1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    25 Sep '09 21:53
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    Play a round a week with only your 7 iron and a putter. Add clubs slowly. But really limit what you take.
    How is forcing a player to change his swing twice per hole, because he only has one club, helping?
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '09 21:56
    Originally posted by Crowley
    How is forcing a player to change his swing twice per hole, because he only has one club, helping?
    i guess he's never tried getting out of sand close to the green with a 7 iron.
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    25 Sep '09 22:25
    Originally posted by trev33
    Or 30 yards out with water at the back and a bunker to get over...
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 04:29
    Originally posted by trev33
    choke way down....
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 04:29
    Or 30 yards out with water at the back and a bunker to get over...
    punch it.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 08:46
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    punch it.
    With a 7 iron? Not likely.
  7. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 11:43
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Consistency, putting, slicing my drive.
    Consistency......... As Shorty said.

Slice, again as Shorty said but can also be because of your stance. Many people dont stand sqaure to the ball and the target therefore leaving the clubface open on contact (likewise as said about hip movement.). I that if you address the ball ready to take a shot, get a playing partner to lay a club on the ground at both feet (toes), take a spet back and see where your target aims, more often than not the average player will be out one way or the other.

Putting, This can only be put down to practice. Its best to get 5 putters that you like from the pro-shop down the range and test all of them out, roughly 20 shots per club from all different angle. You will eventually find one that has a good weight and balance to it. After that its just practice practice practice.

You will see the majority of people who use a drinving range get their irons and driver out of their bags and plug 100 balls down the range then just back in the car and go home. The PUTTER is the most used club in the bag yet its rarely practiced. Each and every course green is different from the last, whether it be the grass used, the cut of grain, the gradients etc etc but you will never appreciate a feel for the shots until you do them. I ALWAYS go on the practice green before each game to get a feel for the greens on the course, they are normally (if not very close) going to be the same type.

I hope these few tips help you out. I play off single figures and hope to be scratch by the end of next year.

Good luck
  8. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 11:45
    choke way down....
    and open the club face.
  9. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 11:47
    Obviously a 7 iron has its distance limitations but with a punch shot you will get a few extra yards than a normal shot, it will generate a lower flight with a longer run on the ball once its on the ground (as long as its a relatively clean shot)
  10. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 14:30
    It works on control. A 7 can't get you in deep trouble, its pretty hard to spray a 7. The idea is to play patient bogy golf. Leard that you arn't going to get there in one or two but you should be able to play the fairway all the way there and bump and run onto the green. Control, control control.
  11. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 14:33
    Originally posted by rmacken
    Consistency......... As Shorty said.

Slice, again as Shorty said but can also be because of your stance. Many people dont stand sqaure to the ball and the target therefore leaving the clubface open on contact (likewise as said about hip movement.). I that if you address the ball ready to take a shot, get a playing partner to lay a club on the ground at bo ...[text shortened]... you out. I play off single figures and hope to be scratch by the end of next year.

Good luck
    don't forget a small bucket of range balls after the round. Work on fresh faults.
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 07:36
    Originally posted by rmacken
    Obviously a 7 iron has its distance limitations but with a punch shot you will get a few extra yards than a normal shot, it will generate a lower flight with a longer run on the ball once its on the ground (as long as its a relatively clean shot)
    I'm no golf pro, but in my mind this is crap advice.
    A player now has to force himself to change his swing all the time and this is counter-productive.

An amateur needs to work on consistent, properly executed swing, as this is where all us hackers struggle.
    This may work for an experienced golfer trying to work out a little niggle, but not for an inexperienced player.
    Proper punch shots etc. are skills you pick up AFTER getting your normal swing sorted.

An inexperienced guy is probably going to swing hard off the tee and bring in all kinds of weird grips and swings when closer to the green.

Work on your shots on the range, not on the course.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 11:22
    maybe for you, but very possible if you know what you are doing.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 11:26
    I'm no golf pro, but in my mind this is crap advice.
    A player now has to force himself to change his swing all the time and this is counter-productive.

An amateur needs to work on consistent, properly executed swing, as this is where all us hackers struggle.
    This may work for an experienced golfer trying to work out a little niggle, but not for an in ...[text shortened]... ps and swings when closer to the green.

Work on your shots on the range, not on the course.
    You have expressed your opinion, as have Mack and myself. Mack and I can both handle ourselves on the course well enough, and you are a self-professed hacker.

It makes perfect sense to me that he should dismiss everything Mack and I have said and listen to your opinion. Please carry on and tell us everything else you don't know so we can all benefit.
  15. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 19:461 edit
    You have expressed your opinion, as have Mack and myself. Mack and I can both handle ourselves on the course well enough, and you are a self-professed hacker.

It makes perfect sense to me that he should dismiss everything Mack and I have said and listen to your opinion. Please carry on and tell us everything else you don't know so we can all benefit.
    Wow, you're so cool.
    Do you wear those awesome chequered three-quarter pants with long woolly socks too? I do, and they always make me feel like an awesome golfer too...

I play in the low 90s and now and then get a score in the 80s. I had a 12 handicap as a junior. I may not get enough time to play these days, but I've played the game for almost 2 decades.
    This means I know enough about the game to tell Liam that your advice is a mountain of crap, drizzled with your assurance that you "know how to handle yourself".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree