1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 04:251 edit
    Originally posted by spurs73
    .... and no one cheats in grid iron then?😲
    what about the 'new england video taping incident'😲😲
    never happend before did it- by other teams😲😲😲😲
    Apples and oranges. The videotaping incident happened behind closed doors. I am talking about displays seen by the fans. Of course there's cheating in football, but the number of refs makes it a lot harder for it to happen on the field. Rarely will you see a dive that tricks a ref although it does occasionally happen. I love both sports, but footie tends to be high on drama involving play. American football has drama/antics once people score or engage in a great play.

Where I see cheating is in steroid abuse, tampering with players before they get drafted, payola in other forms, some refs definitely need lasik surgery. In a play between FL and Fl St one Fl St player never got up from his stance(right tackle) Weird!?! I wonder what that was about? I have never seen anything like it!
  2. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 05:17
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    The posturing at least is not done to try and fenagle some advantage! In footie dives are to trick refs!
    Yeah, i should of said it the other way around. I have played football (soccer) since i was 5 and have followed it since, but diving really really gets to me.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '09 12:35
    Originally posted by Esoteric
    Yeah, i should of said it the other way around. I have played football (soccer) since i was 5 and have followed it since, but diving really really gets to me.
    I have played, watched, reffed, you name it. Have not coached. I love the game when it is played the way it was meant to, clean, hard and sans the dive!

What's with the empty stadia everywhere. For the sport with most worldwide appeal one would not know it! I watched Palermo Vs. Sampdoria the other day. Great, happy, hard played football of the best kind. 3-1 Palermo. Enjoyed yet the empty stadium was sad to me. I switched back and forth with American Football. What a joy to see the huge crowds both in college and the pros. I love both sports, but the attendance issues in soccer depress me!
  4. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 09:34
    Soccer is still the worlds game..The beautiful game. The best players in the world are now spread around the globe plying their trade.. wonderful
    I am enjoying L1 footy with Southampton as they make their way back up from oblivion. I'm also enjoying NZ football as they've qualified for the WC finals in SA.. great for the game in NZ.

I firmly believe it's time for the powers to peg back the salaries and take control of the performance side of players contracts. The people want heroes, cheap seats and fine football. Lol we have that in L1.. surprisingly good football anyway.. rough at times but all go and fun... Saints gates are well up on last year... and the club is one of the only debt free clubs in the country.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 12:41
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    Soccer is still the worlds game..The beautiful game. The best players in the world are now spread around the globe plying their trade.. wonderful
    I am enjoying L1 footy with Southampton as they make their way back up from oblivion. I'm also enjoying NZ football as they've qualified for the WC finals in SA.. great for the game in NZ.

I firmly believe it ...[text shortened]... s are well up on last year... and the club is one of the only debt free clubs in the country.
    I hope, for the sport's sake you are right! I used to enjoy division two soccer better than serie A because of the livelier game, rougher yet cleaner tackles, magical goals and less propensity for dives and "catenaccio", offense killing ball control in the back! The farm team kids who play in Dallas every spring play like that. If a card is shown you know something really was done to deserve the card. Game flows better and entertains better. Full stadium, lively crowd, great football and soccer of highest order out under 17 kids!

I'm glad you have access to better soccer than what we see on TV!
  6. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 20:10
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I hope, for the sport's sake you are right! I used to enjoy division two soccer better than serie A because of the livelier game, rougher yet cleaner tackles, magical goals and less propensity for dives and "catenaccio", offense killing ball control in the back! The farm team kids who play in Dallas every spring play like that. If a card is shown you kn ...[text shortened]... rder out under 17 kids!

I'm glad you have access to better soccer than what we see on TV!
    I'm down under in NZ and don't get a lot of video feed because of territorial restrictions. We get stuck with listening to audio through the team website "flash player" after paying for a subscription (which everyone in UK can listen to over the radio free). Justin TV and other P2P feeds are handy for Cup games but BBC ITV and Sky are all UK only according to their site. Satlive (per sub) carries some prem and champions league games but it's only BBC local radio that show any interest in covering League One and below so I'm grateful for that. Fans of Southampton FC (Saints) from overseas have been using the local newspaper website threads to post and chat during games.. this bring us all together.. lately Saints have had fans in there from a dozen countries.. so nope football is not in a bad state.. it just needs a big clean out at the top from FIFA corruption to betting scams to the ridiculous amounts changing hands for players and TV rights etc...
    Does anyone remember when Match of The Day was free to air all around the world.... with a feature game, highlights of more and a weekly round up of all the goals through the divisions.... great days. Cheers
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 23:47
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    I'm down under in NZ and don't get a lot of video feed because of territorial restrictions. We get stuck with listening to audio through the team website "flash player" after paying for a subscription (which everyone in UK can listen to over the radio free). Justin TV and other P2P feeds are handy for Cup games but BBC ITV and Sky are all UK only according ...[text shortened]... more and a weekly round up of all the goals through the divisions.... great days. Cheers
    In good ol USA we only get decent soccer on cable and premium channel only at that so I don't subscribe. They do show the UEFA games on ESPN, but these take place while I'm at work and I frequently forget to DVR the darn things! Lots of college soccer but the game level is way below the pros and lots of these games are women's soccer games and these are way too slow. It's like slowmo repeat at times. I'm glad they get to compete, but does not mean I have to watch. One gets spoiled easily in the USA where American Football reigns supreme because of the full stadia, college or pro. The college game is even more interesting because these massive venues are packed with fans wearing the colors. Going to a live college game is always a joy. Local pro soccer is of such poor quality I predict the league will fold sooner than later. Happy viewing my Kiwi friend and hope your holidays are full of cheer!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree