Over-rated Footballers...

Over-rated Footballers...

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by Esoteric
Wayne Rooney
Allesandro Del Piero
David Beckham
I disagree with all 3 of these I'm afraid!

I'd say they were over-hyped, not over-rated?

C
Moonchester

Blue Moon

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by SALADIN
Rio Ferdinand - the most over rated centre-half ever to play for england or anyone else for that matter.
Spot on......he's definitely overrated, he's brother overrated too!!

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
21 Feb 07
2 edits

del Piero is probably *a bit* overrated but he has his old reputation to live up to, and nobody can be that good forever. However, he was an integral part of a World Cup winning side only last July, he's gotta be doing something right. His goal in the semis was as sweet as any goal I've ever seen.

I wonder if any Everton fans would agree that Materazzi is overrated. Well, I don't. I taught an Inter fan in Verona for a while who was adamant that he was the worst player ever. I wonder if he says that now.

This will be blasphemy, but for a few seasons Totti was overrated, maybe two seasons ago. He went from being absolutely SUBLIME to ordinary by Serie A standards. For Romanisti it was like the Emporer's New Clothes, everybody could see he wasn't the player he had been but nobody said it... fortunately now he's back to almost his best, but not quite the player he was in 2000 2001 2002.

I always thought that Cristian Vieri was overrated, massively. It was good that he got injured before the World Cup, otherwise he'd have got on the pitch and missed countless sitters the likes of Toni and Gilardino have for breakfast every day.

Ronaldo (fat one) is stupidly overrated, but we have to admit it's only by his own standards. He was just incredible when he was 20.

But for me the most overrated player is Inter's Adriano! The hype he gets in Italy is a joke, but they sit round on live TV saying how he's amazing and will start scoring soon. He only needs to unblock, to open the floodgates... and after all that, he's awful!

A few more for the list: Michael Owen (note how well Liverpool did without him in Istanbul), Crouch, Zenden and a few more I don't have time to list now.

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
21 Feb 07

A few more for the list: Michael Owen (note how well Liverpool did without him in Istanbul), Crouch, Zenden and a few more I don't have time to list now.[/b]
Owen's a tough one to call I reckon.... a bit like Lineker. They're just great goalscorers, not great players... I wouldn't say they were over-rated though, most people see them for what they are.

Crouch has a 'love him or hate him' relationship with fans... he wouldn't be in my team.

...and was Zenden EVER rated, let alone over-rated???

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
21 Feb 07

Vinny Jones - has made a good career out of very limited ability

t

my island

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by GinoJ
Alan Smith [edit] and Juan Sebastian Veron.
veron is a class player

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by invigorate
Vinny Jones - has made a good career out of very limited ability
Now then!
Whilst I totally agree with your comment, I feel that I have to defend our Vinnie.... if it wasn't for him, we'd have been relegated from what was then the 1st Division - he came in and did a great job for us, and really epitomised what we were about back then.
We literally had to scrap for every point, and Vinnie was a real flag bearer for us that season.

Little skill, massive attitude... but I wouldn't say over-rated?

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
21 Feb 07

Ooohhh just remembered about the most over-rated player of the 80's........

Charlie Nicholas!

C
Moonchester

Blue Moon

Moves
22 Feb 07

How about the FAT JACK BA%$@RD Lee Trundle?

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by Cityblue
How about the FAT JACK BA%$@RD Lee Trundle?
I rate Trundle!

S

Moves
22 Feb 07

how about the ENGLAND WORLD CUP SQUAD of 2006
followed closely by
ENGLAND EUROPA SQUAD OF 2004

and the brozen medal goes to....

BRAZIL world cup squad of 2006

S

Moves
22 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Cityblue
Spot on......he's definitely overrated, he's brother overrated too!!
to be honest his brother is RUBBISH!

S

Moves
22 Feb 07

Originally posted by Esoteric
Wayne Rooney
Allesandro Del Piero
David Beckham
no..Rooney is the real deal.. a great player.. and he is only about 21 now i think.

One of the best English players i have seen.. AND one of the true world class players around at the moment.

i would rate him higher then Gazza.. who WAS over-rated!

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by SALADIN
no..Rooney is the real deal.. a great player.. and he is only about 21 now i think.

One of the best English players i have seen.. AND one of the true world class players around at the moment.

i would rate him higher then Gazza.. who WAS over-rated!
Nah... I'm not having that...

Gazza was brilliant, he had everything.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by blade68

Gazza was brilliant, he had everything.[/b]
Common sense?