1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 May '10 04:07
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I picked many of the same teams you picked but to be honest neither of us went out on a limb at all.
    Do you know anyone who did not pick either the Yankees, Tampa or Red Sox as their top three? How much credit do you think you deserve for getting two of those three right?
    The Tigers or the Twins were most people's favorites (although some picked the Wh ...[text shortened]... veryone picked the Cardinals and the Cubs in that order and the the Dodgers are tied for last.
    You prove my point. People pretty much know how these teams will do by years end so why play the season?
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    04 May '10 04:39
    Originally posted by whodey
    You prove my point. People pretty much know how these teams will do by years end so why play the season?
    Because most people understand that there are NO ABSOLUTES and NO GUARANTEES in sports. Any Sport!! EVER!!! That is why they play them.

1969 NY Mets were a juggernaut. The 1969 Baltimore Orioles were hacks. Why in the world did they even play the Series. OMG!!! because the huge underdogs won it!!!!!
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 May '10 12:471 edit
    It is even easier to predict other sports. I predicted 14 of the 16 playoff teams (because it is ridiculously easy -- not because i knew anything).

As for your baseball predicytions, did you predict the Padres in first or that Washington and Toronto would be above .500? You overestimated Boston, the Angels and the Dodgers. Of course the season is young and things can and will change but that is why is not accurate to say you already know what will happen.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 May '10 04:54
    Originally posted by quackquack
    It is even easier to predict other sports. I predicted 14 of the 16 playoff teams (because it is ridiculously easy -- not because i knew anything).

As for your baseball predicytions, did you predict the Padres in first or that Washington and Toronto would be above .500? You overestimated Boston, the Angels and the Dodgers. Of course the season is ...[text shortened]... gs can and will change but that is why is not accurate to say you already know what will happen.
    We are playing the averages here. It is like going to Vegas. Sure, you may beat the odds but the more you go back the more likely the odds will catch up with ya. So that is how it goes with MLB. You have teams who essentially buy winning seasons. Of course, even though the odds are with them then don't always pull through, just like in Vegas, but that does not mean that the odds are not stacked against small market teams. Any review of previous standings should reveal that.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 May '10 15:45
    American West
    Currently LA is 1.5 games out of first as Texas leads the way. I'm not worried here.
    I would be. The Angels are terrible. They gave up too many vets this off-season and now they find the cupboard is bare.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 May '10 16:191 edit
    We are playing the averages here. It is like going to Vegas. Sure, you may beat the odds but the more you go back the more likely the odds will catch up with ya. So that is how it goes with MLB. You have teams who essentially buy winning seasons. Of course, even though the odds are with them then don't always pull through, just like in Vegas, but that do ...[text shortened]... e not stacked against small market teams. Any review of previous standings should reveal that.
    I feel you are absolutely wrong. Tampa Bay, Texas and San Diego are all in first place. That's half of the major leagues and you still talk about the Angels, the Dodgers and the Red Sox. You are so convinced you are right you continue to ignore the results of the games.
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    17 May '10 16:11
    I know its early in the season, too early really to make sense of much. But just for fun lets review the standings and my predictions

American East.
    I chose the Yankees to take it all who are only 1.5 games out of first. To my credit, I did pick Tampa for a wild card who are now in first....but not for long. I would say that Boston is the biggest myste ...[text shortened]... eams based upon pay roll and previous performance. The predictability of MLB is mind numbing.
    Looking at the current standings, I notice that a certain small market team currently leads the NL Central - and everyone except the Cardinals are at least 5 games back.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 May '10 19:29
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Looking at the current standings, I notice that a certain small market team currently leads the NL Central - and everyone except the Cardinals are at least 5 games back.
    The Dreds have done this before. It is way to early to come to any conclusions right now. Nuff said.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 May '10 20:43
    The Dreds have done this before. It is way to early to come to any conclusions right now. Nuff said.
    I can't wait to see you eat your words this year.
  10. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 May '10 19:21
    I think it is pretty clear with Tampa, San Diego and Cinncinnati in first place your theory that it is only about money has zero validity.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 May '10 21:48
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I can't wait to see you eat your words this year.
    I hope I do.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    19 May '10 03:28
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    This too shall pass!!!
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 May '10 03:05
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    This too shall pass!!!
    I can't help but agree.
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 May '10 18:01
    Domo Arigato, Mr. Joe Votto.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jun '10 04:101 edit
    Ah to be vendicated. The LA Angels are but a game and a half out of first place. The LA Dodgers are tied for first place. Boston is but a game and a half out for first place with New York tied for first place.

Like I said, the season is a long one and the longer it goes the more likely my scenerio pans out. Sorry fellas, I don't like it any more than you. In fact, it pains me to be right all the time. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree