1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 May '09 22:21
    Originally posted by uzless
    I was thinking more in the Senate races. Had Obama been white, we'll never know if more people would have voted for DEM senators. Not having a majoirity in the Senate hurts obama.
    He does have a majority in the Senate. In fact, the Dems picked up EIGHT Senate seats in 2008. You think they would have done even better if Obama were white???
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    09 May '09 02:02
    Originally posted by sh76
    He does have a majority in the Senate. In fact, the Dems picked up EIGHT Senate seats in 2008. You think they would have done even better if Obama were white???
    simple majority...not a voting majority. Although I hear the recent defection gets them 1 seat away.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 May '09 17:55
    Originally posted by uzless
    simple majority...not a voting majority. Although I hear the recent defection gets them 1 seat away.
    You really could not be more wrong in your analysis. Obama's coattails got the Dems MORE seats than the would have had otherwise. Without Obama's coattails, the Republicans certainly would have won in Minnesota, and likely in Oregon and New Hampshire as well. Even in Georgia, the election on election day with Obama running was much more tilted towards the Dems than the runoff a few weeks later, when Jim Martin got pummeled when he ran without Obama's coattails.

This whole idea that Obama's race hurt him or the Dems in the 2008 election is so unfounded and unsupported, it amazes me when people bring it up.
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    14 May '09 19:59
    Originally posted by sh76
    You really could not be more wrong in your analysis. Obama's coattails got the Dems MORE seats than the would have had otherwise. Without Obama's coattails, the Republicans certainly would have won in Minnesota, and likely in Oregon and New Hampshire as well. Even in Georgia, the election on election day with Obama running was much more tilted towards the Dems ...[text shortened]... in the 2008 election is so unfounded and unsupported, it amazes me when people bring it up.
    I didn't bring it up. In fact, what I said was that it is impossible to know for sure if his skin colour helped him or hurt him. There is no way to absolutely quantify the influence if any on the voters.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree