1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 22:441 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Yawn.... the Reds FINALLY caught up to the Astros who are playing more rookies
    as starters than the Reds have on their entire team.

You heard it here... the Reds WILL NOT WIN this year.
    Speaking of rookies, how about this guy: http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/30466/zack-cozart

.342 BA and fields like ANOTHER Red Gold Glover. They should be polishing his plaque for the HOF already; why they haven't put a Reds SS in Cooperstown in ages!
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 23:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Speaking of rookies, how about this guy: http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/30466/zack-cozart

.342 BA and fields like ANOTHER Red Gold Glover. They should be polishing his plaque for the HOF already; why they haven't put a Reds SS in Cooperstown in ages!
    Hummm, sounds like another Reds rookie SS from a couple of years ago you
    raving about, Paul Janish.

If you want to take a look at the guy that will probably win rookie of the year unless
    he gets hurt, look at http://houston.astros.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=502110#gameType=%27R%27
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 23:21

If you want to take a look at the guy that will probably win rookie of the year unless
    he gets hurt, look at http://houston.astros.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=502110#gameType=%27R%27
    You still get to be a rookie even after player over 50 games the previous season? How many games can you play in a season and still be considered a rookie the next season?
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 23:33
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    You still get to be a rookie even after player over 50 games the previous season? How many games can you play in a season and still be considered a rookie the next season?
    Determining rookie status:
    A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 23:46

I never "raved" about Janish. He couldn't hit. Cozart can.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 23:472 edits
    Determining rookie status:
    A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).
    Better read Martinez's stats again; he had 208 ABs last year. And a .274/.319/.423 is below average for an OF, so 9 games where he has hit doesn't overly impress me.

EDIT: Baseball reference.com gives the NL average for a LF in 2011 as .259/.328/.421 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/split.cgi?t=b&year=2011&lg=NL) so Martinez was about average.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 01:262 edits
    8 runs wasn't so bad yesterday. The players will wind up hitting to their baseball cards except for maybe Rolen who I'm starting to worry about.

3 games back and a 3 game series with St. Louis starting tomorrow. Be nice to take 2 out of 3 but regardless I'm not in "permanent pessimistic and hating his supposed team" mode that whodey is. The team will come around and Chapman is gassing.
    I would not dismiss Rolan as a minor problem. He essentially hits clean up and the depend on him to hit well. I heard a stat on him today that since mid 2010 he is only hitting around 240 and with only 8 home runs. I think he is through.

So who will fill the void and replace him as clean up? Bruce? BP? Who in your estimation will it be?

Like it or not, they depended upon Rolan to have a good year for the team to have a good year.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 02:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    I would not dismiss Rolan as a minor problem. He essentially hits clean up and the depend on him to hit well. I heard a stat on him today that since mid 2010 he is only hitting around 240 and with only 8 home runs. I think he is through.

So who will fill the void and replace him as clean up? Bruce? BP? Who in your estimation will it be?

Like it or not, they depended upon Rolan to have a good year for the team to have a good year.
    I'm not sure why you translate the words "I'm starting to worry about" as dismissing something as a "minor problem". Rolen still looks hurt to me and with him batting 4th and not producing Joey isn't getting anything to hit unless teams have to pitch to him. Dusty hates going lefty-lefty in the middle of the lineup, but I'm not sure anybody but JB is a legitimate 4 hitter.

I think they are relying more on Stubbs, Cozart and Mesoraco to have good years than Rolen. There's always Todd Frazier in AAA who hit with some pop last year when Rolen went down: 6 HRs in 121 ABs.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 14:533 edits
    I'm not sure why you translate the words "I'm starting to worry about" as dismissing something as a "minor problem". Rolen still looks hurt to me and with him batting 4th and not producing Joey isn't getting anything to hit unless teams have to pitch to him. Dusty hates going lefty-lefty in the middle of the lineup, but I'm not sure anybody but JB is a l Frazier in AAA who hit with some pop last year when Rolen went down: 6 HRs in 121 ABs.
    Dusty does not want to go lefty lefty? Doesn't he know that Votto has no trouble hitting lefty? 🙄

As for Mr. Strike out Stubbs, if they are relying on him then God Bless America, the season is over.

Then there is their closer that they spent $8 million on and will never play due to injury.

What can I say, three strikes and your out!!!
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 19:46
    Dusty does not want to go lefty lefty? Doesn't he know that Votto has no trouble hitting lefty? 🙄

As for Mr. Strike out Stubbs, if they are relying on him then God Bless America, the season is over.

Then there is their closer that they spent $8 million on and will never play due to injury.

What can I say, three strikes and your out!!!
    I've never understood why Reds "fans" like yourself make a big deal about Stubbs' strikeouts. The guy takes a lot of pitches and goes deep into the count routinely. Would you rather get an infield pop up on the first pitch? Stubbs is a 5 tool type player who's one of the fastest men in baseball and he's big at 6'3" 200+ lbs. I don't want to see him altering his style and trying to become a Punch and Judy hitter.

Perhaps you miss the days when Corey Patterson and Willy Taveras roamed CF for the Reds. I don't.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 20:521 edit
    I've never understood why Reds "fans" like yourself make a big deal about Stubbs' strikeouts. The guy takes a lot of pitches and goes deep into the count routinely. Would you rather get an infield pop up on the first pitch? Stubbs is a 5 tool type player who's one of the fastest men in baseball and he's big at 6'3" 200+ lbs. I don't want to see him alter ...[text shortened]... miss the days when Corey Patterson and Willy Taveras roamed CF for the Reds. I don't.
    Stubbs goes deep into the count? Last I heard some announcers were dogging him because they said he does NOT go deep into the count and was one reason why he should not be a lead off hitter.

Here are the stats on Stubbs in 36 at bats this year.

Average .167
    On base % .211
    Srrike outs 12
    Walks 2

The only other batter that is as bad is Rolan with 33 at bats

Average .121
    On base % 171
    Stike outs 6

At least Rolan has one more RBI than Stubbs and strikes out half as many times. BTW, RBI's go down as strike outs go up. Thereofre, I will always take issue with players who cannot make contact.

All this aside, I think we can both agree that if both players continue this painful display the Reds are toast. As it stands now, I look at Stubbs as a glorified Corey Patterson cause everytime he gets up to bat I get the same sick feeling in my gut.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 21:012 edits
    Stubbs goes deep into the count? Last I heard some announcers were dogging him because they said he does NOT go deep into the count and was one reason why he should not be a lead off hitter.

Here are the stats on Stubbs in 36 at bats this year.

Average .167
    On base % .211
    Srrike outs 12
    Walks 2

The only other batter that is as bad is Rolan with rified Corey Patterson cause everytime he gets up to bat I get the same sick feeling in my gut.
    Then you're an idiot. The season is 10 games old; if you really think Stubbs is any way comparable to Patterson, you don't know anything about baseball. Nobody but Cozart is really hitting even JV is under .300 and has struck out 11 times.

Your constant, ridiculous negativity and hatred directed towards virtually every Reds player is sickening. You are certainly no fan.

EDIT: Your announcers don't know what they are talking about; last year Stubbs drew the 34th most pitches per AB in the majors: http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/year/2011/sort/pitchesPerPlateAppearance/qualified/true/type/expanded

EDIT2: whodey: BTW, RBI's go down as strike outs go up.

Tell that to Reggie Jackson.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 22:04
    Corey Patterson was the Reds starting CF in 2008. His slash line (BA/OBP/SLG) was: .205/.238/.344. He stole 14 bases in 135 games and was thrown out 9 times (success rate 61😵.

Drew Stubbs has played 360 games for the Reds. His line is .249/.322/.400 and he has stolen 81 bases and been thrown out 20 times (80% success rate).

I know we;ll just get the "But he strikes out toooooooooooooo much" refrain but he is a big upgrade over what came before him. And he's still fairly young and there is hope for big improvement. If he plays to his potential, he's All-Star caliber in CF.
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 23:17
    Too bad the Mariners are going to be the "actual" WS winners. Sorry about your dreams though....
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 23:19
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Too bad the Mariners are going to be the "actual" WS winners. Sorry about your dreams though....
    LMAO!! Yep, they will be playing the Astros in the WS.... a preview of the AL West next year.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree