player of the world cup poll

player of the world cup poll

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
10 Jul 10

Originally posted by monteirof
Considering what they have done so far, Holland's big name is Sneijder. Spain has 3 big names: Villa, Iniesta and Xavi. I would stay between Villa or Iniesta if Spain wins.

For eliminated teams, I would pick two: Schweinsteigger and Forlán.

I think it's fair to choose the best player from the winning team. So, depending on the result, I would go with Sneijder or Villa.
other than the germany match when he was excellent iniesta has been pretty average.

plus the tournaments best player shouldn't come from the winning team just because they're the winning team.

m

Moves
10 Jul 10

Originally posted by trev33
other than the germany match when he was excellent iniesta has been pretty average.

plus the tournaments best player shouldn't come from the winning team just because they're the winning team.
I diagree on Iniesta. I think he's doing a hell of a cup. Not appearing much cause he's not shooting a lot, but he's the player to accelerate the spanish attack with his dribble and passing. Like he did on the goal against Paraguay.

I'm not saying best player must come from the winning team, only that it's usually fair.

Moves
10 Jul 10

I diagree on Iniesta. I think he's doing a hell of a cup. Not appearing much cause he's not shooting a lot, but he's the player to accelerate the spanish attack with his dribble and passing. Like he did on the goal against Paraguay.

I'm not saying best player must come from the winning team, only that it's usually fair.
one trick doesn't make a good world cup, i've watched all of spains matches and if he and torres had been playing like they do at club level spain would've challenged germany for most goals scored.

why is it usually fair?

m

Moves
10 Jul 10

one trick doesn't make a good world cup, i've watched all of spains matches and if he and torres had been playing like they do at club level spain would've challenged germany for most goals scored.

why is it usually fair?
Well I've also watched all Spain matches. It's not about one trick, it's an example. Spain's game is based on ball possession, but they need to accelerate the game at the right moment. Iniesta is the guy that does it.

You usually dont have one unquestionable player to name THE best of the Cup. You usually have nameS. To consider who goes further is a good tie-breaker I guess.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Jul 10

the way i see it there's 5 candidates.

forlan (uruguay)
villa (spain)
sneijder (holland)
muller (germany)
schweinsteiger (germany)
Uruguay striker Diego Forlan is clearly my choice in a New York minute!

m

Moves
11 Jul 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Uruguay striker Diego Forlan is clearly my choice in a New York minute!

He did a hell of a Cup and scored amazing goals!

His channel on youtube, he has posted videos since South Africa, funny stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DiegoForlan7Oficial

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Jul 10

He did a hell of a Cup and scored amazing goals!

His channel on youtube, he has posted videos since South Africa, funny stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DiegoForlan7Oficial
Savvy, concentration, physicality, anticipation, understated leadership... so wish he

was here at poolside today for ping pong, tennis, volleyball and many frosty beers.

..........................................................................................

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Jul 10

I have a feeling either Iniesta and/or Villa will be featuring high on people's lists in a couple of hours time.

m

Moves
11 Jul 10

Diego Forlan it is!! Well deserved!

Moves
11 Jul 10

the way i see it there's 5 candidates.

forlan (uruguay)
villa (spain)
sneijder (holland)
muller (germany)
schweinsteiger (germany)
top 3 in the order i put them and muller winning the young player of the tournament (probably, haven't actually looked yet)

kiss the feet people.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Jul 10

top 3 in the order i put them and muller winning the young player of the tournament (probably, haven't actually looked yet)

kiss the feet people.
Yeah, you're also a sucker who is biased to goalscorers like most of these awards.

Schweini was the best player by a country mile.

Moves
11 Jul 10

Originally posted by Palynka
Yeah, you're also a sucker who is biased to goalscorers like most of these awards.

Schweini was the best player by a country mile.
meh, i was right, you were wrong - la lala lala la 😵

seriously though it's hard to put my 5 in any order but purely because he carried his severely unfancied side to the semi final how can you not agree with forlan? and i'm not just talking about his 5 goals, his all round play was a different class.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Jul 10

meh, i was right, you were wrong - la lala lala la 😵

seriously though it's hard to put my 5 in any order but purely because he carried his severely unfancied side to the semi final how can you not agree with forlan? and i'm not just talking about his 5 goals, his all round play was a different class.
Forlan was awesome, but I think Schweinsteiger has the upper hand because Germany played tougher teams. Uruguay, in the end, dropped out in the first big challenge they had. Part of them reaching the semis is the luck of the draw, although they convincingly defeated the teams that came their way.

If I would take a player from this World Cup based on the form during the tournament, I would take Schweinsteiger for being the dynamo that made his whole team tick.

Moves
11 Jul 10

Originally posted by Palynka
Forlan was awesome, but I think Schweinsteiger has the upper hand because Germany played tougher teams. Uruguay, in the end, dropped out in the first big challenge they had. Part of them reaching the semis is the luck of the draw, although they convincingly defeated the teams that came their way.

If I would take a player from this World Cup based on the ...[text shortened]... the tournament, I would take Schweinsteiger for being the dynamo that made his whole team tick.
yeah, you're right in what you say and he should've been in the top 3 but i'd still have forlan as the tournaments best player, lesser opposition or not he deserved it.