might fall under inappropriate

might fall under inappropriate

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
20 Nov 10
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
He did the amount of jail time deemed appropriate for his crimes; I see no reason to deprive him or others like him of his chance to earn a living because of his criminal past.
Who's saying he cannot earn a living? Let him go dig ditches or clean dog poop at the local shelter. If Philly embraces Vick that's their problem. Vick did the appropriate amount of time for what he pleaded guilty to, not for the crime he committed! He pleaded guilty to racketeering, not animal cruelty! How contrite is that? He did not even accept responsibility!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2010/11/michael-vick-plaschke-dogs.html

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Nov 10

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Who's saying he cannot earn a living? Let him go dig ditches or clean dog poop at the local shelter. If Philly embraces Vick that's their problem. Vick did the appropriate amount of time for what he pleaded guilty to, not for the crime he committed! He pleaded guilty to racketeering, not animal cruelty! How contrite is that? He did not even accept respo ...[text shortened]... sibility!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2010/11/michael-vick-plaschke-dogs.html
There's no provision in the law that says a man with a criminal past can only do work that you approve of. Plaschke is a self-righteous jerk.

s

Moves
20 Nov 10

There's no provision in the law that says a man with a criminal past can only do work that you approve of. Plaschke is a self-righteous jerk.
Perhaps, but he raises some real questions. It isn't only work one approves of, but work than happens to play a "role model" position for youth. I don't for a minute believe Vick is contrite at all. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I am hopeful he's for real, but don't hold my breath. My expectations are not high for people like Vick.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Nov 10

Perhaps, but he raises some real questions. It isn't only work one approves of, but work than happens to play a "role model" position for youth. I don't for a minute believe Vick is contrite at all. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I am hopeful he's for real, but don't hold my breath. My expectations are not high for people like Vick.
I don't care if he's "contrite" or not. I watch the games and don't care about the players' personal lives. If they break the law they should be treated like everybody else, but there shouldn't be extra punishment just because some people are naive enough to idolize people who can throw or catch a ball much better than most others.

s

Moves
21 Nov 10

I don't care if he's "contrite" or not. I watch the games and don't care about the players' personal lives. If they break the law they should be treated like everybody else, but there shouldn't be extra punishment just because some people are naive enough to idolize people who can throw or catch a ball much better than most others.
What extra punishment? You think it's OK to torture animals, pull their teeth, electrocute, drown, maim and on and on? This was no crime of passion. It was organized crime. Vick paid for racketeering, but never for dog fighting and animals cruelty. Just because the justice system screwed up does not mean tne John Q Public and NFL should just look the other way. This far from a "personal life" issue. The man is a sociopath. Sociopaths do not change for they are devoid of feelings for the suffering of others and actually enjoy it. This is a far different man than the others who get bandied about and whose crimes were more like crimes of passion. This is Mengele wannabe who happens to be able to run and throw a ball.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Nov 10

What extra punishment? You think it's OK to torture animals, pull their teeth, electrocute, drown, maim and on and on? This was no crime of passion. It was organized crime. Vick paid for racketeering, but never for dog fighting and animals cruelty. Just because the justice system screwed up does not mean tne John Q Public and NFL should just look the ot ...[text shortened]... ke crimes of passion. This is Mengele wannabe who happens to be able to run and throw a ball.
Go screw; what penalties Vick should suffer for illegal acts is up to the criminal justice system, not you, Plaschke or the NFL. Your hysterical hand-wringing is ridiculous; just go watch a game and shut up.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
22 Nov 10

Go screw; what penalties Vick should suffer for illegal acts is up to the criminal justice system, not you, Plaschke or the NFL. Your hysterical hand-wringing is ridiculous; just go watch a game and shut up.
It is up to the NFL. They suspend players for actions that are not illegal or more severely than the law does all the time.

However, I agree 100% that Vick served his time and need not be punished any further by the NFL. In any case, I'm perfectly content to accept*, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, that Vick is sorry for his actions and is entitled to a second chance.

* (not that it matters what I accept... just saying)

s

Moves
24 Nov 10

He is lucky it is not up to me. I, unlike you, do not have a soft spot in my heart for unrepentant torturers of animals. I do not condone heinous acts just because someone says they're sorry and a gutless league reinstates them then forgets because they happen to peform well on the field. I firmly believe the man will fall and fall so hard it will pave the way for the NFL to grow cojones once and for all. What you call hysterical handwringing is more the musings of a man who fears for the sorry state of our culture. In another era this sorry(i refuse to call him human) piece of garbage would have been permanently kicked out of the league! How can anyone believe someone who even failed to plead guilty to his crime is sorry. You are naive and deluded as is sh76!

q

Moves
24 Nov 10

He is lucky it is not up to me. I, unlike you, do not have a soft spot in my heart for unrepentant torturers of animals. I do not condone heinous acts just because someone says they're sorry and a gutless league reinstates them then forgets because they happen to peform well on the field. I firmly believe the man will fall and fall so hard it will pave ...[text shortened]... ne who even failed to plead guilty to his crime is sorry. You are naive and deluded as is sh76!
Your position is ridiculous:
(1) In former times people cared less about animal rights.
(2) In former times sports leagues cared less about off the field behavior
(3) Vick went to trial because they were going to hammer him if he took a plea just as they hammered him after trial. He simply had little to lose. It has nothing to do with being sorry.
(4) Vick seems to have done a good job turning his life around. I have no idea why you should wish him harm based on anything he is doing now. I also have no idea why you believe he isn't sorry (he indicates in a somewhat convincing way he is) or why you would care whether someone is or isn't sorry for something they did in the past.
(5) Although some might disagree, injuring dogs just isn't a big deal compared to other NFL players crimes like getting drunk and killing humans.

s

Moves
24 Nov 10

Originally posted by quackquack
Your position is ridiculous:
(1) In former times people cared less about animal rights.
(2) In former times sports leagues cared less about off the field behavior
(3) Vick went to trial because they were going to hammer him if he took a plea just as they hammered him after trial. He simply had little to lose. It has nothing to do with being sorry. ...[text shortened]... isn't a big deal compared to other NFL players crimes like getting drunk and killing humans.
Here's where the difference lies between getting drunk and killing humans and torturing animals. Whereas the drunk driver commits a heinous act it is not volitional nor premeditated and does not involve torture. While both acts are bad, one is borne from addiction and is less volitional whereas Vick's is the act of a sick sociopath who derived pleasure from his horrific actions. Most drunk drivers do not fit the makings of a proto-serial killer. Vick does. Vick would have made a fine guard at Auschwitz! It is not a huge leap for a torturer of animals to move on to humans. In former times people may have cared less about animal rights, but they cared more about standards of decency and righteous human behavior. Anybody with Vick's resume who could not play half as well would have been booted from the league a long time ago. The gun dude from the NYG's, Plaxico Burress, was treated way more harshly than Vick and he only injured himself not other sentient beings!