1. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 00:02
    I quite like to play a bit of sport from time to time but I always find there are those who are not particually good at a game but cheat and excercise loads so that they have extra stamina and try and wear people down physically instead of beating them by skillful play.

What do the others of you around here think? I think it really drags the name of the game into the gutter when people adopt this approach instead of just improving their playing ability- it is simply not sporting!
  2. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 00:30
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I quite like to play a bit of sport from time to time but I always find there are those who are not particually good at a game but cheat and excercise loads so that they have extra stamina and try and wear people down physically instead of beating them by skillful play.

What do the others of you around here think? I think it really drags the nam ...[text shortened]... adopt this approach instead of just improving their playing ability- it is simply not sporting!
    Try Globogym, they are good for this kind of stuff.

If you want to do it right though, go to Average Joe's
  3. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 01:46

What do the others of you around here think? I think it really drags the nam ...[text shortened]... adopt this approach instead of just improving their playing ability- it is simply not sporting!
    each sport has a mix of skill and physically. id say if you can maximize one of the catagories than more power to you. when i played football there would always be guys who would tackle you with pure muscle and no technique. but it worked for them.
    a game like baseball wouldnt work for those type though, as even if they can go a long time if they cant hit the corners theyre toast
  4. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 07:34
    I always find there are those who are not particually good at a game but cheat and excercise loads
    Stick to Billiards and Ten Pin Bowling then lardy.
  5. 6yd box
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 21:22

which 'sports' are you refering to?

Whats wrong with excercising to improve in your chosen sport?
  6. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 21:42
    Nothing, to an extent, but some people also develop a very negative style of play which is designed to drag the game out for ages and ages to try and tire out their opponents instead of beating them when they are fresh but with superior ability.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 21:48
    Try pilates, man. I've heard there some fair play over there.
  8. 6yd box
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 22:23
    Nothing, to an extent, but some people also develop a very negative style of play which is designed to drag the game out for ages and ages to try and tire out their opponents instead of beating them when they are fresh but with superior ability.
    OK..BUT can you please name a few sports where you have exprienced this cheating?
  9. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 06:00
    I agree with Chex, but I also cheat in ways that Chex may not approve of. I agree that the most noble act is to play sport wholly within the rules. The problem is that most people.....95+% in my experience, bend the rules (i.e. cheat to some degree). The rub, in my opinion, is what is acceptable in what situation and what regard.

I play football/soccer...yes, unusual for an american. I think that it is OK to knock a guy down that is rounding you in some situations...especially if is not a direct goal scoring opportunity..but perhaps just a potential break. However, I frown on (but am guilty of) fouls when a direct scoring opportunity was a threat.

My point? cheating is part an parcel of all athletic team events. It is up to the officials to rule. The players should be reasonable, but it is only natural for them to stretch the boundaries of the rules.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 17:48

Working out so you can be in better shape than your opponent is not cheating in competitive athletics! Don't be an idiot.
  11. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 20:14
    It is if it is a game. It is fair enough in something like swimming, running, cycling, rowing etc... In these events, your endurance is really the skill you are testing so should be pushed to its limit.

I was thinking though, what about something such as a raquet sport which should be decided by the more talented player with the best shots. There are some players in this arena who will not work particularly hard on their game and playing ability but, instead, develop a really negative way of playing in order to drag the game on for ages and ages in a stalemate type position to try and tire their opposition out.
    A truely skilled player should be willing to take on fresh opponents and be beating them using superior abiltiy rather then waiting them out. It is like these types in 1 minute chess who are very poor players but have only trained in avoiding being checkmated and are capable of moving their hand extremely fast in order to time out everyone they play. It is not really 'playing' the game.
  12. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 05:311 edit
    It is if it is a game. It is fair enough in something like swimming, running, cycling, rowing etc... In these events, your endurance is really the skill you are testing so should be pushed to its limit.

I was thinking though, what about something such as a raquet sport which should be decided by the more talented player with the best shots. Ther ...[text shortened]... d extremely fast in order to time out everyone they play. It is not really 'playing' the game.
    Bit of a whiner, aren't you? "I truly like to play a bit of sport..." No one talks like that. You remind me of a kid I used to play baseball against. He used to piss himself in the fourth grade, and every time he came up to bat when we were in high school, I'd remind him of the day he pissed himself during movie time. He snapped. Turned in to one of those guys who wears camouflage everywhere, even though they were never in the army.

I don't think you get to get your nose out of joint because once in a while you play a nice shot but you fold late in games because you can't do ten good pushups. Stick to chess.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 07:45

I was thinking though, what about something such as a raquet sport which should be decided by the more talented player with the best shots. Ther ...[text shortened]... d extremely fast in order to time out everyone they play. It is not really 'playing' the game.
    Fitness level shouldn't be a deciding factor in racquet sports? Please. Maybe you should stick to ping-pong if you want only shot-making!
  14. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 00:24
    Yeah but it is like these losers who will try and run away from a fight, just to make you chase them - only pussies behave like this. I say, stand and fight or you are never going to be a man!

If people think fitness is all that is important, then dont ruin sports games for real people - go away and speand your life on a treadmill, cause that is the only thing that will ever respect you!
  15. 6yd box
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 01:55
    Yeah but it is like these losers who will try and run away from a fight, just to make you chase them - only pussies behave like this. I say, stand and fight or you are never going to be a man!

If people think fitness is all that is important, then dont ruin sports games for real people - go away and speand your life on a treadmill, cause that is the only thing that will ever respect you!
    i have no idea what you are chating about!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree