1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 17:53
    Well, the Rockets just don't seem to want to go quietly since Yao broke his foot. They have won 5 staright without Yao, 17 straight in all. Granted, they have played only 2 teams out of the 5 with winning records, and one of those two was Dallas without Nowitzski, but just the same, they are becoming a team at the right time. Unfortunately, this will bite them in the playoffs becaise Mutumbo cannot go 40 minutes a game against some of the big men they will have to face in the long series' in the playoffs. But they are sure fun to watch right now. Landry is becoming a force and Scola already is a force. The big question is can Tracy McGrady finally put it together and be the driving force that binds this team, or will he pull another disappearing act when the spotlight hits him in the playoffs?
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 18:17
    Houston may win all their remaining regular season games but I'll still pick against them in the first round. 😉 Have they even passed the first round since the days of the Dream?
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 19:09
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Houston may win all their remaining regular season games but I'll still pick against them in the first round. 😉 Have they even passed the first round since the days of the Dream?
    No they haven't, but then again, they don't have Jeff Van Dumby at the helm anymore either. Last year McGrady spit the bit. Where the Rockets will be hurting in the playoffs is matchups where the opposing team has a dominant big man in the center. I think they can beat Utah. Phoenix is a possibility depending on how well Mutumbo and Landry fare against the aging Shaq. Even Dallas with Dirk is doable but they will be the dogs for sure. They will be hurting against San Antonio and probably LA.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 19:21
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    No they haven't, but then again, they don't have Jeff Van Dumby at the helm anymore either. Last year McGrady spit the bit. Where the Rockets will be hurting in the playoffs is matchups where the opposing team has a dominant big man in the center. I think they can beat Utah. Phoenix is a possibility depending on how well Mutumbo and Landry fare against ...[text shortened]... but they will be the dogs for sure. They will be hurting against San Antonio and probably LA.
    Don't underestimate Utah! And what about the Hornets? Chris Paul has to be one of, if not the best point guard in the league now (Sorry Steve). They are an incredibly entertaining team to watch - it's amazing how no one in New Orleans goes to see the games. 🙁
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 04:37
    Don't underestimate Utah! And what about the Hornets? Chris Paul has to be one of, if not the best point guard in the league now (Sorry Steve). They are an incredibly entertaining team to watch - it's amazing how no one in New Orleans goes to see the games. 🙁
    Well Darv, the victim of the Rockets 18th win in a row were none other than those new orleans Hornets!! The Rockets now move into a tie for the 4th seed in the conference, with the third best record. These guys have game and a lot of heart and McGrady is clicking. I dodn't underestimate Utah, but I think the Rockets match up very well with them, even with Mutumbo in the middle. Mutumbo appears to be reborn. He has fresh legs because he didn't play much prior to Yao going out, so he may not be out of gas by the Playoffs. Landry and Scola are going to make believers out of a lot of people very soon. Rafer Alston may be playing his best hoops in years!! Don't count them out just yet!!!
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 03:44
    Huummmm. Rockets are now the #3 seed in the Western conference, 1 game behind #2 seed San Antonio and 1 1/2 games behind # 1 see Los Angeles. Looks like it will be scrapping to the end.
  7. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 03:46
    Yeah...our Nuggets aren't gonna make it this year unless we go on a Rockies tear!!!

Dave
  8. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 03:48
    I have to agree...Paul is just downright amazing!

I forget what # pick he was but I am sure some teams are feeling bad by passing over him.

Dave
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 03:49
    Originally posted by nmdavidb
    Yeah...our Nuggets aren't gonna make it this year unless we go on a Rockies tear!!!

Dave
    With Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson, you had to expect that Denver would have fared better this year than they have. Of course, the western conference is tough as nails.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 13:10
    The Rockets have a good chance of getting to 21 in a row; their next 3 games are against the Nets, Hawks and Bobcats.

But the next week we'll see if they're an elite team; in 7 days they play the Lakers and Celtics at home and then the Hornets, Warriors and Suns on the road! That's pretty brutal.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 13:29
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Rockets have a good chance of getting to 21 in a row; their next 3 games are against the Nets, Hawks and Bobcats.

But the next week we'll see if they're an elite team; in 7 days they play the Lakers and Celtics at home and then the Hornets, Warriors and Suns on the road! That's pretty brutal.
    Oh, I agree it isn't going to be easy. My point is that when Yao went down, they didn't fold the tent and go home. Hopefully Carl Landry's knee problem is only minor and he won't miss more than one more game. He is really coming into his own, as is Luis Scola. I also don't think it is realistic that they will challenge the Lakers all time win streak either, but hey, this current roll is 4th best in the history of the NBA, which ain't too shabby!!
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 14:011 edit
    Oh, I agree it isn't going to be easy. My point is that when Yao went down, they didn't fold the tent and go home. Hopefully Carl Landry's knee problem is only minor and he won't miss more than one more game. He is really coming into his own, as is Luis Scola. I also don't think it is realistic that they will challenge the Lakers all time win streak eit ...[text shortened]... but hey, this current roll is 4th best in the history of the NBA, which ain't too shabby!!
    What is the all time record? I'm feeling lazy this morning.

EDIT: 5 cups of coffee later, I woke up. It is 33 games: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/102745

If the Rockets win their next three (and they'll be favorites in all), they'll move into 2nd place on the all-time list. It would be ironic if they do so and then don't make the playoffs (which is possible in the stacked West).
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 15:00
    What is the all time record? I'm feeling lazy this morning.

EDIT: 5 cups of coffee later, I woke up. It is 33 games: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/102745

If the Rockets win their next three (and they'll be favorites in all), they'll move into 2nd place on the all-time list. It would be ironic if they do so and then don't make the playoffs (which is possible in the stacked West).
    It is possible, but unlikely that they miss the playoffs if they win the next three, especially. The west is much tougher than the east and that is why I believe it will be a team from the west that wins it all. Boston is not the juggernaut many believe them to be. Remember, so far, they have pretty much dodged the injury bug. It didn't help that they picked up Sam Cassel, but if they lose Ray Allen, get the lifeboats ready. Garnett and company are only as good as Ray Allen.
    IMO.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 15:05
    It is possible, but unlikely that they miss the playoffs if they win the next three, especially. The west is much tougher than the east and that is why I believe it will be a team from the west that wins it all. Boston is not the juggernaut many believe them to be. Remember, so far, they have pretty much dodged the injury bug. It didn't help that they p ...[text shortened]... se Ray Allen, get the lifeboats ready. Garnett and company are only as good as Ray Allen.
    IMO.
    KG missed 9 games and they went 7-2. I have no idea why you attribute soooooooooooooooooo much importance to Ray Allen; he's played well but he's pretty much just a shooter. The developmeny of the young players has been a big story; Kendrick Perkins is starting to be a fine center (though foul prone) and Rondo is explosive to the basket. Just because the West is overall stronger doesn't mean that a team from the East can't beat the best team from the West after the latter is done mauling each other. The Celts are 16-3 against the West though they have a tough road trip coming.
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 16:55
    KG missed 9 games and they went 7-2. I have no idea why you attribute soooooooooooooooooo much importance to Ray Allen; he's played well but he's pretty much just a shooter. The developmeny of the young players has been a big story; Kendrick Perkins is starting to be a fine center (though foul prone) and Rondo is explosive to the basket. Just because the ...[text shortened]... g each other. The Celts are 16-3 against the West though they have a tough road trip coming.
    Yes, I know. But the glue is Ray Allen...period. He is the guy they cannot afford to lose. Garnet missing in action shows he is not the main impetus of their club.

Regarding the east versus the west. Boston does have a nice record in single game matchups against the west. Wait until they get brutalized in seven game matchups and come back and talk to me. They won't stand up to the pounding they will take in the middle. As you well know, the playoffs are another matter entirely, which is why the Rockets will be hurting severely without Yao in the playoffs, more so than now. When they are up against the western stonewall defenses for a seven game stretch each round, they will fade like Colt Brennen under the lights.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree