1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 04:161 edit
    Oh well; Jets gave it all they had in the second half. After laying an egg like that in the first, all you want is a chance to win the game in the 4th quarter, and they did earn that, at least.

As usual, the game came down to a few key plays. The strip-sack of Sanchez at the end of the first half. The Jets' inability to punch it in from the 1 yard line on 3 straight plays and Roethlisberger's 2 huge throws on the final drive to seal the deal. Pitt got out fast and then hung on for dear life.

Congrats to them and good luck in the Super Bowl.

But I'm also proud of the Jets for a good season and 2 great wins on the road in the playoffs against the two best QBs in the last 20 years in the NFL. Sanchez is now tied for the all time lead in road playoff wins for a QB. Chew on that for a moment.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '11 04:54
    Originally posted by sh76
    Oh well; Jets gave it all they had in the second half. After laying an egg like that in the first, all you want is a chance to win the game in the 4th quarter, and they did earn that, at least.

As usual, the game came down to a few key plays. The strip-sack of Sanchez at the end of the first half. The Jets' inability to punch it in from the 1 yard line on 3 ...[text shortened]... z is now tied for the all time lead in road playoff wins for a QB. Chew on that for a moment.
    Hats off indeed. Whale of a game after first looking like a big rout! I could not believe ryan tried to punch it in three times against a stout D! Poor coaching on that series. That 4th down play was ripe for a play action play that Snachez could have run in had a pass not been there!
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 18:34
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Hats off indeed. Whale of a game after first looking like a big rout! I could not believe ryan tried to punch it in three times against a stout D! Poor coaching on that series. That 4th down play was ripe for a play action play that Snachez could have run in had a pass not been there!
    Can't muster a tip o the hat to a loud-mouth like Ryan. Sanchez seems quite professional, but his coach is just another in a long line of windbags.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 23:18
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Can't muster a tip o the hat to a loud-mouth like Ryan. Sanchez seems quite professional, but his coach is just another in a long line of windbags.
    I certainly think he's a half decent coach, but he has huge lapses of reason like what I pointed out. Running three plays into a wall is really dumb. He could have easily called a different and more challenging play! He is a windbag of the worst kind.

I guess you're big PF fan? My teen boy is a huge fan and loves anything PF!
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 01:30
    I certainly think he's a half decent coach, but he has huge lapses of reason like what I pointed out. Running three plays into a wall is really dumb. He could have easily called a different and more challenging play! He is a windbag of the worst kind.

I guess you're big PF fan? My teen boy is a huge fan and loves anything PF!
    Not sure what game you watched, but the Jets threw on both 2nd and 3rd down during the big goal line stand:

-2-PIT 2 (8:39) 23-S.Greene up the middle to PIT 1 for 1 yard (51-J.Farrior, 94-L.Timmons).
    2-1-PIT 1 (7:56) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to 81-D.Keller. Coverage by #25 Clark.
    3-1-PIT 1 (7:53) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to 10-S.Holmes (56-L.Woodley). Batted down near the line of scrimmage.
    4-1-PIT 1 (7:50) 21-L.Tomlinson up the middle to PIT 1 for no gain (99-B.Keisel, 98-C.Hampton).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011012300/2010/POST20/jets@steelers#tab:analyze/recap-channels:cat-post-recap-full-story/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay
  6. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 02:07
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Not sure what game you watched, but the Jets threw on both 2nd and 3rd down during the big goal line stand:

-2-PIT 2 (8:39) 23-S.Greene up the middle to PIT 1 for 1 yard (51-J.Farrior, 94-L.Timmons).
    2-1-PIT 1 (7:56) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to 81-D.Keller. Coverage by #25 Clark.
    3-1-PIT 1 (7:53) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short ri ...[text shortened]... eelers#tab:analyze/recap-channels:cat-post-recap-full-story/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay
    Should have ran Green. Tomlinson's days of vaulting over the line are long gone. If some day Sanchez learns how to throw the ball down field, the Jets will be a much better team.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 02:111 edit

3-1-PIT 1 (7:53) 6-M.Sanchez pass incomplete short ri ...[text shortened]... eelers#tab:analyze/recap-channels:cat-post-recap-full-story/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay
    Whatevs. So they run it on 4th. You think that's good strategy? My mistake. You are absolutely right about the sequence.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 02:13
    Originally posted by YEAH BOY
    Should have ran Green. Tomlinson's days of vaulting over the line are long gone. If some day Sanchez learns how to throw the ball down field, the Jets will be a much better team.
    They used LT in those situations all year; Green had only 2 rushing TDs, Tomlinson 6. But 20-20 hindsight is always 100% accurate.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 02:13
    Originally posted by YEAH BOY
    Sanchez threw a beauty to Santonio Holmes. He does that well, but is still streaky. Second year guy. Just you watch him grow. He's way ahead of the curve compared to other 2nd year QB's.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 02:141 edit
    Whatevs. So they run it on 4th. You think that's good strategy?
    After 2 incompletes, one of which was batted down?

Yes. But you know everything esp. after the plays are run.

EDIT: During the season, they converted 4 out of 5 times running the ball on 4th and 0-2 and 18-23 on 3rd and 0-2. That's about 80%, so yes I think it's a good call for this team. http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/nyj/type/rushing/new-york-jets

Passing plays in the same situations they were 9 of 13 (only 1 4th down) or 69%.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 02:20
    After 2 incompletes, one of which was batted down?

Yes. But you know everything esp. after the plays are run.
    As do you it seems. Whatever the sequence it did not work. Any team failing to score on 1st and goal from inside the ten knows about as much strategy as I do. I concede it may not be much, but then again I don't make the big bucks, do I?
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 02:222 edits
    As do you it seems. Whatever the sequence it did not work. Any team failing to score on 1st and goal from inside the ten knows about as much strategy as I do. I concede it may not be much, but then again I don't make the big bucks, do I?
    Second guessers are always right. You complained that they ran it three times, but they didn't. Now you're complaining that they didn't pass it three times even though they've had better success converting all year in short yardage situations by running rather than passing. Whatever; sometimes the defense deserves a little credit too.

EDIT: Sanchez was particulary poor inside his opponents 10 yard line during the year completing only 8 of 27. http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

No doubt someone else will start posting what an idiot Ryan was not to run 4 times in a row.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 02:472 edits
    I would have liked to have seen at least one roll out. They completely burned the Pitt defense on a naked bootleg on a 4th and short during the season. Maybe they'd be ready this time, but when the QB rolls out and has a receiver in the flat so he can run or pass, those seem to work well in goal line situations.

Also, they killed so much of the play clock on second down because Sanchez' headset wasn't working that they had to rush to get the play off and couldn't sell the run before the snap. That was a little bad luck as well.

But in all, I can't blame the coaching for not scoring there. The plays were perfectly capable of scoring; the players just didn't execute it. The Steelers' defense did and that's essentially where they won the game (though they had to make more plays later in the game as well).

In any case, to say the Jets lost the game on one play or another in the second half really misses the point. They lost the game by not showing up in the first half. how often are you going to come back from 24-0? The Bills did it to the Oilers, but I can't remember it happening aside from that in my lifetime in the playoffs. (I do remember the Dolphins coming back against the Charger and Dan Fouts from 24-0 to tie it, but the Chargers won in OT).

That they couldn't make EVERY play in the second half is expected. they made most of the plays, but that wasn't enough. That's why you try not to get run out of the building in the first half... so you don't HAVE TO make every play in the second.
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 04:031 edit
    Second guessers are always right. You complained that they ran it three times, but they didn't. Now you're complaining that they didn't pass it three times even though they've had better success converting all year in short yardage situations by running rather than passing. Whatever; sometimes the defense deserves a little credit too.

EDIT: Sanchez wa ...[text shortened]... No doubt someone else will start posting what an idiot Ryan was not to run 4 times in a row.
    Reality is it is only possible to second guess what didn't work. You could argue all sorts of stats. If he made a call and it did not work it goes into the negative column. I may be wrong about the sequence, but not about the outcome. The read at the line should have indicated to coaches that Steelers were expecting run. When you see a stacked line and your play is a run wouldn't a time out to reconsider whether you made the right call? If that play was effective 99% of the time and this one time it did not work it is a blunder, plain and simple. And you're absolutely right. Had it been a pass and it did not work that would have been a bad call. Play action might have covered both possibilities. If no one's open, run and viceversa. Indeed the defense deserves all the credit. Defense made the right read and the offense did not. That is true for all four plays. You cannot possibly argue all four calls were good?
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 04:13
    Originally posted by sh76
    I would have liked to have seen at least one roll out. They completely burned the Pitt defense on a naked bootleg on a 4th and short during the season. Maybe they'd be ready this time, but when the QB rolls out and has a receiver in the flat so he can run or pass, those seem to work well in goal line situations.

Also, they killed so much of the play clock on ...[text shortened]... e building in the first half... so you don't HAVE TO make every play in the second.
    Undoubtedly the game was not lost on the goal line stand, but in the first half, yet they had the momentum. Thay may not have lost because of the goal line stand, but they were going against a team on its heels and incapable of stopping them to that point. They held Steelers to zero in 2nd half. Such games should be won like Auburn did to Alabama in the Iron Bowl. Same scenario. Down 24-0. Held Bama to zero in remainder of game. One other factor. Why not kick a field goal? G\Take the points. There was still plenty of time and they were stopping the Steeler offense. Zero points. Most momentum lost. IN the end they liekly would have needed an onside kick. Might hae worked better than what they actually did.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree