1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    22 Sep '09 06:06
    I want to get my handicap down to a consistent sub 20. At the moment I'm hitting an 87 one week and a 95 the next and back again. I don't have much access to a range and can't afford lessons.

Does anyone have any simple tips I could employ to try staying more consistent? I know I could get down to 14-16 if I had regular practice, but in light of a lack of time and money does anyone have any achievable suggestions?
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '09 07:51
    Ask for the cups to be made much bigger. About 1ft in diameter should bring that handicap right down. 🙂
  3. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 12:50
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I want to get my handicap down to a consistent sub 20. At the moment I'm hitting an 87 one week and a 95 the next and back again. I don't have much access to a range and can't afford lessons.

Does anyone have any simple tips I could employ to try staying more consistent? I know I could get down to 14-16 if I had regular practice, but in light of a lack of time and money does anyone have any achievable suggestions?
    What would you say was the worse part of your game?
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 13:04

I usually average about 110 per 18 holes.

Got any tips for me?
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 14:54
    Originally posted by darvlay

Got any tips for me?
    take up fishing
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 15:07
    Originally posted by Red Night
    take up fishing
    he went from fishing to golf 😳
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 15:12

put a net up in the garden if you have one big enough and buy a few self teaching videos/books.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 15:141 edit
    Originally posted by Red Night
    take up fishing
    LOL. Sound advice.

I hate golf.
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 18:12
    LOL. Sound advice.

I hate golf.
    BLASPHEMY!
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 19:59

Got any tips for me?
    Have one lesson, just one, it can instantly correct the very basic faults and knock 10-15 shots off your game. Failing that, basics: grip, stance, swing plane, keep your knees still on the backswing.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 20:00
    Originally posted by rmacken
    What would you say was the worse part of your game?
    Consistency, putting, slicing my drive.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Sep '09 00:221 edit
    Consistency, putting, slicing my drive.
    Two things that can help you here.

For consistency. Ground your club behind your ball as you prepare for your swing. For your take away, make a conscious effort to drag the club on the ground for 12 inches behind the ball before your club loses contact with the ground. Take you backswing slowly. At the top of your swing you will feel a natural wrist cock occur. At that moment, pretend that you are holding a sickle. With your lead hand, slowly swing the club just as you would a sicklewhile rotating your hips at impact. This is a very easily repeatable swing which will produce consistency for you.

Regarding your slice. This is caused by your hips rotating before your hands can turn over. This should correct considerably with the technique above, however, some people are not able to draw the ball. If you are one of those, fear not, for you can play quite successfully hitting the fade. I play the fade predominantly because i am not consistent with my draw. If you get too quick on a draw you will produce a hard hook or a pull hook which can be worse than a slice.

Give this a try and see if it doesn't work for you. This technique to 10 strokes off my game. I am not a great golfer by any means. I generally shoot in the low 80"s, but I don't play enough to get the scores down into the 70's on a regualr basis.

As far as putting goes, this is one of the great mysteries of the universe. Everyone is so different here because of grip, comfort, stance, vision line, etc... My suggestion here is find something that works for you and stick with it. What works for me might never work for you. Putting is a major portion of the game of course, but just keep trying things and putters until something works for you.

Good luck to you.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    24 Sep '09 06:34
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Two things that can help you here.

For consistency. Ground your club behind your ball as you prepare for your swing. For your take away, make a conscious effort to drag the club on the ground for 12 inches behind the ball before your club loses contact with the ground. Take you backswing slowly. At the top of your swing you will feel a natural wrist ...[text shortened]... but just keep trying things and putters until something works for you.

Good luck to you.
    Thank you, I'll give it a go at the range this weekend.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '09 23:293 edits

All I know to do is send you a film of me swinging a club and then have you do the EXACT opposite of what I do.

In short, my drive is a 90 degree slice, so when I drive I try and compensate by driving in the wrong direction in the hopes that is slices in the direction I am aiming. Of course, when I compensate too much the slice usually does not slice and it goes straight. My irons are not much better. The don't slice as badly, but usually I top them or divit too far under the ball when using them. As for my putting, well, lets just say its the best aspect of my game, which is not saying much at all.

I have tried everything to "fix" my golfing woes. I have tried reading magazines, taking lessons, and heeding the advice of well menaning a perplexed friends. All I can say is that the more I play, the worse I become.

Other than that, I love to play!!
  15. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    25 Sep '09 02:39
    Play a round a week with only your 7 iron and a putter. Add clubs slowly. But really limit what you take.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree