e) Kuyt

D
    Are nominees really needed this season?
  3. England
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 17:33
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

e) Kuyt
    I do hope that's a joke. Same could go for Ferdinand as well.
  4. 6yd box
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 17:50
    Here are my nominees...
    a) Ronaldo
    b) Ferdinand
    c) Torres
    d) Fabregas
    e) Kuyt

D
    cant see anyone but Ronaldo getting it to be honest. Torres might get Young Player award
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 21:53
    Originally posted by spurs73
    cant see anyone but Ronaldo getting it to be honest. Torres might get Young Player award
    Ronaldo is younger than him, I think.

D
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 21:54
    Originally posted by Caba
    I do hope that's a joke.
    Indeed it was.

D
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 07:27
    Here are my nominees...
    a) Ronaldo
    b) Ferdinand
    c) Torres
    d) Fabregas
    e) Kuyt

D
    Ronaldo - he'll win it. I think the guy's an arse but he's a great player.
    Ferdinand - Nonsense! For a start, Vidic has been better than him
    Torres - 28 goals and counting in his first season and in a team that may not win anything. He'd win it in any other year.
    Fabregas - good start to the season, inconsistent since Xmas
    Kuyt - if medals were handed out for effort, he'd get one. His finishing seems to be getting worse with each game!

You'd have to include Gerrard, Adebayor and Ballack in there. And I believe the popular press are obliged to put Rooney and Terry in any list.
  8. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 13:02
    Ronaldo's been head and shoulders above everyone else this season.

Others worth a mention would be:
    Torres (great 1st season)
    Gerrard (although not as good as last season)
    Calamity (how many clean sheets?)
    Berbatov (Spurs are a different side with him in there)
    Jags (purely 'cos he's an ex Blade!)
  9. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 15:31
    No brainer - Ronaldo

How awesome was Rio on Tuesday?
  10. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 15:39
    Originally posted by Virtue76

How awesome was Rio on Tuesday?[/b]
    You mean apart from the fact that he went to sleep in the 1st minute and nearly allowed Roma in?
    He doesn't concentrate, has a tendency to let his mind wander, and invariably ends up having to 'last ditch' tackle rather than position himself correctly in the first place.

The bloke is not all he's cracked up to be. It's media hype.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 16:12
    Originally posted by blade68
    You mean apart from the fact that he went to sleep in the 1st minute and nearly allowed Roma in?
    He doesn't concentrate, has a tendency to let his mind wander, and invariably ends up having to 'last ditch' tackle rather than position himself correctly in the first place.

Ferdinand is a real footballer's footballer. He want to play the ball 100% of the time. Playing yourself out of a tight spot in defence can be a beautiful thing to witness. I recall Keano, Veron and Stam doing it admirably a few years ago. Under sever pressure near the corner flag, they worked triangles until finally they could get the ball out with a nice easy pass to midfield. Rio has done what he did in the 1st minute on numerous occasions in the past and started an attack from defence.

Obviously, this can backfire occasionally as you are increasing the risk to yourself and your team by not lumping the ball into row Z, or HOOFING it forward.

He made 2 errors on Tuesday night (the second when Vucinic nearly scored after Rio committed himself on the edge of the box. Obviously, people like yourself will ignore the 20 superb things he did for his team, and only concentrate on those 2 errors. On Irish TV, a character called Eamon Drunkphy did the same thing with Ronaldo, until he was made to eat his words around Christmas time. In their anti-Ronaldo bias, they'd cherry pick 3 or 4 negative clips to show why Ronaldo wasn't a footballer, ignoring the 10 good things he did in a game.

D
  12. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 16:381 edit
    Originally posted by blade68

Media hype? You don't get paid £100,000 per week because of media hype. I will take Fergusons opinion over yours everytime when it comes to footballing matters.
  13. 6yd box
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 17:15
    [b]Media hype? You don't get paid £100,000 per week because of media hype.
    I am sorry to say people do get paid that type of wages because of media hype these days:'(
  14. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 17:50
    Originally posted by spurs73
    I am sorry to say people do get paid that type of wages because of media hype these days:'(
    Of course they dont. The media dont over-hype Ferdinand, no more than he deserves. Alex Ferguson and Man Utd pay the going rate for quality. If there was someone better than Rio do you not think Sir Alex would try and buy them? I f he isn't very good why does he play week in and week out for the best team in England? I know Vidic is good but he cant carry Ferdinand and help have the best defensive record in the Premier League.
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 22:412 edits
    I know Vidic is good but he cant carry Ferdinand and help have the best defensive record in the Premier League.
    I've heard it said previously that Brown is about as good as a wet paper bag.

So apparently, not only are Vidic, VDS and Evra carrying the other two to have the best defensive record his year, they are also well on their way to bettering their previous defensive record of just 25 goals in 97/98, having currently conceded 15 with 6 games to go.

🙄

[EDIT]Speaking about Brown, are United crazy not to pay him the 55K he is asking for. Previously, I'd have thought that was over priced, but just thinking about it now, I can't remember too many times this season I've groaned in disgust after Brown stupidly tackled from behind at the edge of the box, or totally lost concentration to be made a fool of.

I also think he's developed his attacking game which was pretty much non-existant in previous seasons. He's got great height and pace. Why can't he be Gary Neville's successor, and he'd be cheap at less than half Rios 110oddK and would save millions if we go into the market, millions that I would much prefer be spent on a top striker: Benzema or somebody of that quality (not many around) or how about Drogba?!

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree