Giant Collapse

Giant Collapse

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Dec 10

Incredible. The special teams have been bad all year, but to give away such an important game is incredible. Why did a Philly onside kick with six minutes to go with the G-Men up by 2 TDs catch us so much by surprise that none of our guys were within 5 yards of the Eagle who fielded the kick? And why, oh why, would you kick a ball to DeSean Jackson with 12 seconds to go in a tie game?

Saving the season now seems unlikely, but the special teams coach should be immediately fired for such a debacle.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
20 Dec 10

Originally posted by no1marauder
Incredible. The special teams have been bad all year, but to give away such an important game is incredible. Why did a Philly onside kick with six minutes to go with the G-Men up by 2 TDs catch us so much by surprise that none of our guys were within 5 yards of the Eagle who fielded the kick? And why, oh why, would you kick a ball to DeSean Jackson with ...[text shortened]... now seems unlikely, but the special teams coach should be immediately fired for such a debacle.
It could be worse...they could be the Seahawks!

s

Moves
20 Dec 10

Incredible. The special teams have been bad all year, but to give away such an important game is incredible. Why did a Philly onside kick with six minutes to go with the G-Men up by 2 TDs catch us so much by surprise that none of our guys were within 5 yards of the Eagle who fielded the kick? And why, oh why, would you kick a ball to DeSean Jackson with ...[text shortened]... now seems unlikely, but the special teams coach should be immediately fired for such a debacle.
That was quite a debacle indeed! I could not believe it! I bet Coughlin will be shown the door if the Giants tank out and are a first round bounced team! How can a defense get that gassed? How can an offense that scored so many points early fail to keep it up in the fourth quarter?

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
20 Dec 10

Like in video game they do not know how to punt it out of bounds. But I am glad for the eagles they are my favorite team out of that division.

t

Moves
20 Dec 10

Originally posted by bill718
It could be worse...they could be the Seahawks!
Except the only part of the seahawks that is good IS the special teams. 😵

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
20 Dec 10

Why is it unlikely? All they have to do is beat GB and they're in the playoffs.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
20 Dec 10

The coach told the punter to punt it out of bounds. The punter was going to, but because of a bad snap, he was worried only with getting it away and so he made a bad punt.

Fire a coach for that? Hardly.

s

Moves
20 Dec 10

Originally posted by sh76
The coach told the punter to punt it out of bounds. The punter was going to, but because of a bad snap, he was worried only with getting it away and so he made a bad punt.

Coach is OK. The players are in need of firing. What kind of a sorry team cannot even run some clock off being up 21 points in 4th qt? I agree coach is not at fault for teams' bad execution the fourth qt.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Dec 10
1 edit

Have you actually watched the games this year? Dodge has been lousy and his excuse is pathetic. He appeared to have plenty of time to kick it out of bounds. And our coverage has been terrible all year on both kickoffs and punts. And you're ignoring the absurd way an onside kick caught us flatfooted with 6 minutes to go and a 14 point lead.

The special teams coach richly deserves firing for such a disaster and for the subpar performance of his squads all year.

EDIT: Looking at the stats the G-Men are actually 3rd best in defending Kickoff Returns. But they are 31st in defending Punt Returns and Dodge is 29th in Net Yardage per punt. And our return teams are by far the worst in the league: 31st in Kickoff Returns and dead last in Punt Returns.

I'd say that body of work merits termination.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Dec 10

Why is it unlikely? All they have to do is beat GB and they're in the playoffs.
Beating Green Bay on the road seems unlikely to me after such a pathetic collapse. We may be headed for a repeat of 2009.

s

Moves
21 Dec 10

Have you actually watched the games this year? Dodge has been lousy and his excuse is pathetic. He appeared to have plenty of time to kick it out of bounds. And our coverage has been terrible all year on both kickoffs and punts. And you're ignoring the absurd way an onside kick caught us flatfooted with 6 minutes to go and a 14 point lead.

...[text shortened]... ns and dead last in Punt Returns.

Sound arguments. It's NYC! Anything might happen! I had no idea NYG's were so dismal on special teams!

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
22 Dec 10

...[text shortened]... ns and dead last in Punt Returns.

I have no problem with any of that. I just don't think that play in a vacuum merits termination. As far as over-all performance does, that's another matter.

s

Moves
23 Dec 10

I have no problem with any of that. I just don't think that play in a vacuum merits termination. As far as over-all performance does, that's another matter.
Not a play in a vacuum at all. Inept kicker, inept coaching and inept Giants play. They lost their mojo indeed! Coughlin is good at reviving Giants from the ashes. It will take real magic this time!

s

Moves
24 Dec 10

More evidence of classy NYC behavior. Press conference post-game for Eli Manning. Press can't even show up on time. Quite respectful indeed!

http://celebrifi.com/gossip/Watch-Eli-Manning-Press-Conference-Video-Where-IsEveryone-4350147.html

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
24 Dec 10

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
More evidence of classy NYC behavior. Press conference post-game for Eli Manning. Press can't even show up on time. Quite respectful indeed!

http://celebrifi.com/gossip/Watch-Eli-Manning-Press-Conference-Video-Where-IsEveryone-4350147.html
Eli Manning was born and grew up in New Orleans and went to school at Ole Miss. Their entire family has southern roots, through and through.

If Eli Manning has a character flaw or isn't classy, it isn't New York's fault.