Freshman is Leading Heisman Contender

Freshman is Leading Heisman Contender

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
27 Nov 12

Originally posted by moon1969
I think it is -- not -- a good strategy to tear down another Heisman candidate. For example, it is not good strategy for pro-Manziel people to tear down or belittle Te'o. Actually belittles Manziel in a way in my opinion. Instead, the focus should be on positives of each candidate.

In support of Te'o, I think the Te'o relatively low stats while rele ...[text shortened]... wrong -- in talent, intellect, performance on the field, and leadership on and off the field.
Does anyone not understand that diminished stats for Te'o are most likely due to the
fact that the other team knows how good he is, and elects to execute plays away from
him, rather than right at him?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
27 Nov 12

For a linebacker to be second in the nation in INTs is remarkable.

I do expect Manziel to win the Heisman, however.

Houston, Texas

Moves
27 Nov 12

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Does anyone not understand that diminished stats for Te'o are most likely due to the
fact that the other team knows how good he is, and elects to execute plays away from
him, rather than right at him?
That's a little weak rationale. Instead, I just wouldn't focus on the stats but look at the disruption to the opposing offense he creates on the field, for example. And as Marauder noted, it is incredible for a linebacker to have so many interceptions.

s

Moves
27 Nov 12

Johnny Football (Manziel) of Texas A&M (beat Alabama, and their two losses were close against Florida and LSU) apparently has a decent shot to win the Heisman. And he is a redshirt freshman.

[quote][b]Texas A&M Aggies quarterback Johnny Manziel leads Scripps Heisman Poll

In its 77-year history, the Heisman Trophy has never been given to a freshma ...[text shortened]... sports/texas-am-aggies-quarterback-johnny-manziel-leads-scripps-heisman-poll#ixzz2Cu9NqLVC[/b]
Either Manziel or Manti T'eo would be worthy winners of the Heisman. I personally prefer Manziel because he has performed his glorious season as a freshman evidencing the poise and flair of a seasoned player. He is as much the heart and soul of the A&M Aggies as Manti T'eo is of the Irish. If Manziel comes in second he will have done so against a worthy opponent. An vice versa!

Houston, Texas

Moves
29 Nov 12

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Either Manziel or Manti T'eo would be worthy winners of the Heisman. I personally prefer Manziel because he has performed his glorious season as a freshman evidencing the poise and flair of a seasoned player. He is as much the heart and soul of the A&M Aggies as Manti T'eo is of the Irish. If Manziel comes in second he will have done so against a worthy opponent. An vice versa!
Looks like Manziel is going to get the Heisman this year.

s

Moves
30 Nov 12

Looks like Manziel is going to get the Heisman this year.
I certainly would not quibble with that! Manti will get the Butkus and probably many other defensive awards. Boy did my heart sink when Manziel clutched his knee after a hard tackle in the game against Mizzou! It would have been heartbreaking had the injury been serious. But I digress. I also truly think the Irish will win the NCG against either Bama or Dawgs despite how highly rated SEC has been of late. I think than other than A&M SEC is on a downward curve.

Houston, Texas

Moves
30 Nov 12
2 edits

I certainly would not quibble with that! Manti will get the Butkus and probably many other defensive awards. Boy did my heart sink when Manziel clutched his knee after a hard tackle in the game against Mizzou! It would have been heartbreaking had the injury been serious. But I digress. I also truly think the Irish will win the NCG against either Bama or ...[text shortened]... e how highly rated SEC has been of late. I think than other than A&M SEC is on a downward curve.
Yeah there was some trepidation for a few minutes when Manziel's knee was in question.

I am not so sure that the SEC is in decline. Maybe a negative "blip," but not a trend. The positve fundamentals are there, and SEC recruiting will be even better. And maybe overall not even a negative blip, considering improvement in the east division, and the addition of A&M and Missouri. By the way, Missouri will regularly have a ranked team.

s

Moves
30 Nov 12

Yeah there was some trepidation for a few minutes when Manziel's knee was in question.

I am not so sure that the SEC is in decline. Maybe a negative "blip," but not a trend. The positve fundamentals are there, and SEC recruiting will be even better. And maybe overall not even a negative blip, considering improvement in the east division, and the addition of A&M and Missouri. By the way, Missouri will regularly have a ranked team.
I am telling you. I've never seen a Bama defense as gassed as when they played A&M. Other SEC vaunted D's looked the same. Uptempo attacks are the way to play these fatsos!

Houston, Texas

Moves
30 Nov 12

I am telling you. I've never seen a Bama defense as gassed as when they played A&M. Other SEC vaunted D's looked the same. Uptempo attacks are the way to play these fatsos!
True, but there is a lot more to the SEC than Alabama.

Houston, Texas

Moves
01 Dec 12

Checkout this haircut with Johnny Manziel's image shaved into the scalp. Click on the link to see a photo.

The 17-yr old high school kid with the haircut was placed in isolation at school yesterday for distracting other students with his haircut.

http://www.chron.com/news/state/article/Johnny-Manziel-inspired-haircut-clips-student-4079077.php

s

Moves
01 Dec 12

Checkout this haircut with Johnny Manziel's image shaved into the scalp. Click on the link to see a photo.

The 17-yr old high school kid with the haircut was placed in isolation at school yesterday for distracting other students with his haircut.

http://www.chron.com/news/state/article/Johnny-Manziel-inspired-haircut-clips-student-4079077.php
I saw that and find it sort of ridiculous to place a student in isolation for that, but then allow all other sorts of misbehavior to continue unabated. If the kid had shaved Obama into his head they'd be giving him a medal! Teachers wear such low cut blouses these days the poor boys have to take cold showers during gym! How about isolating these cows instead!?

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
01 Dec 12

I saw that and find it sort of ridiculous to place a student in isolation for that, but then allow all other sorts of misbehavior to continue unabated. If the kid had shaved Obama into his head they'd be giving him a medal! Teachers wear such low cut blouses these days the poor boys have to take cold showers during gym! How about isolating these cows instead!?
Where do you get your information from??
Are you hanging out in the boys locker rooms to see they are taking cold showers.

If you read the school's rules, they are fairly clear on the matter.
To the school's credit, they didn't suspend him, they isolated him to avoid a
disturbance. I realize this isn't a gang related activity, but if they had given him a
free pass with the crazy haircut and dye/paint job on it, then they would be open
to problems dealing with gang related aspects, which there are plenty of.

I know you didn't think of this before you answered, but give it some thought.
I think the principal handled it perfectly. The question that bears asking here is
why did the kid cut school for the day so he could drive to San Antonio to get a
5 hour haircut for $100?? It seems to me, his time would be served in the classroom.

Houston, Texas

Moves
01 Dec 12

I generally agree with you but you lost me on these comments.

Houston, Texas

Moves
04 Dec 12

It's official. Manziel has been selected as a finalist and invited to New York.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
08 Dec 12

It's official. Manziel has been selected as a finalist and invited to New York.
Oh man, so was Te'o. Real drama brewing here........