1. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    35789
    13 Dec '08 04:58
    here's a question many people have asked me. Is chess a sport? What do you think?
  2. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Fort Lauderdale
    Joined
    17 Aug '06
    Moves
    119668
    13 Dec '08 05:09
    Originally posted by jman566
    here's a question many people have asked me. Is chess a sport? What do you think?
    www.dictionary.com defines sport as:

    "An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."

    Judging by this, absolutely not.
  3. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    35789
    13 Dec '08 05:13
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    www.dictionary.com defines sport as:

    "An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."

    Judging by this, absolutely not.
    First of all chess does require skill. If there was no skill involved, then we'd would be as good as Weyerstrass. Chess is very competitive and so therefore by your definition chess is a sport
  4. Madison Square Garde
    Joined
    03 Jan '06
    Moves
    186564
    13 Dec '08 05:511 edit
    Originally posted by jman566
    First of all chess does require skill. If there was no skill involved, then we'd would be as good as Weyerstrass. Chess is very competitive and so therefore by your definition chess is a sport
    All well and good. But there is no phyicallity involved. not a sport. If your looking to tell your wife that your going to work out with the guys, only to play chess Hmm....
  5. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    35789
    13 Dec '08 05:58
    Originally posted by YEAH BOY
    All well and good. But there is no phyicallity involved. not a sport. If your looking to tell your wife that your going to work out with the guys, only to play chess Hmm....
    There is phyicallity (don't think that its a word) in chess. Sitting down and playing a game for lets say, an hour will put one through fatigue.
  6. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Fort Lauderdale
    Joined
    17 Aug '06
    Moves
    119668
    13 Dec '08 06:001 edit
    Originally posted by jman566
    There is phyicallity (don't think that its a word) in chess. Sitting down and playing a game for lets say, an hour will put one through fatigue.
    😕
  7. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    35789
    13 Dec '08 06:01
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    😕
    aww ok
  8. SubscriberScotty70
    Super IT/Telco man
    In a Rack and Stack
    Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    173511
    13 Dec '08 07:21
    Originally posted by jman566
    aww ok
    It's funny that this question was asked. Here is a story that will add a little fuel to the discussion.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8933266/Refused-urine-test-ignites-chess-doping-scandal?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10258
    13 Dec '08 08:451 edit
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    www.dictionary.com defines sport as:

    "An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."

    Judging by this, absolutely not.
    have you ever worked up a sweat playing darts, snooker or pool? or are these not sports also?
  10. Joined
    06 Jan '09
    Moves
    250
    07 Jan '09 12:10
    it is a thinksport.
    My chessclub say:it is a sport
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    07 Jan '09 17:131 edit
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    www.dictionary.com defines sport as:

    "An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."

    Judging by this, absolutely not.
    Why are you ignoring the other definitions?

    Chess IS a sport. Just not an athletic sport.

    (from site you are selectively quoting) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

    P-
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    07 Jan '09 17:20
  13. Standard memberO Artem O
    ParTizan
    Philadelphia, USA
    Joined
    05 Jan '07
    Moves
    65969
    07 Jan '09 18:07
    chess IS a sport
  14. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Joined
    28 Feb '05
    Moves
    16686
    07 Jan '09 21:30
    To play at the highest level, you need to be supremely fit to be able to keep up with the demands of your brain. It's usual for top-level players to lose a couple of kg's in the course of a game.
    I'm sure there are some specific training regimens (exercise, dietary etc) for top players, but I recall that Bobby Fisher at his peak was a very good table tennis player and able to give the US champion a game.
    But, no, I don't truly believe it's a sport in the accepted sense of the word.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    09 Jan '09 15:08
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    To play at the highest level, you need to be supremely fit to be able to keep up with the demands of your brain. It's usual for top-level players to lose a couple of kg's in the course of a game.
    I'm sure there are some specific training regimens (exercise, dietary etc) for top players, but I recall that Bobby Fisher at his peak was a very good table te ...[text shortened]... ion a game.
    But, no, I don't truly believe it's a sport in the accepted sense of the word.
    'accepted sense of the word'. Just because some people are ignorant to the true definition of any given word isn't an excuse to be wrong.

    P-
Back to Top