1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '10 14:031 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's been said a million times but the midfield of Barry, Lampard and Gerrard completely failed to get a grip on the game. Three central midfielders and in no way did they dominate the midfield like they should with such a tactical choice. If Capello wants to include Barry then he can't play with Lampard and Gerrard at the same time.

I have to say, the b what so if an adapted Lennon or SWP is not working then he might be given a go.

Thoughts?
    Way better than who they have played thus far. I would only add that sitting Rooney for start of game and insert him after a goal is scored to add spark and more goals. Otherwise they're toast! Heskey is terrible, but might play better if inserted at later stage of a match as well. Leave Crouch on bench unless absolutely needed. He's no good. Most definitely not a starter but neither is Heskey. Inserting Cole might change complexion and add better ball possession and passing. England possessed the ball 47% of th game and passed poorly against Algeria. If that does not change no way they beat Slovenia. Another change would be to sit lockeroom cancer Terry, nasty on the pitch as in real life. He's a red card waiting to happen. Reality is something needs to be done to shake this team out of the doldrums. Capello also needs to instruct players to stop whining about the boo birds. Bird on top of Algerian net emblematic of failure to provide any offense. Can't even scare a bird away? How are they going to score?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 10:09
    So many fans seem to agree exactly on what Capello is getting wrong, and he is getting it wrong imo.

I agree with the 4-5-1 (switches to 4-3-3 with overlapping wing backs when attacking) for the reasons stated in this thread but also because fundamentally to win the world cup you have to control possession in midfield, and England lose it too easily without the extra width and man across the middle.

We therefore need midfield goal scorers which is why I would keep Lamps (disagree with you on that Paly) and Gerrard in the centre with Cole and Cole overlapping on the left to give the cut-in/cross-in option between them, and lenon/walcott (not SWP) on the right, with someone in the holding position to protect our legless but solid defense.

Everyone sees this except Capello and it pisses me of that I don't get £6,000,000 a year to post it!

PS: despite Heskey being a damn good chap or whatever - how the hell he still gets picked after all these years completely escapes me; it's like a 4 year recurring bad dream!
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 10:11
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I would keep Lamps (disagree with you on that Paly)
    Yeah, that's because you're a biased Chelsea fan. 😛
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 10:13
    Yeah, that's because you're a biased Chelsea fan. 😛
    haha I new you would say that.

Actually I think his scoring record from midfield would justify his selection.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 10:27
    Originally posted by divegeester
    haha I new you would say that.

Actually I think his scoring record from midfield would justify his selection.
    I like Lampard a lot, actually. I just think he doesn't fit the midfield triangle. Maybe if England are losing then switch the midfield triangle to a more attacking minded one.

Still, I also have the feeling that when he and Gerrard are both playing there's too much deference between them. They should focus more on playing their game and not simply worry if they're stepping on each other's toes. They often look to pass to each other and there's less sharpness going forward because of it.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '10 10:57
    I like Lampard a lot, actually. I just think he doesn't fit the midfield triangle. Maybe if England are losing then switch the midfield triangle to a more attacking minded one.

Still, I also have the feeling that when he and Gerrard are both playing there's too much deference between them. They should focus more on playing their game and not simply worry ...[text shortened]... ey often look to pass to each other and there's less sharpness going forward because of it.
    Something doesn't (or hasn't yet) worked between them that's for sure, like the sum of the parts doesn't even make the whole let alone exceed it. Maybe Wednesday will be their final game to prove the doubters wrong. Better not be!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree