1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 21:11
    Was that the most dominating performance by an NFL defense in years? They held the vaunted Jets to a mere 7 first downs and 150 yards. PLUS the Baltimore D scored 3 TDs, 2 on fumble returns and 1 on a pick.

Scary stuff for AFC foes.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 22:15
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Was that the most dominating performance by an NFL defense in years? They held the vaunted Jets to a mere 7 first downs and 150 yards. PLUS the Baltimore D scored 3 TDs, 2 on fumble returns and 1 on a pick.

I don't think so... there will always be holes and the Jets offense just wasn't able to find them. Not to take anything from the Ravens but I think if you based the Ravens defense off of just that one game it would be overrated. Besides, the Bears of a few years ago did that week in and week out.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 23:38
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I don't think so... there will always be holes and the Jets offense just wasn't able to find them. Not to take anything from the Ravens but I think if you based the Ravens defense off of just that one game it would be overrated. Besides, the Bears of a few years ago did that week in and week out.
    By "a few years ago" do you mean 1985?
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 01:44

If you're talking single game performance, this one has to be around the top in my (45 year) lifetime.

Three TD's would be good production for many offenses around the league.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 01:52

If it weren't for penalties, the Texans would have posted similar numbers.
    We had a blocked field goal taken in for a touchdown that was called back.
    We had an interception for a touchdown called back for a block in the back 10 yards behind the ball.

All of this against Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers.
    I believe the Texans sacked him 5 times and intercepted two passes.
    We also recovered at least one fumble I recall.

Pretty impressive stuff.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 16:16
    By "a few years ago" do you mean 1985?
    Probably... don't remember win I just remember the talk was much ado about Bears.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 23:192 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Probably... don't remember win I just remember the talk was much ado about Bears.
    Why not revere the Steel Curtain in Pittsburgh in the 70's if you are going to talk
    ancient history?

Or how about the Green Bay Packers in the early 60's?

Or the Doomsday Defense in Dallas in the 70's?

Almost forgot the Purple People Eaters in Minnesota as well.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 01:12

They took advantage of Mangold being out and the rotten confusion on the Jets' offensive line and Sanchez made some truly horrific decisions. I'm a Jets fan, but right now, they're not "vaunted" anything. So far this season, they look exactly like the 2-2 team they are. They still have some time to kick it into high gear, at least.

Somehow I don't think they Ravens will do the same to Brady and Logan Mankins.

Still, it was an impressive performance by the Ravens (on defense at least - their offense was pitiful).
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 01:24
    Originally posted by sh76
    They took advantage of Mangold being out and the rotten confusion on the Jets' offensive line and Sanchez made some truly horrific decisions. I'm a Jets fan, but right now, they're not "vaunted" anything. So far this season, they look exactly like the 2-2 team they are. They still have some time to kick it into high gear, at least.

Somehow I don't think they ...[text shortened]... an impressive performance by the Ravens (on defense at least - their offense was pitiful).
    They pretty much did do the same to Brady in the 2009 playoffs: http://www.footballdb.com/boxscore/2010011001

132 yards passing and 3 picks. I think the Ravens are the last team the Pats would want to face (though they did eke out an OT win against Baltimore in 2010).
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 15:11
    Be wary of the Texans......... you heard it here first.......
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 00:19
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Be wary of the Texans......... you heard it here first.......
    The Texans were a flavor of the month pick in the AFC South esp. after Manning went down. They'd been OK so far with wins over the creampuff Colts ("led" by Kerry Collins) and the Dolphins, a tough loss to the Saints on the road and a close win over the Steelers. Jacksonville also looks pretty bad, so it looks like their only divisional competition will be the Titans.

This week the Raiders go to Houston and I give Oakland a decent shot at winning with McFadden leading the best running attack in the NFL. It looks like Andre Johnson won't be available for the Texans either. Should be a good game.

Then they get the Ravens in Baltimore next week. We'll see how they do against what I think is the NFL's best defense.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 00:29
    The Texans were a flavor of the month pick in the AFC South esp. after Manning went down. They'd been OK so far with wins over the creampuff Colts ("led" by Kerry Collins) and the Dolphins, a tough loss to the Saints on the road and a close win over the Steelers. Jacksonville also looks pretty bad, so it looks like their only divisional competition will ...[text shortened]... Baltimore next week. We'll see how they do against what I think is the NFL's best defense.
    It will be quite interesting because Houston's defense is VASTLY improved over last
    season, and they are quite formidable. Joe Flacco may be in for a surprise.
    Matt Schaub is already a fairly quick release. I also think the Texans will handle the
    Raiders. They should have beaten the Saints as well, but they made too many mistakes
    in the 4th quarter.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 16:43
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    It will be quite interesting because Houston's defense is VASTLY improved over last
    season, and they are quite formidable. Joe Flacco may be in for a surprise.
    Matt Schaub is already a fairly quick release. I also think the Texans will handle the
    Raiders. They should have beaten the Saints as well, but they made too many mistakes
    in the 4th quarter.
    The Raider run game was pretty much stuffed, but they pulled out a win in Houston. The Titans got crushed in Pittsburgh so that division remains a horse race.

I don't think the Texans will be able to handle the Ravens. Mario Williams is now out for the season.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 01:03
    The Raider run game was pretty much stuffed, but they pulled out a win in Houston. The Titans got crushed in Pittsburgh so that division remains a horse race.

I don't think the Texans will be able to handle the Ravens. Mario Williams is now out for the season.
    Losing Andre Johnson and Mario Williams is tough. WE may have lost our starting FB
    as well. I guess this is what they refer to as "character building", but it sucks.
  15. Joined
    20 Feb '11
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 08:56

Vaunted Jets? In what regard? The 85 Bears had the best Defense ever.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree