1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 18:23
    First of all, Curtis Painter is a future hall of fam...

Oh; never mind.

You can only beat the guys you're playing against and, despite a season of losing numerous games that they've dominated and had no business losing, the J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets! are in with a win, baby!
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 18:47
    IS FOOTBALL THE GAME IN NY than baseball? in that the fans of each team really doesn't like the other? or did jet fans want the giants to win the Superbowl a couple of seasons ago?
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 19:311 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    First of all, Curtis Painter is a future hall of fam...

Oh; never mind.

You can only beat the guys you're playing against and, despite a season of losing numerous games that they've dominated and had no business losing, the J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets! are in with a win, baby!
    It seemed like the Jets did something this past week to get all of the football gods on their side. Maybe more coaches need to prematurely announce that "we're out of the playoffs"

Looks like next week could be the first of two straight games for the Jets against Ochocinco & Co.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 21:13
    Originally posted by trev33
    IS FOOTBALL THE GAME IN NY than baseball? in that the fans of each team really doesn't like the other? or did jet fans want the giants to win the Superbowl a couple of seasons ago?
    First, baseball is clearly much bigger in NY than football; unlike in most of the country. NY is a baseball town, first and foremost.

Yes, generally, Giants fans don't like the Jets and vice versa. However, I was rooting HARD for the Giants in the Super Bowl a couple of years back; so was every Jets fan I know.

Our dislike for the Giants pales in comparison to our hatred of all things Boston sports; especially those of us who also happen to be Yankee fans.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 21:14
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    It seemed like the Jets did something this past week to get all of the football gods on their side. Maybe more coaches need to prematurely announce that "we're out of the playoffs"

Looks like next week could be the first of two straight games for the Jets against Ochocinco & Co.
    That would be great. Jets at Bengals is at worst, a toss up game, IMHO.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 23:09
    First, baseball is clearly much bigger in NY than football; unlike in most of the country. NY is a baseball town, first and foremost.

Yes, generally, Giants fans don't like the Jets and vice versa. However, I was rooting HARD for the Giants in the Super Bowl a couple of years back; so was every Jets fan I know.

Our dislike for the Giants pales in comparis ...[text shortened]... r hatred of all things Boston sports; especially those of us who also happen to be Yankee fans.
    i knew baseball was more popular in NY so i guess it's not surprising that the hate isn't as strong between the football teams than it is between the mets and yankees. is there a trend that if you're a fan of one of the baseball teams you're a fan of a particular football team? i have no idea were either the jets or giants stadium are in NY.
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 00:005 edits
    Originally posted by trev33
    i knew baseball was more popular in NY so i guess it's not surprising that the hate isn't as strong between the football teams than it is between the mets and yankees. is there a trend that if you're a fan of one of the baseball teams you're a fan of a particular football team? i have no idea were either the jets or giants stadium are in NY.
    In general, the "rule" is that one group of fans like the "ETS" (Mets, Jets, Nets) and another group likes the Yankees, Giants, Knicks, and Rangers.

The Knicks and Rangers play at Madison Square Garden - Yankee Stadium is just across the river from Manhattan, and the Giants used to play there before they moved to Giants Stadium. So these teams share ties with the part of the NYC metro area near Manhattan

the Jets used to play in Shea Stadium (in Queens), so they're connected to the Mets -- and the Nets used to play in Nassau Co, Long Island with the Islanders. So these four teams all have ties with the Long Island side of the NYC metro area.

Fans in north Jersey would naturally favor the Devils and Nets (although I'm sure a lot of these people right now wish the Nets had already moved to Brooklyn.)

On the other hand, both football teams and the Nets moved out of the City in the 1970s or early 80s, so the old geography-based "rules" might not be as important for the younger fans.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 00:08
    That would be great. Jets at Bengals is at worst, a toss up game, IMHO.
    I predict the Jets embarrass the Bungs. Of late, the Bungs have looked abysmal. In addition, they are already in the play offs, so it is the Jets are the only ones with a horse in the race.

You are as good as in the play offs sh76. Enjoy!!
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 18:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    I predict the Jets embarrass the Bungs. Of late, the Bungs have looked abysmal. In addition, they are already in the play offs, so it is the Jets are the only ones with a horse in the race.

I meant Jets at Bengals the following week in round 1 of the playoffs is a toss-up. If the Jets win against Cincy this week and the Pats win as well, the Jets play at Cincy in the Wild card round.

This week, the Jets had BETTER beat the Bengals, who have little to play for, at home. If they don't, well, then we'll know these really are the Jets.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 18:11
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    In general, the "rule" is that one group of fans like the "ETS" (Mets, Jets, Nets) and another group likes the Yankees, Giants, Knicks, and Rangers.

The Knicks and Rangers play at Madison Square Garden - Yankee Stadium is just across the river from Manhattan, and the Giants used to play there before they moved to Giants Stadium. So these teams share ti ...[text shortened]... 80s, so the old geography-based "rules" might not be as important for the younger fans.
    I'm a Yankees-Jets-Rangers fan. I don't really like the NBA; though to the extent I do, I guess I root for the Knicks.

I guess I wish I were a Giants fan; 4 SB appearances and 3 wins against one lousy appearance in the AFC title game??
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 04:241 edit

Once again I show myself to be not only astute, but prophetic.

The Bungs will always be the Bungs. May their owner, Mike Brown, outsource the entire team to India. No doubt the savings would be enormous which is all he is about.
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:46

The Bungs will always be the Bungs. May their owner, Mike Brown, outsource the entire team to India. No doubt the savings would be enormous which is all he is about.
    why are you so upset? It was just an exhibition game for your team. Not that they exhibited a much more than a total inability to catch the ball. But I suspect that next week's game will be a tad more exciting.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:57

I predict the Bengals will win next week; Sanchez will turn the ball over a few times and the Bengals won't be using a third string RB. Probably low scoring; 20-10 or thereabouts.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 15:551 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I predict the Bengals will win next week; Sanchez will turn the ball over a few times and the Bengals won't be using a third string RB. Probably low scoring; 20-10 or thereabouts.
    First the Bengals need to show that they can stop the run. Otherwise, Sanchez won't have the chance to turn the ball over. All he'll be doing all day is turning around and handing the ball off.

Third string RB or no, the Bengals were blown off the line of scrimmage all night on both sides of the ball. Unless they reverse that next week, everything else is irrelevant.
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 16:02
    First the Bengals need to show that they can stop the run. Otherwise, Sanchez won't have the chance to turn the ball over. All he'll be doing all day is turning around and handing the ball off.

Third string RB or no, the Bengals were blown off the line of scrimmage all night on both sides of the ball. Unless they reverse that next week, everything else is irrelevant.
    I tend to agree. Were the Bungles resting any of their starting linemen? They were outmatched in the trenches all night.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree