1. Standard memberRookRAK
    Out of drinks
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    08 Feb '07 16:03
    Did anyone catch the Landon Donovan goal to close out the US vs Mexico "friendly" last night?

It was a freak play that the ball came off the referee right to Donovan. But his cut to split 3 defenders was unbelievable.
  2. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 21:30
    Originally posted by RookRAK
    Did anyone catch the Landon Donovan goal to close out the US vs Mexico "friendly" last night?

It was a freak play that the ball came off the referee right to Donovan. But his cut to split 3 defenders was unbelievable.
    What language is this?

'close out'?
    'freak play'?
    'his cut to split...'?

Stop trying to re-invent football please. It's language has been fine for 140 years, leave it alone.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 21:44
    Originally posted by blade68
    What language is this?

'close out'?
    'freak play'?
    'his cut to split...'?

Stop trying to re-invent football please. It's language has been fine for 140 years, leave it alone.
    You honestly didn't understand what he meant or are you just being petty?
  4. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 22:12
    Originally posted by darvlay
    You honestly didn't understand what he meant or are you just being petty?
    It's not being petty... it's about using the correct terminology for a given sport.

How would you feel about me refering to American Football thus, "the midfielder threw a great pass to the right winger who jumped over the big defenders outstretched arms and put the ball over the line to score a goal for his team..."?
  5. Standard memberRookRAK
    Out of drinks
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    10 Feb '07 01:16
    What language is this?

'close out'?
    'freak play'?
    'his cut to split...'?

ummm ...

'bite me'
  6. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    10 Feb '07 10:38
    Originally posted by RookRAK
    ummm ...

'bite me'
    It'd have been more amusing if your reply had been 'two words, beginning with and ending in F'...

...but then again that's plain English, so 'bite me' was probably the more appropriate response from someone who obviously struggles to be comprehensible!
  7. Standard memberCityblue
    Moonchester
    Blue Moon
    Moves
    10 Feb '07 19:41
    It's not being petty... it's about using the correct terminology for a given sport.

How would you feel about me refering to American Football thus, "the midfielder threw a great pass to the right winger who jumped over the big defenders outstretched arms and put the ball over the line to score a goal for his team..."?
    That was a forward pass to the right winger surely :'(

But for our american cousins.........pass interference on the defence (half the distance to the goal, 1st down) 😀
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    10 Feb '07 20:02
    What language is this?

'close out'?
    'freak play'?
    'his cut to split...'?
    LOL! My thoughts exactly.

D
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Feb '07 22:312 edits

Well, IMO, your comparison is pure exaggeration, and hence kinda garbage. And if you don't understand the word 'garbage' try replacing it with 'rubbish'.

But let's give you the benefit of the doubt, please let us know the correct terminology so we don't upset you any further.

Instead of 'freak play', what is the correct terminology? 'Bizarre'? 'Zany'? WHAT?

Instead of 'close out the game', what is the appropriate phrasing that doesn't offend?

Instead of 'cut', should I use 'surge'? 😕

&c.
    &c.

You're petty. Now admit it.
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    10 Feb '07 22:46
    Instead of 'cut', should I use 'surge'? 😕
    Hard to say. Is a "cut" a pass or a run? Can you explain the ethymology of the word?

D
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 01:22
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Hard to say. Is a "cut" a pass or a run? Can you explain the ethymology of the word?

D
    What do you think, jeanyus?
  12. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 09:21
    Well, IMO, your comparison is pure exaggeration, and hence kinda garbage. And if you don't understand the word 'garbage' try replacing it with 'rubbish'.

But let's give you the benefit of the doubt, please let us know the correct terminology so we don't upset you any further.

Instead of 'freak play', what is the correct terminology? 'Bizarre' ...[text shortened]... cut', should I use 'surge'? 😕

&c.
    &c.

You're petty. Now admit it.
    Who's being petty now?
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 11:24
    How am I supposed to know? It could a brilliant pass which slices open the defence, or it could be an amazing run. It's non specificness tells me nothing.

D
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 11:38
    So, I watched the highlights, and I think it was a run. Although, if it was a run, there were only 2 defenders, not 3. 😕
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=lHn4otnGAeI

Does making up words and acronyms make ye feel superior to your peers because they're not up with the lingo?

How did the second goal "close out" the game? It was in the first minute of the second half? Does "close out" mean the game was finished? With 45 minutes to play?
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=uT3lNglJ8SE
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=I_wb4j2F30M

D
  15. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 13:13
    Would you guys let me use this thread on my new website?

www.dullarguments.co.uk

Thanks in advance,

d

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree