will definitely make England a much more attacking threat, but leave them vulnerable. It's risky, especially against the pace of Slovenia, but I think the time has come for risk. Might work well as a first half formation and then switch in the second half because the current crop of players will get exhausted playing like this for the whole game, especially the forwards who will have to drop back a lot when not in possession.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:034 edits
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    As the huge majority of shots came from the more talented midfielders, I don't know why England is playing a 4-4-2, when the strikers are so ineffective. I think a 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 would be better, and I think Barry is good to have there as insurance in front of the back four.

If you're playing a 4-3-3 and you want to toss Heskey then your forwards are whole game, especially the forwards who will have to drop back a lot when not in possession.
    What do you mean my forwards are Defoe, Rooney and Crouch? That sounds awful. I'd play with Rooney in the middle and two natural wingers from Lennon, Cole and SWP.

Of course, in any 4-3-3 in the modern game the forward 3 also have to provide some form of cover, especially with respect to left-backs. Since none of the wingers is tactically strong, this is why I have both Carrick and Barry in the middle (allowing one to drop to the wing when needed without leaving the middle wide open).

As to exhaustion, the good thing with having three wingers at a similar level is that you can rotate without much loss.

Edit - I just have a dislike to having a big lumbering guy upfront, especially when we're talking about Heskey and Crouch which are... decent, but not really World Cup standard. I also don't think it's working because it hasn't opened up a lot of space for Rooney, which was the whole point of having Heskey in the first place.

Edit 2 - I also think Rooney plays very well alone up top. There is this myth he needs Heskey/Berbatov but whenever he plays the lone role with wide men he seems to do fine.

Edit 3 - The 4-2-3-1 you mention would also fit the XI I chose and I also like it. Like the German formation, with Gerrard playing the Ozil role.
    http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3535/germanyside.jpg
  4. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:06
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Certainly some sense there. I hoped he'd leave Rooney out for Algeria, put Crouch up front with Gerrard running off him. Cole on the left, agreed. I'm wary of Carrick in an England shirt, so I'd stick with Lamps and Barry central midfield, Barry to drop back, Lamps to take runs. Wright-Phillips or Lennon on the right, replace at 60 if first choic ...[text shortened]... the Slovenia game? Starting to look a bit unlikely. Why hasn't Joe Cole had a game yet?
    Carragher can't play in the next game due to suspension anyway.

And, I agree, Joe Cole is definitely needed.

Leaving Walcott out is looking more and more like a massive mistake by Capello.
  5. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:14
    What do you mean my forwards are Defoe, Rooney and Crouch? That sounds awful. I'd play with Rooney in the middle and two natural wingers from Lennon, Cole and SWP.

Of course, in any 4-3-3 in the modern game the forward 3 also have to provide some form of cover, especially with respect to left-backs. Since none of the wingers is tactically strong, this is ...[text shortened]... eeds Heskey/Berbatov but whenever he plays the lone role with wide men he seems to do fine.
    I'd like to see Rooney pulling more defenders around and allowing Gerrard/Lampard/Johnson/etc to get some shots in, but he's just been so miserable.

And also, Gerrard prefers playing high up the pitch and has performed as a second striker for Liverpool quite a few times, so he can be part of your forward 3. He's not happy playing anywhere near defensive midfield.
  6. Auckland
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:17
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Is it hard to change your nationality? 😞
    In your case, probably. Apply to Australia.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:171 edit
    And also, Gerrard prefers playing high up the pitch and has performed as a second striker for Liverpool quite a few times, so he can be part of your forward 3. He's not happy playing anywhere near defensive midfield.
    I agree, but he wouldn't be playing defensive midfield in any of my suggestions... Barry and Carrick would do that and he could play more upfront and central.

It's not Rooney's fault. England has been playing without width and that clutters everybody in the center leaving little opportunities to shoot from a central position outside the box.
  8. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:20
    I agree, but he wouldn't be playing defensive midfield in any of my suggestions... Barry and Carrick would do that and he could play more upfront and central.

It's not Rooney's fault. England has been playing without width and that clutters everybody in the center leaving little opportunities to shoot from a central position outside the box.
    I'm starting to like this idea more and more.

Sort of a 4-2-1-3 with Gerrard dictating the forward play.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:22
    Sort of a 4-2-1-3 with Gerrard dictating the forward play.
    Yep, I agree. Did you see my edit 3 above?
  10. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:25
    Yep, I agree. Did you see my edit 3 above?
    Oh, I see it now.

Quite similar to Spain too:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1420/spain2010.jpg
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:333 edits
    Oh, I see it now.

Quite similar to Spain too:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1420/spain2010.jpg
    Mmm... It does look very similar on paper, but Spain plays a possession game so the roles of Iniesta, Silva and Xabi Alonso are quite different. England doesn't have players to play like that, in my opinion.

In terms of player disposition that would be it, just the arrows would have less overlap. I would pick the German one with the player in Muller's position doing the same as Podolski is supposed to do on the other side. Maybe it's a bit too "square" but that would be the main shape for me.
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:36
    Leaving Walcott out is looking more and more like a massive mistake by Capello.
    True.
  13. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:48
    Mmm... It does look very similar on paper, but Spain plays a possession game so the roles of Iniesta, Silva and Xabi Alonso are quite different. England doesn't have players to play like that, in my opinion.

In terms of player disposition that would be it, just the arrows would have less overlap. I would pick the German one with the player in Muller's pos ...[text shortened]... o on the other side. Maybe it's a bit too "square" but that would be the main shape for me.
    When it's set in motion it could look less square as Johnson and A. Cole are both capable of coming right up like Ramos and allowing some good diagonal movement from the wingers and full backs or Gerrard. It looks decent, yet simple, and that's what England needs, some simplicity. And goals.

John Barnes even commented after the game that they're concentrating too much on tactical intricacies and should return to more traditional English football.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:52
    When it's set in motion it could look less square as Johnson and A. Cole are both capable of coming right up like Ramos and allowing some good diagonal movement from the wingers and full backs or Gerrard. It looks decent, yet simple, and that's what England needs, some simplicity. And goals.

John Barnes even commented after the game that they're concent ...[text shortened]... ting too much on tactical intricacies and should return to more traditional English football.
    I hope Capello doesn't read this forum. 😀
  15. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 10:56
    I hope Capello doesn't read this forum. 😀
    Lol. He would steal all our brilliant plans.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree