1. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 06:49
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Te'o proved amply he deserved not a singe one of his awards. He could not stop an elderly citizen running up the middle. Overinflated, overrated, media invention is what Te'o turned out to be. Mark my words. He will never make it in the NFL and any GM who drafts him high will end up losing their job. You talk about stats and being all knowing. Explain t ...[text shortened]... dle LB in this or any draft. FRAUD! Media invention of a LB. The entire ND defense was a joke!
    Te'o was clearly the centerpiece of a celebrated defense, and against an excellent college offense, he couldn't get it done. Now - he'll have help in the NFL, but NFL offenses will also be NFL caliber. I think at the end of the day I agree with your assessment of his prospects.

But there's another thing. Rookie hazing. You do not want to be the guy in an NFL locker room who is both a rookie and a guy who had an online love affair with a gay guy who pretended to be a girl. NFL locker rooms are gladiator academies. He's going to have to break a couple of jaws the first week of training camp just to not get taped to a goalpost.
  2. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 00:41
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Te'o was clearly the centerpiece of a celebrated defense, and against an excellent college offense, he couldn't get it done. Now - he'll have help in the NFL, but NFL offenses will also be NFL caliber. I think at the end of the day I agree with your assessment of his prospects.

But there's another thing. Rookie hazing. You do not want to be the ...[text shortened]... break a couple of jaws the first week of training camp just to not get taped to a goalpost.
    And yet, there are gay NFL players who have been open with their teammates about it.

As with everything, you envision things in your head and spout them as if they are fact.
  3. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 02:31
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    And yet, there are gay NFL players who have been open with their teammates about it.

As with everything, you envision things in your head and spout them as if they are fact.
    Okay. Whatever you say.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Feb '13 19:59
    Manti Te'o's story was foretold in the 1960's in the lyrics by a band called the Zombies.
    Read the lyrics to "She's Not There" and have a chuckle.

Well no one told me about her the way she lied
    Well no one told me about her how many people cried
    But it's too late to say you're sorry
    How would I know why should I care
    Please don't bother tryin' to find her
    She's not there

Well let me tell you 'bout the way she looked
    The way she'd act and the color of her hair
    Her voice was soft and cool
    Her eyes were clear and bright
    But she's not there

Well no one told me about her, what could I do
    Well no one told me about her, though they all knew
    How would I know, why should I care
    She's not there

But she's not there

How would I know, why should I care
    She's not there

But she's not there
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 20:45
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    A compelling read.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax
    T'eo told a lie about a girlfriend he never had. Not a smart thing to do, but certainly not worth all this press coverage and gossip. Hopefully this story will die someday, and T'eo will learn from his mistake, and be allowed to move on with his life. Hopefully....
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 12:31
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Manti Te'o's story was foretold in the 1960's in the lyrics by a band called the Zombies.
    Read the lyrics to "She's Not There" and have a chuckle.

[b]Well no one told me about her the way she lied
    Well no one told me about her how many people cried
    How would I know why should I care
    Please don't bother tryin ...[text shortened]... and cool
    But she's not there
    [/b]
    Most excellent post! You should post a video! Here's more foretelling Manti T'eo haplessness:

February 25 2013 - Posted in: NFL - 6 comments

Yes, 40-yard-dash times probably carry more weight than they should. But things have been slowly tumbling downhill for Manti Te’o since he lost the Heisman to Johnny Manziel. His team got rocked in the National Championship game, and he played terribly. Then his world was blown to bits and he was placed in the spotlight when it came out his girlfriend was never real. Then on Monday he went to run his 40-yard-dash and proved to be slower than people expected. It was hoped by many that he would run a 4.75 to offset his 6’1″ 240 lbs frame, but unfortunately he ran an unofficial time of 4.81 and 4.80. Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh was unimpressed with his 40-yard-dash, and Te’o better pray that his official time is somehow magically lower.

UPDATE: Manti Te’o's official 40-yard-dash time is 4.82. Not good for him.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 12:36
    Originally posted by sasquatch672

But there's another thing. Rookie hazing. You do not want to be the ...[text shortened]... break a couple of jaws the first week of training camp just to not get taped to a goalpost.
    I wish players would never be over-hyped. Unfair to them. Once veneer is peeled back said players suffer badly. His only out is being selected in the third round and then making it big or he will be yet another first round bust. As you can see T'eo's 40 yd dash times were simply awful. That along with his woeful NCG performance should truly open GM's eyes. For now he might be a good back up. Reality is the much vaunted ND defense was all smoke and mirrors and a reflection of playing lesser competition was exposed by Bama. I've seen peewee league LB's give better effort than T'eo.
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 13:09
    I wish players would never be over-hyped. Unfair to them. Once veneer is peeled back said players suffer badly. His only out is being selected in the third round and then making it big or he will be yet another first round bust. As you can see T'eo's 40 yd dash times were simply awful. That along with his woeful NCG performance should truly open GM's ey ...[text shortened]... ompetition was exposed by Bama. I've seen peewee league LB's give better effort than T'eo.
    Give me a break!! Since you seem to know so much about 40 yard dash times at the
    combines, did you know.....

that Te'O's time was .02 FASTER than Terrell Suggs' time at the combine? I think he has
    had a reasonable career, wouldn't you say?

Did you know that Jerry Rice's time in the 40 at the combine was 4.71? I think he had a
    reasonable career, don't you think?

These are guidelines, but they are not deal breakers. Can you think of any burners at
    the combine that were busts in the NFL? Yep there were a few.

Te'O will be fine, and I think he will go in the mid to late first round, in spite of
    your projections to the contrary.
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 13:15
    I wish players would never be over-hyped. Unfair to them. Once veneer is peeled back said players suffer badly. His only out is being selected in the third round and then making it big or he will be yet another first round bust. As you can see T'eo's 40 yd dash times were simply awful. That along with his woeful NCG performance should truly open GM's ey ...[text shortened]... ompetition was exposed by Bama. I've seen peewee league LB's give better effort than T'eo.
    Oh, and speaking of hype....

I am sure you remember Joe Theisman coming out of ND many years ago.
    Did you realize his name is actually pronounced "Theezman"?
    They changed the pronunciation while he was at ND to thyme with Heisman.
    Why in the world did they do that?
    Did he win the Heisman? NO
    Was a a good QB in the NFL? YES

Many are hyped, and some excel and some fail. any are not hyped that succeed and many more fail.

The hype does not kill them...their performance does.
  10. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 19:12
    The ridiculous media scrutiny that goes along with the combine, and to some extent, the draft, in recent years is painful. Why does anyone other than a professional scout care to watch and attempt to analyze a 40 yard dash and other drills? It's just another way the NFL continues to make money even when the season is over.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 22:56
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    The ridiculous media scrutiny that goes along with the combine, and to some extent, the draft, in recent years is painful. Why does anyone other than a professional scout care to watch and attempt to analyze a 40 yard dash and other drills? It's just another way the NFL continues to make money even when the season is over.
    I always laugh about the 40 yard dash. I guarantee you there is another gear when you
    have some bruising hulk chasing your butt ready to maul you. Likewise, when they are
    looking to maul, there is another gear. This is all for show (and a bit more or less dough).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree