might fall under inappropriate

might fall under inappropriate

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guitarist

@William Penn's gaze

Moves
18 Nov 10

An Arizona sports writer is quoted as saying, "Michael Vick played so good on Monday night that even dogs were cheering for him."

I don't like the fact that he did all those things to those dogs, but he paid his time and lost his fortune. Now, he's the best thing on my favorite sports team, The Phia.. Eagles, he's acted fairly well, at least, when Vicks in Philly.

We're suppose to forgive and move on, he's made it rather easy.

q

Moves
19 Nov 10

Originally posted by gregsflat
An Arizona sports writer is quoted as saying, "Michael Vick played so good on Monday night that even dogs were cheering for him."

I don't like the fact that he did all those things to those dogs, but he paid his time and lost his fortune. Now, he's the best thing on my favorite sports team, The Phia.. Eagles, he's acted fairly well, at least, when Vicks in Philly.

I am not a Philadelphia fan or Virginia Tech but as a neutral observer I think the outrage toward Vick is just ridiculous. He served a record amount of time for dog fighting. Guys like Leonard Little and Ray Lewis actually kill humans and serve little or no time and people talk about Vick like he committed the crime of the century.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Nov 10

Originally posted by quackquack
I am not a Philadelphia fan or Virginia Tech but as a neutral observer I think the outrage toward Vick is just ridiculous. He served a record amount of time for dog fighting. Guys like Leonard Little and Ray Lewis actually kill humans and serve little or no time and people talk about Vick like he committed the crime of the century.
Ray Lewis killed humans? When did that happen? And unlike Vick, he doesn't have a felony conviction on his record.

A wiseass remark by a sportswriter directed at a football player? What a disgrace!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Nov 10

QQ: He served a record amount of time for dog fighting.

Tell that to David Tant:

Another major conviction came in November 2004 in Charleston County, S.C., when David Tant received a 40-year sentence after at least 40 pit bulls were seized on his property.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/falcons/2007-07-18-vick-cover_N.htm

Guitarist

@William Penn's gaze

Moves
19 Nov 10

Actually, Vick's felony conviction was for gambling and betting and running the dog fights themselves. The animal cruelty either wasn't pushed because of lower penalty, or was somehow plea bargained before trial.

d

Moves
19 Nov 10
1 edit

Originally posted by gregsflat

It wouldn't be the first time a dog reference has been used this year when referring to Vick, gracious or... ahem... not:

Philadelphia Daily News:
http://dogblog.dogster.com/uploads/2010/09/ept_sports_nfl_experts-695946753-1285162747.jpg

Trenton Local News:
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2010/09/vicktrentonian.jpg

PS - Scacchi and I are having a similar discussino in the Broncos thread.

q

Moves
19 Nov 10
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
Ray Lewis killed humans? When did that happen? And unlike Vick, he doesn't have a felony conviction on his record.

A wiseass remark by a sportswriter directed at a football player? What a disgrace!
Ray Lewis was involved in street fight where two people ended up dead. I am far more bothered by this sort of behavior than Michael Vick, yet Ray Lewis is on the cover of magazines and kids games.

40 years for dog fighting is a joke and it violates the basis concept of proportionalty.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
19 Nov 10

Ray Lewis was involved in street fight where two people ended up dead. I am far more bothered by this sort of behavior than Michael Vick, yet Ray Lewis is on the cover of magazines and kids games.

40 years for dog fighting is a joke and it violates the basis concept of proportionalty.
"Being involved" is pretty vague. There's no evidence that he "killed humans" as you originally claimed though.

I agree 40 years for dog fighting is over the line, but Vick hardly got the harshest sentence ever meted out for it. In fact, his state sentence of three years in prison was suspended. He would have gotten a lesser federal sentence, but he refused to admit his full participation at the plea allocution as well as various types of misbehavior while waiting to be sentenced. Anyway, it's correct he did his time, but that hardly means sportswriters and opposing fans can't ridicule him; I can only imagine how Philly fans would react if Vick came to Lincoln Field in another uniform.

q

Moves
20 Nov 10

Originally posted by no1marauder
"Being involved" is pretty vague. There's no evidence that he "killed humans" as you originally claimed though.

I agree 40 years for dog fighting is over the line, but Vick hardly got the harshest sentence ever meted out for it. In fact, his state sentence of three years in prison was suspended. He would have gotten a lesser federal sente ...[text shortened]... nly imagine how Philly fans would react if Vick came to Lincoln Field in another uniform.
Ray Lewis may not killed someone but if people are making moral judgments about football players he should be not be on the cover of games for children. As for the amount of outrage directed toward Vick, it is simply crazy. Leonard Little and Dante Stalworth and Rae Carruth actually killed people. There should be ten thousand times the amounts of complaints as there is about Vick and the fact that there isn't is just a joke. People hunt inhumanely, people boil lobsters while they are still alive and then eat them. Dog fighting is stupid but It ain't the crime of the cetury

Off point, but did you see your man Colt Brennan got in a serious car accident? There are so many QB injuries if he were healthy he might have a chance to prove his abilities.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Nov 10

Ray Lewis may not killed someone but if people are making moral judgments about football players he should be not be on the cover of games for children. As for the amount of outrage directed toward Vick, it is simply crazy. Leonard Little and Dante Stalworth and Rae Carruth actually killed people. There should be ten thousand times the amounts of comp ...[text shortened]... here are so many QB injuries if he were healthy he might have a chance to prove his abilities.
Ironically, I mentioned to my nephew (who is a Dolphin fan) earlier today that Miami should think about giving Colt a tryout. Brennan's been utterly starcrossed since graduating; I hope he's all right - last I heard he was in serious condition.

s

6yd box

Moves
20 Nov 10

goodness sakes you yanks still on the Vick/dog fighting sheet. Come on guys move on.

You got NFL players convicted of Murder, Rape, drug dealing..and all u guys ever take about is dog fighting by Vick.
😴😴😴

s

Moves
20 Nov 10

Originally posted by spurs73
goodness sakes you yanks still on the Vick/dog fighting sheet. Come on guys move on.

You got NFL players convicted of Murder, Rape, drug dealing..and all u guys ever take about is dog fighting by Vick.
😴😴😴
One thug at a time! WE care about all of them. NFL needs to clean up. Vick is the only felon being mentioned as possible MVP, not the others. How we got to this sorry state of affairs indicates the culture has eroded farther down than first thought. Vick is a thug from a family of thugs. Not even particularly contrite. WE'd move on of the NFL grew cojones and stuck to it's behavior standards. Look at Pete Rose in MLB. Has never been reinstated to a degree he could manage again or be inducted into Hall of Fame. Rose did not torture innocent, sentient beings commonly thought of as man's best friend. Sociopaths like him should not be playing.

q

Moves
20 Nov 10

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
One thug at a time! WE care about all of them. NFL needs to clean up. Vick is the only felon being mentioned as possible MVP, not the others. How we got to this sorry state of affairs indicates the culture has eroded farther down than first thought. Vick is a thug from a family of thugs. Not even particularly contrite. WE'd move on of the NFL grew cojon ...[text shortened]... t beings commonly thought of as man's best friend. Sociopaths like him should not be playing.
If you believe in one person at a time start with people who kill people, not someone who dog fights.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Nov 10

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
One thug at a time! WE care about all of them. NFL needs to clean up. Vick is the only felon being mentioned as possible MVP, not the others. How we got to this sorry state of affairs indicates the culture has eroded farther down than first thought. Vick is a thug from a family of thugs. Not even particularly contrite. WE'd move on of the NFL grew cojon ...[text shortened]... t beings commonly thought of as man's best friend. Sociopaths like him should not be playing.
He did the amount of jail time deemed appropriate for his crimes; I see no reason to deprive him or others like him of his chance to earn a living because of his criminal past.

s

Moves
20 Nov 10

If you believe in one person at a time start with people who kill people, not someone who dog fights.
Again, this thug is being mentioned as MVP apparent. If it's all about winning then so be it. However, I firmly believe an MVP should be held up to higher standards. If I were commissioner I'd get rid of the Ray Lewises, Leonard Littles and others. No one should get a pass simply because the dead creature is not human if organized crime was involved. You know full well the potential for organized crime then taking a foothold is great with thugs like Vick playing. I do not believe Vick is contrite at all. Again, I want the whole sorry lot gone. NFL is a privilege, not a right.