Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

1. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    11 Sep '12 02:11
    It had been 76 years since a Brit had won a Grand Slam tournament.
  2. Standard member Elamef37
    Queenslander
    11 Sep '12 03:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    it'd be really nice for a Win at Wimbledon for him, but well done on the win for him
  3. 11 Sep '12 03:53
    Excellent and well deserved win! I knew he was knocking at the door. Hope he maintains consistency and wins Wimbledon!
  4. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    11 Sep '12 07:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    Sorry for being pedantic, but it's 76 years since a male singles champion. But good on him, i must confess i didn't think he was going to ever do it. I didn't he think he had it between the ears to win a Grand Slam, especially with the quality that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic consistently play at. Nice to be proven wrong.
  5. Subscriber roma45
    st johnstone
    11 Sep '12 08:08
    british? or scottish? who cares, well done andy, first of many? to be honest i thought he had blown it when it went to 2 sets each, nearly 5 hours i was exhausted just watching it.
  6. 11 Sep '12 11:10
    Originally posted by roma45
    british? or scottish? who cares, well done andy, first of many? to be honest i thought he had blown it when it went to 2 sets each, nearly 5 hours i was exhausted just watching it.
    I suspect it is first of many! I fast forwarded through each early set since I taped it. Murray showed the resiliency of a real champ. Lesser players would have folded under the onslaught!
  7. 11 Sep '12 15:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Tut, tut, FMF.

Even allowing for the fact that you meant 'singles' champion, do you not remember the glorious summer of '77?

I think tennis fans should enjoy this golden era while they can. 3 greats competing for grand slams, and another knocking on the door, and some matches of simply breathtaking quality at times. And matched with sportsmanship as well, as with Djokovic's acceptance of defeat with impeccable good grace.
  8. 12 Sep '12 00:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    In 1977 Virginia Wade ('Our Ginny' won the ladies' singles at Wimbledon,
    for her third win of a tennis 'grand slam' singles title. With Margaret Court as
    her partner, she also won four tennis 'grand slam' titles in women's doubles.
  9. 12 Sep '12 01:38
    Originally posted by Rank outsider to FMF
    I think tennis fans should enjoy this golden era while they can. 3 greats competing for grand slams, and another knocking on the door, and some matches of simply breathtaking quality at times. And matched with sportsmanship as well, as with Djokovic's acceptance of defeat with impeccable good grace.
    Unfortunately, that kind of sportsmanship does not include everyone in women's
    tennis. I mean that Serena Williams has shown extremely poor sportsmanship.
  10. 12 Sep '12 02:39
    Great job Andy! I am sure your country is extrmely proud tonight!
  11. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    12 Sep '12 10:33
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Sorry for being pedantic, but it's 76 years since a male singles champion.
    Right you are.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    12 Sep '12 10:34
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    In 1977 Virginia Wade ('Our Ginny' won the ladies' singles at Wimbledon,
    for her third win of a tennis 'grand slam' singles title. With Margaret Court as
    her partner, she also won four tennis 'grand slam' titles in women's doubles.
    Yes, indeed. I meant Murray was the first Brit to win the Men's Singles.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    12 Sep '12 10:39
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Even allowing for the fact that you meant 'singles' champion, do you not remember the glorious summer of '77?
    Indeed, since the glorious summer of '77 I have been predicting that Murray would be the first woman to win the Mixed Doubles on her own and in a kilt.
  14. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    12 Sep '12 12:01
    Let's not forget tv presenter Sue Barker won the French Open in '76.
  15. 12 Sep '12 12:30
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Let's not forget tv presenter Sue Barker won the French Open in '76.
    Those of us of a certain age could not possibly forget Sue Barker in the 70s. Don't recall her playing tennis, mind, but I am happy to accept your word for this.

I wonder if Andy Murray will inspire the same fond memories?