1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 03:21
    What happens when a team from a tough conference meets one from a much weaker conference?
  2. Standard memberwhirlpool
    absolute beginner
    inside
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 03:56
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    What happens when a team from a tough conference meets one from a much weaker conference?
    Wisconsin beat Arkansas
    Penn State beat Tennessee

not sure what your point is ...
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 04:18
    Originally posted by whirlpool
    watch the game, then think about the strength of schedule claims of the SEC vs. Big-10.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 16:11
    Wisconsin beat Arkansas
    Both SEC teams had three losses prior to the bowls. Both lost to Florida.

USC beat Arkansas by a huge margin. Arkansas beat Tennessee convincingly. Wisconsin did not play Ohio State (making both schedules weaker). Penn State's losses were to the top Big Ten teams, and represent the most impressive wins for two of the three.

Nearly all of Florida's opponents played bowl games, and they racked up a 7-3 record in their bowls. Michigan was crushed by USC.

The Big Ten is a strong conference with a solid tradition. However, the SEC and Pac-10 are both tougher conferences. It should be beyond doubt at this point that an OSU-Michigan rematch would have left the best teams out of the title game.

OSU gets a final #2 ranking as a courtesy, but they should be no higher than #5.
  5. over there
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 22:51
    Wisconsin beat Arkansas

Thank you. The Big Ten is 2-1 against the SEC this year. Penn State wasn't even ranked, and smashed Tennessee. Wisconsin had almost no offense at all during their game with Arkansas and still won.
  6. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 03:25
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    Thank you. The Big Ten is 2-1 against the SEC this year. Penn State wasn't even ranked, and smashed Tennessee. Wisconsin had almost no offense at all during their game with Arkansas and still won.
    Yeah but OSU is 0-8 versus the SEC. ROTFLMAO!😵
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 03:57
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    Penn St. hardly "smashed" Tennessee; if you had watched the game you would have known that the game was tied in the 4th quarter with the Vols about to take the lead when they fumbled and Penn St. ran it back 88 yards for a touchdown. It was a tough, evenly played game that turned on that one play.
  8. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 04:06
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Penn St. hardly "smashed" Tennessee; if you had watched the game you would have known that the game was tied in the 4th quarter with the Vols about to take the lead when they fumbled and Penn St. ran it back 88 yards for a touchdown. It was a tough, evenly played game that turned on that one play.
    The typical RHP response would be:

"Talk about making excuses. Stop whining and face the fact that your beloved SEC heroes got bitch-slapped by a weak Big 10 team."
  9. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 04:13
    Originally posted by Red Night

"Talk about making excuses. Stop whining and face the fact that your beloved SEC heroes got bitch-slapped by a weak Big 10 team."
    If they had been bitch-slapped I would've said it, like it did about Michigan and OSU. It's not conference biased. An ass-whippin' is an ass-whippin'.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 04:22
    Honestly, I thought that OSU would make adjustments at half-time and come out and outscore Florida in the second half, though I doubted they would make up the 20 point deficit. As we know now, they failed.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 04:322 edits
    Both SEC teams had three losses prior to the bowls. Both lost to Florida.

USC beat Arkansas by a huge margin. Arkansas beat Tennessee convincingly. Wisconsin did not play Ohio State (making both schedules weaker). Penn State's losses were to the top Big Ten teams, and represent the most impressive wins for two of the three.

Nearly all of Florida's oppo ...[text shortened]... itle game.

OSU gets a final #2 ranking as a courtesy, but they should be no higher than #5.
    As much as I hate to admit it, you are correct. After much travail I have come to the conclusion that the Big Ten is simply an inferior conference and here is why.

Imagine if you will, a high school football star being actively recruited and sought after by all the top schools in the country. You have Florida teams, California teams, as well as teams from the mid West trying to sway you to come play for them. Who is the youngster going to want to play for? Will it be sunny Florida or sunny California where the girls are always pretty and where there is a party going on 24/7, or are you going to want to come to a school in Columbus Ohio? I say the Big Ten simply gets the left overs from the schools in Florida and California. If you don't believe me simply look at the number of titles the Big Ten has won over the years. I would say that the title Ohio State won in 2003 was a fluke. They simply were not suppose to win but because of their defense and being severly underestimated, they won. At that even they barely won. I say if Ohio State ever wants to win the Big one ever again, they need to focus on building their defense. The offensive players are simply to hard to come by with the Florida and California teams there ready to swipe them up. All of this occured to me after I watched the Florida coach talk about Troy Smith and the current QB at Florida. He said that the Florida QB was actively recruited as a top pick, however, Troy Smith, on the other hand, was a no name wanna be with some potential. He said all of this before the game was even played and after seeing Troy play in the big game I don't think his assessment is far off. Troy is once again a no name wanna be. His best years of football are long behind him as he will get crushed in the NFL. That is, if any one still wants him now. If he does get drafted, it will not be a top pick. Perhaps he will make a good backup.

To sum up, I do not think that the two best teams in the Big Ten being blown out was a fluke, rather, it was for a reason. I guess we will just have to wait with great anticipation to see if the winner of next years championship will be either another Florida team or USC. I don't know about you, but I can hardly wait. 😴
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 04:45
    Originally posted by Red Night

No excuse at all, jerk. Just a correction; Tennessee was beaten, OSU and Michigan were smashed.

My predictions wound up pretty good, didn't they? The Big Ten went 2-5 in bowl games and two of their top 3 lost. And you said I was always wrong .......

PS We know you're lying about betting on Florida.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 18:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    As much as I hate to admit it, you are correct. After much travail I have come to the conclusion that the Big Ten is simply an inferior conference and here is why.

Imagine if you will, a high school football star being actively recruited and sought after by all the top schools in the country. You have Florida teams, California teams, as well as teams fro ...[text shortened]... ill be either another Florida team or USC. I don't know about you, but I can hardly wait. 😴
    Imagine trying to recruit players to Boise, Idaho.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 18:24
    Imagine trying to recruit players to Boise, Idaho.
    Exactly. And we can see how many national championships they have. I would say this will be the best year they will ever have in the history of their program. I would tell them to enjoy it while they can. After all, its not the natural order of things in college football. There are only a select few teams who should do well year after year after year after year, after year.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 18:50
    Originally posted by whodey
    Exactly. And we can see how many national championships they have. I would say this will be the best year they will ever have in the history of their program. I would tell them to enjoy it while they can. After all, its not the natural order of things in college football. There are only a select few teams who should do well year after year after year after year, after year.
    Well, they can hardly have a better year then one where they were undefeated. However since 2002, Boise State's record is 58-7, with 3 one loss seasons. http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=1012

You (and everybody else) just hasn't been paying attention.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree