1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 17:46
    Originally posted by Palynka
    What? Helton is better than Almunia.

One of the reasons we lost yesterday was because not only was our manager banned but also because our captain and best player was injured when we were on our best period.

It's disingenuous to believe Man U played badly just because the stars weren't aligned. Sure, Man U wasn't on a good day, but the way we closed th ...[text shortened]... is a coincidence? Or the fact that Rooney was spending so much time closing down the flank?
    i'm going to leave this, you know i think porto are a good team but but quite as good as the best 4 in england.

i wonder if anderson would still have played if fletcher was fit. i prefer anderson but furguson clearly doesn't.

rooney often plays on the wing away in europe, nothing new there.

btw do you think arsenal will beat utd?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 18:071 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    i'm going to leave this, you know i think porto are a good team but but quite as good as the best 4 in england.

i wonder if anderson would still have played if fletcher was fit. i prefer anderson but furguson clearly doesn't.

rooney often plays on the wing away in europe, nothing new there.

I already admitted Arsenal would be slight favourites, sure. What I won't admit is that we would be a walk in the park.

It was not just about playing on the wing, but backtracking even more than usual.

See, this is the type of questions that only make sense for me if this means I think one is more likely to beat the other. Even odds, I would take United, but that doesn't mean I think United is sure to beat Arsenal.

Edit - I didn't know Fletcher was not fit. If that was the only reason why Anderson played, then United were given a blessing in disguise.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 18:09
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Lol. So all that matters to decide to better team is winning the league? If we follow your logic Arsenal is still the better team because they're still in the champions league. Suck it up big boy. You did great against Man U, but unfortunately for us all you lost.
    No, but beating the league or topping the group is a much better metric than a head-to-head when it's not a knock-out.

Arsenal didn't play Porto or United, they played Villarreal.
  4. 6yd box
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 04:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's ridiculous to look at group/league heads up results to decide on who's the better team.

In the group, Porto did better than Arsenal. This is a factual statement and heads up results are meaningless because they were not the objective. In your twisted logic, Fulham have proved to be the better team heads up, with respect to Arsenal.
    the fact is this- the best in europe is no match for the best in England.
    Thats all.

To have done so well and get a 2-2 draw at Old-T (TWO AWAY GOALS for goodness sake!) and still mess it up at home, shows that when it really comes down to the european teams are way behind what England has to offer at the present time.

Thats why i have always beleived that the top european club teams would all struggle in the EPL- i have said it once and i will keep on saying it.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 17:451 edit
    Originally posted by spurs73
    the fact is this- the best in europe is no match for the best in England.
    Thats all.

To have done so well and get a 2-2 draw at Old-T (TWO AWAY GOALS for goodness sake!) and still mess it up at home, shows that when it really comes down to the european teams are way behind what England has to offer at the present time.

Thats why i have always beleived ...[text shortened]... pean club teams would all struggle in the EPL- i have said it once and i will keep on saying it.
    It's a start. At least now you admit Porto is one of the best in Europe. 😀

So would Barcelona also be a mid-table team in the PL?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 May '09 17:041 edit
    Congrats on 2nd place - a good season for you Pool.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree