1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 20:23
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Call me crazy then. But call me correct!!
    i seem to recall lance berkman carrying the astros a few years back... or was that a team effort also?
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 20:32
    Originally posted by trev33
    i seem to recall lance berkman carrying the astros a few years back... or was that a team effort also?
    Nope, one player has never carried any team. Lance only played one position in the field. He did not drive in every run they produced. I am pretty sure he never even pitched a game. 😉 Granted, players can get hot and that helps, but in a team sport, one player cannot win it on their own. They can make it much easier to win.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 20:40
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Nope, one player has never carried any team. Lance only played one position in the field. He did not drive in every run they produced. I am pretty sure he never even pitched a game. 😉 Granted, players can get hot and that helps, but in a team sport, one player cannot win it on their own. They can make it much easier to win.
    i think in a way we're both right. you need the team to function properly but one player can make a huge difference on the result. especially in a 7 game world cup, if someone hits a good streak like forlan did for uruguay they can go a long way. plus soccer is much less of an all-round team game like baseball or even a. football is. much more possible for a soccer player to carry his team.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 20:47
    Originally posted by trev33
    i think in a way we're both right. you need the team to function properly but one player can make a huge difference on the result. especially in a 7 game world cup, if someone hits a good streak like forlan did for uruguay they can go a long way. plus soccer is much less of an all-round team game like baseball or even a. football is. much more possible for a soccer player to carry his team.
    That I can agree with. I mean you can have a goal scoring machine, but if his own goalie can make a stop, it is fruitless. But if the team plays solid and a player gets the hot hand, he can have a very profound effect on their outcomes.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 03:16
    Xavi
    Casillas
    Puyol
    Villa
    Van Bronckhorst
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 06:49
    Arie Hann for me! Greatest long distance long distance striker of all time, and from Holland also. He put Brazil out in 1970 with a shocker. In the 70s he scored many from the half way line in the WC. He scored a bullet from the halfway line past Sepp Maier, one of the world's greatest goalies! Arie Hann the greatest WC tournament player!

Ooohh! You mean this year? 😞

Sneijder of course! He got Holland to the final! Another super Dutch hero.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 11:021 edit
    It really depends on the final, doesn't it? If Villa, for example, comes and scores a game-winning goal, set up by going around two or three defenders in the final , then he will be the player of the tournament. No question.

The final is remembered as much as all the games that come before it, ususally.

Who can forget Maradonna weaving through the English defense,coming from half way to the penalty box, and scoring? Thats the sort of individual brilliance that you are eluding to, right trev?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 11:36
    Robben. Responsible for Holland being in the final. And he'll probably be instrumental in winning it.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 11:46
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Schweinsteiger for me.
    Me too so far, but I think the final choice will probably come from the Spanish team.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 11:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    Robben. Responsible for Holland being in the final. And he'll probably be instrumental in winning it.
    I think the Spaniards will contain him; he's not particulary physical and a good defence could deal with him, I think this was partly why Chelsea sold him a few seasons ago. He is a quality twinkle-toes though.
  11. Utrecht
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 13:10
    Sneijder is highly overrated. A few very very lucky goals and in most of the games invisable.

Schweinsteiger
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Van Bronckhorst
    Müller
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 14:13
    Originally posted by Sake
    Sneijder is highly overrated. A few very very lucky goals and in most of the games invisable.

Schweinsteiger
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Van Bronckhorst
    Müller
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 14:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    he has missed too many matches to be considered the best player of the tournament, he is in my team of the world cup though.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 14:16
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Xavi
    Casillas
    Puyol
    Villa
    Van Bronckhorst
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
  15. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 21:02
    Considering what they have done so far, Holland's big name is Sneijder. Spain has 3 big names: Villa, Iniesta and Xavi. I would stay between Villa or Iniesta if Spain wins.

For eliminated teams, I would pick two: Schweinsteigger and Forlán.

I think it's fair to choose the best player from the winning team. So, depending on the result, I would go with Sneijder or Villa.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree