1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 01:52
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I have never been considered a liberal but are you suggestion no schools for poor people?
    No. What I am suggesting is they stop funding failing schools and move these kids to schools that are not failing. That means the rich and poor kids will be learning along side each other as well as schools competing to stay open.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 01:54
    Originally posted by bill718
    No...actually bill718 was only suprised at someone using the idea of inner city kids as an excuse to stray from the main point of this post. High School and College should be about education...not about using sports as a money machine. There are those however who like to stray from the point of the post. 😏
    And rich public schools and rich universities should not be about education as well, but they are. The only problem I have is all you harp about are sports when the elite are keeping the poor kids out of academia. So I bring up a method by which they may make it in life which are sports and you get all worked up in a tizzy.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 16:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    And rich public schools and rich universities should not be about education as well, but they are. The only problem I have is all you harp about are sports when the elite are keeping the poor kids out of academia. So I bring up a method by which they may make it in life which are sports and you get all worked up in a tizzy.
    H.S. and College should be in the business of education. Not sports. It's is through education that countries remain competitive in trade, medicine, governing and many other fields. Sports should be a seperate entity from schools.😏
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 16:21
    Originally posted by bill718
    H.S. and College should be in the business of education. Not sports. It's is through education that countries remain competitive in trade, medicine, governing and many other fields. Sports should be a seperate entity from schools.😏
    But when and where would you suggest they be played? Furthermore, do you propose academic challenges to give the schools spirit? Let's not even go into the revenue generation aspect. I guess they could raise tuition through the roof so that only the very wealthy could afford to go.

Sorry, but your arguement, while valid, does not make practical sense in the long run.
  5. Joined
    20 Nov '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 06:34
    Want the crude rude honest truth? College sports are saving America. People that grow up poor in general have lower grades. The majority of poverty occurs in the slums. Most slums are inhabited by black people. A persons wealth is usually determined by the degree they have. Black slaves were bred with the intent of making the most physically strong slave possible. Therefore athletic scholarships give poor black people a chance to get a higher education and therefore not become products of their enviornment (ex: uneducated parents=uneducated children & poor parents=poor children). Athletic scholarships change that. Getting rid of sports would be bad for America, and more specifically black people. I'm not racist, I'm honest. If you have a problem with my logic you can message me or drop a post here.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 15:24
    More social engineering BS is what it looks like. Throw money at this, more money at that. Deprive people of choice via opportunity. Abolish sports spend more on education. We already spend more per capita than any other country yet countries like Finland spend a fraction of what we do and attain 100% literacy! What we need is to get back to nuts and bolts education and cut out all the touchy-feely BS that holds us back and makes us fall behing even third world countries! Eliminating sports only serves the do gooder mindset of the liberals. We once had one of the poorest high schools in America in the DC. It was an all black high school. No other school public or private had so many students go on to attain PhD's! Their budget was no better than any other poor schools'. These same liberals that ruined education then took over and now this is one of the worst schools in the entire USA! Ideas from some posters on this thread that somehow the poor are stupid are very troubling. Poor does not equal stupid nor high crime. Blight comes from indifference, passivity and unmotivated people blaming others for their lack of success. If a poor neighborhood can produce a Thomas Sowell, a Clarence Thomas and others like them then these exceptions need to be built upon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree