Euro 2012 qualifiers

Euro 2012 qualifiers

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
03 Sep 10
1 edit

Start today! (sort of)

Portugal is coming from a decent 2010. Despite massive criticism from the international media, to progress further Portugal had to beat Brazil or Spain. Portugal lost against the eventual world champions only through an off-side goal. Spain is a fantastic team so, in the end, Portugal did well to make it such a tight match.

The aftermath turned a bit ugly with the coach Carlos Queiroz attacking everyone left and right. Apparently, there were already issues brewing and he is now suspended for 6 months for insulting some anti-doping officials who he thought were harassing his players with several tests in a row. He then clashed with the Federation and it has been a never-ending saga in Portugal.

Regardless, we have some nice young players coming up. Simao, Deco and Paulo Ferreira retired from international duties but we have some great upcoming talent in players like Varela or Ruben Micael. Others have potential but are less of a certainty like Veloso, Rolando or Nuno André Coelho.

The main problem is that there are many players injured, like Ronaldo, Varela, Ruben Micael, Duda and Pedro Mendes. Meireles also has had almost no playing time in Porto this year because he was about to be transferred. The good news is that Nani (who was much missed in the World Cup) is back. The bad news is that the midfield choice for the starting 11 seems to pick three players who play in similar positions despite having different styles (Meireles, Moutinho and Tiago). Will there be interchangeability and fluidity or overlap? I would prefer to see Danny in the middle instead of the wing.

We will see how they do against Cyprus.

Let's hear your thoughts for your team. 🙂

PS: This would be my choice for tonight's game:

-------------Eduardo-------------
Miguel--Carvalho--Alves--Coentrao
-------Meireles---Veloso----------
-------------Danny---------------
Quaresma--------------------Nani
-------------Almeida-------------

Moves
03 Sep 10

😀 very important win for ireland... erm how did portugal do against them away? 😛

ireland - better than portugal, it is now confirmed 😏

D

Moves
03 Sep 10

Great start for Ireland.

Quaresma in the starting 11 for Portugal! He's more frustrating than Nani!

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
03 Sep 10

Originally posted by Doyle78
Quaresma in the starting 11 for Portugal! He's more frustrating than Nani!
He's our 4th winger, that's not too bad. He was on fire in his seasons with Porto but since Inter he's just collapsed mentally. Hopefully Besiktas will do him some good. He got the call-up because Ronaldo and Varela are injured.

Our defense looked like they couldn't be bothered. Shocking display, even if this was a friendly. I'm guessing not having the coach there played a part, but there were too many players thinking of the new upcoming season. Poor game.

Moves
04 Sep 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
Shocking display, even if this was a friendly.
erm, wut? check out group h.

edit: btw i though eduardo was playing? how can probably the best gk in one of the best defences of the world cup concede 4 against those guys?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
04 Sep 10
1 edit

Originally posted by trev33
erm, wut? check out group h.

edit: btw i though eduardo was playing? how can probably the best gk in one of the best defences of the world cup concede 4 against those guys?
Sorry, I meant to say even if this had been a friendly it would already have been shocking.

The only explainable thing is Miguel being a washed up wasted player. Poor defending by him led to 3 of those goals and in two of those it would still be ok if Eduardo had not messed up. Everyone in Portugal knows Silvio should be playing as he's our second best right back after the injured Bosingwa. Eduardo had a good game for Genoa just last week, but in the first and last goals he had a brain-freeze.

It's typical Portugal NT. We suck in qualifiers. At least until our backs are against the wall... 😞 Only Meireles gives everything he has all the time.

Still, I liked what I saw. Our defense collapsed yesterday, but it doesn't actually worry me too much, we have quality there. The midfield was were we needed something extra and Manuel Fernandes was tremendous. Quaresma was in top form again, Nani played very well, Almeida is in good form. Danny was not too strong again and is the only thing that worries me.

Moves
05 Sep 10

Sorry, I meant to say even if this had been a friendly it would already have been shocking.

The only explainable thing is Miguel being a washed up wasted player. Poor defending by him led to 3 of those goals and in two of those it would still be ok if Eduardo had not messed up. Everyone in Portugal knows Silvio should be playing as he's our second best ri ...[text shortened]... lmeida is in good form. Danny was not too strong again and is the only thing that worries me.
i hope they get it sorted and top their group, i assume there's going to be playoffs for some of the runner-ups, would hate to see ireland get landed with portugal because they couldn't get their heads out of their asses early on in the campaign again.

i'm sure eduardo is good enough to play in the cl, what's he doing in genoa?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
06 Sep 10

i hope they get it sorted and top their group, i assume there's going to be playoffs for some of the runner-ups, would hate to see ireland get landed with portugal because they couldn't get their heads out of their asses early on in the campaign again.

i'm sure eduardo is good enough to play in the cl, what's he doing in genoa?
Honestly I wouldn't be very surprised if we don't top our group. We've already dropped points at home, our coach is banned for 6 months and we'll play Denmark in October at home...

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
07 Sep 10

Honestly I wouldn't be very surprised if we don't top our group. We've already dropped points at home, our coach is banned for 6 months and we'll play Denmark in October at home...
1 out of 6. Another calamity by Eduardo... 😵

Moves
08 Sep 10

1 out of 6. Another calamity by Eduardo... 😵
that denmark match is looking pretty vital now, lose that and... well, you'd have to make denmark and norway favorites to top the group.

bad result for ireland in russia i think last night, could've done with a draw, now russia comes to ireland needing a result. saying that, they do look poor.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
08 Sep 10

that denmark match is looking pretty vital now, lose that and... well, you'd have to make denmark and norway favorites to top the group.

bad result for ireland in russia i think last night, could've done with a draw, now russia comes to ireland needing a result. saying that, they do look poor.
Well, Denmark and Norway must also play each other, so they will also lose points. I'd say Denmark looks good for topping the group, especially since they seem to have our number.

I also don't understand what's going on with Portugal. It seems more psychological than tactical or the quality of the players (despite injuries). I wonder if it's really the Carlos Queiroz saga or something more...

D

Moves
08 Sep 10

Shocking result for Portugal. However, they do seem to leave it late when it comes to qualifying.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
08 Sep 10

Shocking result for Portugal. However, they do seem to leave it late when it comes to qualifying.
I keep saying that, but then I realize that there are only 6 games left...

i

Moves
10 Sep 10

The fans are mad in Russia. Many are demanding replacing the coach and half the team. Arshavin all but promised 6 points from the next two away games in Macedonia and Ireland. Anything else would be unacceptable at this point.

p

Moves
10 Sep 10

What about Scotland against Leichenstein ,what a laugh !!!