1. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Joined
    22 Jan '13
    Moves
    1834
    23 Mar '13 01:37
    I never even heard of FGC
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    The Energizer
    where you want to be
    Joined
    28 Jan '07
    Moves
    66518
    23 Mar '13 15:33
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    I never even heard of FGC
    This is only their second year to be playing at this level.
    Typical case David vs Goliath.

    This is why the refer to this as "March Madness"
  3. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Fort Lauderdale
    Joined
    17 Aug '06
    Moves
    119668
    24 Mar '13 06:42
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    I never even heard of FGC
    The Miami Hurricanes, a 2 seed in the Tourney (probably deserved a 1) lost to FGC earlier in the season. They've been taking heat all year on the blogs... doesn't seem so crazy now.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    2996
    24 Mar '13 13:21
    Most enjoyable game. I love huge upsets like this just like the upset of Gonzaga by Wichita St. I hope the upsets keep coming!
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    The Energizer
    where you want to be
    Joined
    28 Jan '07
    Moves
    66518
    24 Mar '13 23:33
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Most enjoyable game. I love huge upsets like this just like the upset of Gonzaga by Wichita St. I hope the upsets keep coming!
    Understandable in that you believe college teams can beat pro teams.
  6. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Fort Lauderdale
    Joined
    17 Aug '06
    Moves
    119668
    25 Mar '13 08:26
    UFGC are probably the most loved of the cinderella teams! They play my team next, the hated Gators this Friday..

    welcome to the sweet 16!
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    2996
    25 Mar '13 11:39
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Understandable in that you believe college teams can beat pro teams.
    Not in basketball and not any team. Just the bigs vs the lows in football. I doubt just any NFL team could beat Bama. It can and does happen in many sports. Look at the FA Cup in merry old England. A non league team beat a Premier League team in the third round of the cup. Division 3-4 teams as well as 2 beat Arsenal, Tottenham, Norwich, Everton et al. There have been upsets galore.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16334
    25 Mar '13 18:461 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Not in basketball and not any team. Just the bigs vs the lows in football. I doubt just any NFL team could beat Bama. It can and does happen in many sports. Look at the FA Cup in merry old England. A non league team beat a Premier League team in the third round of the cup. Division 3-4 teams as well as 2 beat Arsenal, Tottenham, Norwich, Everton et al. There have been upsets galore.
    You are an idiot, plain and simple. The difference in skill level from college to NFL is higher than that from college to NBA. This is evidenced by how many basketballers used to go pro right out of highschool. I think the biggest disparity from college to pro happens in baseball which is a very technical game requiring a very very high degree of precision and skill in very different ways, batting, feilding and pitching.
  9. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Fort Lauderdale
    Joined
    17 Aug '06
    Moves
    119668
    26 Mar '13 14:04
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    You are an idiot, plain and simple. The difference in skill level from college to NFL is higher than that from college to NBA. This is evidenced by how many basketballers used to go pro right out of highschool. I think the biggest disparity from college to pro happens in baseball which is a very technical game requiring a very very high degree of precision and skill in very different ways, batting, feilding and pitching.
    I don't think he's an "idiot," but I certainly agree with your post 😉
  10. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Fort Lauderdale
    Joined
    17 Aug '06
    Moves
    119668
    27 Mar '13 14:59
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    You are an idiot, plain and simple. The difference in skill level from college to NFL is higher than that from college to NBA. This is evidenced by how many basketballers used to go pro right out of highschool. I think the biggest disparity from college to pro happens in baseball which is a very technical game requiring a very very high degree of precision and skill in very different ways, batting, feilding and pitching.
    He's talking about Soccer in England... This is apples/oranges..

    who cares? sweet 16 is just that. some good matchups.

    The B1G looks stacked, but it will be awesome to see how it plays out!
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16334
    28 Mar '13 04:571 edit
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    He's talking about Soccer in England... This is apples/oranges..

    who cares? sweet 16 is just that. some good matchups.

    The B1G looks stacked, but it will be awesome to see how it plays out!
    He specifically said the Alabama college football team could beat an NFL team. That is what we call complete lunacy.
  12. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Joined
    22 Jan '13
    Moves
    1834
    30 Mar '13 02:391 edit
    Just wanted to mention that the Super Bowl/NFL champions used to play the College All-Stars from 1934-1976. The pros won 31, lost 9, and tied 2 and won the last 10. But that was the CHAMPIONS, not just 'any' NFL team. Also the College All-Stars had little playing time together and maybe an Alabama team would fare better, especially against a losing NFL team.

    I don't think it's that far-fetched that Alabama beat an NFL team.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_All-Star_Game

    Also, the 1992 Olympic basketball 'Dream Team' lost a scrimmage game to a team of college players by 8 points.:


    http://articles.latimes.com/1992-06-25/sports/sp-1411_1_olympic-team
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    The Energizer
    where you want to be
    Joined
    28 Jan '07
    Moves
    66518
    30 Mar '13 04:05
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    Just wanted to mention that the Super Bowl/NFL champions used to play the College All-Stars from 1934-1976. The pros won 31, lost 9, and tied 2 and won the last 10. But that was the CHAMPIONS, not just 'any' NFL team. Also the College All-Stars had little playing time together and maybe an Alabama team would fare better, especially against a losing NFL t ...[text shortened]... rs by 8 points.:


    http://articles.latimes.com/1992-06-25/sports/sp-1411_1_olympic-team
    NO, it would not happen...period.
  14. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Joined
    22 Jan '13
    Moves
    1834
    30 Mar '13 04:58
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    NO, it would not happen...period.
    And Buster Douglas could never beat Mike Tyson, Upset could never beat Man O' War, the 1980 U.S. Olympic amateur hockey team could never beat the powerful (arguably pro) Russians, Teofilo Stevenson, the great amateur Cuban Olympic heavyweight boxer would never beat any pro boxer, Max Euwe the amateur chessplayer would never beat Alexander Alekhine...period. 😉
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16334
    30 Mar '13 06:39
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    Just wanted to mention that the Super Bowl/NFL champions used to play the College All-Stars from 1934-1976. The pros won 31, lost 9, and tied 2 and won the last 10. But that was the CHAMPIONS, not just 'any' NFL team. Also the College All-Stars had little playing time together and maybe an Alabama team would fare better, especially against a losing NFL t ...[text shortened]... rs by 8 points.:


    http://articles.latimes.com/1992-06-25/sports/sp-1411_1_olympic-team
    The word in the NFL is parity... If Bama could beat an NFL team they could beat any NFL team. There is an athletic gap the size of the grand canyon between 1976 and 2013.
Back to Top