1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 22:46
    I'm listening to the boos as the Blue Jays are introduced (it's a little harsh to boo the bullpen catcher, but hey). It brings back a lot of memories.

The Yanks start their last season as far as I'm concerned; they're dead to me after the Stadium that Ruth Built is torn down. But I'm rooting for them to give it one more banner; that would only be fitting.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 01:59
    The Yanks beat Halladay and the Jays, 3-2. Defense was the key; Melky made a couple of nice grabs in center, Giambi speared a line drive that would have knocked in a run while the Jays couldn't complete a DP that allowed the go ahead run. Joba and Mo finished it up.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 04:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Yanks beat Halladay and the Jays, 3-2. Defense was the key; Melky made a couple of nice grabs in center, Giambi speared a line drive that would have knocked in a run while the Jays couldn't complete a DP that allowed the go ahead run. Joba and Mo finished it up.
    If the Yankees sign Chan Ho Park for the bullpen, they would have the potentially lethal combination of Jo Ho Mo. Suits the Yankees too!!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 14:22
    they're dead to me after the Stadium that Ruth Built is torn down.
    you don't think this is a ridiculous view of rooting for the Yanks?
  5. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 16:33
    I'm listening to the boos as the Blue Jays are introduced (it's a little harsh to boo the bullpen catcher, but hey). It brings back a lot of memories.

The Yanks start their last season as far as I'm concerned; they're dead to me after the Stadium that Ruth Built is torn down. But I'm rooting for them to give it one more banner; that would only be fitting.
    The Yankees have been dead to me since I was born.
  6. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 21:00
    Here is the funny thing about the Yanks...3 players they have on their roster make either more or equal to what the entire Florida Marlins make in salary.

A Rod being the highest of course.

Funny thing is, is in the last 10 years the Marlins have won two Championships.

A Rod....0.

Isn't ironic...don't ya think?

Dave

( who aplogizes for the bad Alanis quote )
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 21:43
    Originally posted by nmdavidb
    Here is the funny thing about the Yanks...3 players they have on their roster make either more or equal to what the entire Florida Marlins make in salary.

A Rod....0.

you're right. It isn't ironic.

Coincidental maybe but ironic it isn't.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 22:27
    Originally posted by nmdavidb

A Rod....0.

Dave

( who aplogizes for the bad Alanis quote )
    No, it isn't "ironic".

The Marlin teams that won World Championships were filled with high priced free agents. The Marlin team now isn't. Those Marlin teams were pretty good. This Marlin team stinks.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 22:33
    Originally posted by myteamtrulystinks
    Hardly. Rooting for the Yanks is largely about the tradition behind them. Whenever I went to Yankee Stadium, as I emerged from the runway and looked at the field I always thought "Babe Ruth played here, Mantle played here, DiMaggio played here, etc. etc. etc. etc.".

I won't be able to say that in the new monstrosity. And it is totally unneeded; the Yanks have led the league in attendance for years. The only reason the new stadium is being built is to toss in 60 corporate luxury boxes so that fatcats don't have to linger with the peasants when they deign to watch a game. For that, the seating capacity for us ordinary mortals will be reduced by thousands of seats.

This is such a betrayal of Yankee tradition that I feel it's hardly "ridiculous" to terminate my rooting for an organization that would do it.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 01:00
    Personally I think it is just bizzare even rooting for the Yanks to win period. It is like rooting for the sun to come up in the morning.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 13:05
    When one goes to Yankee Stadium and roots for the team's history, I think you are being far to literal to say Dimaggio and Mantle patrolled center field here. It is not like they actually played on that blade of grass and literally the same dirt. The new stadium will still be the home of the Yankees and their championships.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 13:512 edits
    When one goes to Yankee Stadium and roots for the team's history, I think you are being far to literal to say Dimaggio and Mantle patrolled center field here. It is not like they actually played on that blade of grass and literally the same dirt. The new stadium will still be the home of the Yankees and their championships.
    I suggest you read my entire post. The new stadium is a piece of sh** designed for corporate fat cats to the detriment of loyal Yankee fans. The team I rooted for won't play there.

EDIT: Maybe they should dig up my grandmother and move her to another location other than the one she wanted to be buried in; after all, it's not like she's lying under the same blade of grass and the same dirt!
  13. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 14:01
    I suggest you read my entire post. The new stadium is a piece of sh** designed for corporate fat cats to the detriment of loyal Yankee fans. The team I rooted for won't play there.

EDIT: Maybe they should dig up my grandmother and move her to another location other than the one she wanted to be buried in; after all, it's not like she's lying under the same blade of grass and the same dirt!
    I will be more concerned when Wrigley and Fenway go. I'm a pretty sentimental person, so I understand what you mean. But I'm sure the new stadium will be not be a piece of sh**.
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 14:201 edit
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    I will be more concerned when Wrigley and Fenway go. I'm a pretty sentimental person, so I understand what you mean. But I'm sure the new stadium will be not be a piece of sh**.
    I don't have much love for the Yankees now but their history and legacy are untouchable in the baseball realm. Wrigley and Fenway are beautiful parks but not much in the way of titles (The Red Sox's recent successes aside) has happened there for as long as they've been around. I am very grateful and excited that I will have a chance to see Yankee Stadium this year before it closes. To me, it is the Mecca of baseball - and yes, I hate the Yankees.
  15. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 15:05
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I don't have much love for the Yankees now but their history and legacy are untouchable in the baseball realm. Wrigley and Fenway are beautiful parks but not much in the way of titles (The Red Sox's recent successes aside) has happened there for as long as they've been around. I am very grateful and excited that I will have a chance to see Yankee Stadium this year before it closes. To me, it is the Mecca of baseball - and yes, I hate the Yankees.
    I agree with that, I'm glad I got a chance to see it. And yes, I'm one of those people that say, "wow, Dimaggio and Ruth and Mantle and Maris stood there" and stuff like that. I still like Fenway and Wrigley better though, but maybe thats because of my extreme dislike of the Yankees 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree