1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 18:00
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    So, bbar, what's your perception of the essence of the Mariners' cluster of problems?

What makes them stink to high heaven yesterday, today and for the future's sake?
    The Mariners have the 9th highest payroll in MLB. It is not money. They stink because they simply can't hit.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 18:56
    Originally posted by quackquack

The Mariners have the 9th highest payroll in MLB. It is not money. They stink because they simply can't hit.
    Why?
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 19:29
    Why?
    Because when you can't hit, you don't end up scoring a lot of runs or winning a lot of games, thus you end up stinking.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 20:38
    Originally posted by darvlay

Because when you can't hit, you don't end up scoring a lot of runs or winning a lot of games, thus you end up stinking.
    Question is 'Why can't they hit'.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 23:002 edits
    The answer you seek is below oh sage prognosticator from the east!!
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    20 Sep '10 23:00
    Question is 'Why can't they hit'.
    Because the bats of the hitters fail to make proper contact with the pitches thrown by the opposing pitcher.

It really is a pretty simple concept. 😉😛😀
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Sep '10 18:15
    Originally posted by shortcircuit

Because the bats of the hitters fail to make proper contact with the pitches thrown by the opposing pitcher.

It really is a pretty simple concept. 😉😛😀
    Hmm... and I had guessed maybe the wrong brand of chewin tabaccy.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 15:40
    My predictions at the start of the season are unrecorded, so I can't share how wrong I was. Suffice to say, the only team that MIGHT make it to the post-season that was on my list in March is San Diego. So, GO PADRES!
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 19:20
    AL: Yanks with the Twins in a distant 2nd
    NL: Phillies with the Reds in a close 2nd

Phillies have the best pitching staff in the league and are the most complete team which leads me to believe they will win the Series this year. Plus I will be cheering hard for Halladay and Oswalt, two of my favourite pitchers, to win their first Series' each.

I ...[text shortened]... n't see the Padres, Giants, Rays, Braves or Rangers doing much of anything in the post-season.
    I would have to agree. The Yanks and Phillies will meet in the World Series. The mind numbing predictability is nauseating.
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 19:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    I would have to agree. The Yanks and Phillies will meet in the World Series. The mind numbing predictability is nauseating.
    Diggin' another hole are ye?
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 02:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    At this stage, the Rays have better pitching than the Yankees, and got the better of the Yankees in head-to-head competition this year. Texas has lots of weapons as well. If the Yankees meet the Rangers in the first round, I don't think it's clear that the Yankees advance.
  12. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 03:38
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    At this stage, the Rays have better pitching than the Yankees, and got the better of the Yankees in head-to-head competition this year. Texas has lots of weapons as well. If the Yankees meet the Rangers in the first round, I don't think it's clear that the Yankees advance.
    I agree whole-heartedly Paul. Hitting wins games, pitching wins championships.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 12:57
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    In that case, the Phillies should have it easy.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 20:18
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    That's the cliche, but in the World Series last year the teams averaged 4.92 runs per team per game which was higher than the approximate 4.6 RPG during the regular season for both leagues. And that's with not using a 5th (or even a 4th starter for the Yankees) and not keeping garbage men in the BP.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 03:17
    Diggin' another hole are ye?
    I hope. I am sick to death of both of those arse hole teams. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree