1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 19:131 edit
    Also, Colston has been hurt the past few weeks and had been lucky enough to have Brees for a QB. His return to his previous form (before he got hurt) is unlikely. Besides Young, I would give the award to Maurice Jones-Drew of Jacksonville.

666 Rushing yards, 6.1 YPC, 9 Rushing TDs
    30 Catches, 332 Receiving yards, 2 Receiving TDs
    He also has a 93 yard kickoff return TD under his belt. (689 return yards total)

And he's scored another TD today.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 20:241 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Also, Colston has been hurt the past few weeks and had been lucky enough to have Brees for a QB. His return to his previous form (before he got hurt) is unlikely. Besides Young, I would give the award to Maurice Jones-Drew of Jacksonville.

666 Rushing yards, 6.1 YPC, 9 Rushing TDs
    30 Catches, 332 Receiving yards, 2 Receiving TDs
    He also has a 93 ya ...[text shortened]... kickoff return TD under his belt. (689 return yards total)

And he's scored another TD today.
    Since Brees was a nonentity before he arrived in New Orleans, it seems more likely that he's lucky that he has a better receiving corps here (as well as a very good coach who was an ex-Quarterback coach: Sean Payton). Colston had 5 catches last week against the Cowboys, so his injury problem seems over. I think he'll easily approach the numbers mentioned.

That being said, Jones-Drew certainly deserves consideration.

EDIT: Perhaps that assessment of Brees is a little harsh; he had a very good 2004 and a solid 2005 in San Diego.
  3. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 01:21
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's Rookie of the Year, not MVP. Since 1967, only 2 QB's have won the AP Rookie of the Year - Offense, while 6 Wide Receivers have. Of course, 30 of the 39 have been running backs but I don't think 3.2 per carry is gonna do it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Rookie_of_the_Year_Award
    The rookie of the year stats are largely skewed because many top QBs don't play much their first year or two.
  4. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 05:04
    The last time Travis Henry had over a 100 carries (2003), he rushed for 1356 yards; the year before he had 1400+. He's actually putting up exceptional numbers this year; 917 yards and 4.4 per carry.Back up HB??

I'm sorry, but to me a 65.7 passer rating doesn't make you Rookie of the Year. It's an individual acheivement award and the stats matter.
    No, I think it is based more on who makes the better impact on his team and who is more valuable to his team! Vince Young is more valuable to his team than any other rookie out there! The Saints have Deuce McCallister to take care of the run game without Reggie Bush, the Bears don't need Hester there defense is great and Rex Grossman is ok! Vince Young is vital to the Titans, it has been proven since they lost thier first games with Kerry Collins! Vince Young knows how to win games and that's what counts, not stats!
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 05:55
    Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
    No, I think it is based more on who makes the better impact on his team and who is more valuable to his team! Vince Young is more valuable to his team than any other rookie out there! The Saints have Deuce McCallister to take care of the run game without Reggie Bush, the Bears don't need Hester there defense is great and Rex Grossman is ok! Vince Y ...[text shortened]... ames with Kerry Collins! Vince Young knows how to win games and that's what counts, not stats!
    You don't know the difference between MVP and Rookie of the Year. That's your problem.
  6. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 08:551 edit
    Football is a team sport, one man can't do it all. This isn't a popularity contest it's a stats contest. Why is everyone forgetting about Matt Leinart? He is rated as the # 21 Quarterback in the league on a .286 team and Vince Young is only rated as #28 in the League on a .500 team. Out of thirty teams Vince Young is way below Leinart. Nuff said.

Reggie Bush isn't even on the top thirty list, and while I think he is starting to get it, he isn't quite there yet.

I am not sure if it is Drew Breeze making Marques Colston look good or the other way around or some of each but this kid is #14 in the NFL out of all Receivers, and his stats, in every category is was up there including my favorite touchdowns. Marques Colston is my pick. Next year after some coaching everything could be different from this draft.

Rec Yds Avg TDs Long

14. Marques Colston 66 1001 15.2 7 86
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 14:25
    Wait a minute! Are you saying you would give the award to Matt Leinart before you'd give it to Vince Young? That's just downright silly.

I think this weekend's games will be a big indication of who will get the award. If Colston can have one of his 10 catch, 130 yard games I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him the award. If Tennesee wins on the road in Buffalo to make Vince 8-2, I think he'll get the award. And Fred Taylor's status for this week is uncertain which means that Jones-Drew may get his first "start". If he puts in a 100 yd, 2 TD day, look for him to get the award.

Now if all three of these guys bust out and have amazing days, I think they should give the award to all three of them.
  8. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    21 Dec '06 01:14
    Wait a minute! Are you saying you would give the award to Matt Leinart before you'd give it to Vince Young? That's just downright silly.

I think this weekend's games will be a big indication of who will get the award. If Colston can have one of his 10 catch, 130 yard games I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him the award. If Tennesee wins on the roa ...[text shortened]... bust out and have amazing days, I think they should give the award to all three of them.
    No, what I am saying is neither Matt Leinart of Vince Young is lighting up the NFL. Who was better in their Rookie year, these high pedigree players or Ben Rothlesberger? I say the sports media has sold you snake oil if you think either one of these guys deserve Rookie of the year and if this is the best of this draft class then it is a poor draft class. In a couple of years things might change but for now with the teams they are playing on they aren't much. But it might just be that they are an improvement over what they had before, which wasn't much.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    26 Dec '06 18:07
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    No, what I am saying is neither Matt Leinart of Vince Young is lighting up the NFL. Who was better in their Rookie year, these high pedigree players or Ben Rothlesberger? I say the sports media has sold you snake oil if you think either one of these guys deserve Rookie of the year and if this is the best of this draft class then it is a poor draft class ...[text shortened]... ut it might just be that they are an improvement over what they had before, which wasn't much.
    After Week 16, I say you still don't know what you're talking about.
  10. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    26 Dec '06 23:10
    Marcus McNeill the Tackle for the Chargers. He's been blowing holes open for LT all season. This guy could really be a great one.
  11. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 03:11
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Marcus McNeill the Tackle for the Chargers. He's been blowing holes open for LT all season. This guy could really be a great one.
    Now you are talking, the real talent is in the uglies. The guys the media and many fans don't recognise. This tackle Marcus McNeill is a monster on the line. He is doing a great job. Guys like that deserve more recognition for what they do in the trenches. And you know what, not only is he blowing holes he is doing pretty good in pass protection IMO. He can pull and he has some fair lateral moves. And the thing is he is still pretty green. If he stays healthy he is going to have a great career. You can bet that he deserves more than a steak dinner when this season is over.
  12. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 05:29
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    Now you are talking, the real talent is in the uglies. The guys the media and many fans don't recognise. This tackle Marcus McNeill is a monster on the line. He is doing a great job. Guys like that deserve more recognition for what they do in the trenches. And you know what, not only is he blowing holes he is doing pretty good in pass protection IMO. He ...[text shortened]... a great career. You can bet that he deserves more than a steak dinner when this season is over.
    playing on the line is tough
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 21:26
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2718595

Vince Young easily wins the Rookie of the Year award (like there was any doubt).

No1marauder, do you have any words for the folks who enjoy watching you eat your hat (as you so enjoy watching others do)?
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 22:593 edits
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2718595

Vince Young easily wins the Rookie of the Year award (like there was any doubt).

No1marauder, do you have any words for the folks who enjoy watching you eat your hat (as you so enjoy watching others do)?
    I have no reason to "eat my hat"; I said he didn't deserve the Rookie of the Year award and he didn't. That a bunch of sportswriters brought the hype doesn't change the facts that his numbers are too middle of the road to be a deserving winner. 51.5% Completion Pct. 12 TDs v. 13 INT's and a 66.7 passer rating for a ROY QB? Ridiculous.
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 00:29
    I have no reason to "eat my hat"; I said he didn't deserve the Rookie of the Year award and he didn't. That a bunch of sportswriters brought the hype doesn't change the facts that his numbers are too middle of the road to be a deserving winner. 51.5% Completion Pct. 12 TDs v. 13 INT's and a 66.7 passer rating for a ROY QB? Ridiculous.
    Yeah, you're right. He's total garbage.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree