1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jul '21 16:47
    @very-rusty said
    Yes, Not much talk about Hockey my favorite Topic in sports.
    That's because the US doesn't play hockey. The Netherlands, India, Australia, Germany and Argentinia do. All the US does is play ice hockey, which isn't a sport but an excuse for a bust-up.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 00:39
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-tokyo-olympics-opening-drew-231950728.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

UPDATE 3-Tokyo Olympics opening drew 16.7 mln U.S. TV viewers, a 33-year low
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 15:24
    @shallow-blue said
    That's because the US doesn't play hockey. The Netherlands, India, Australia, Germany and Argentinia do. All the US does is play ice hockey, which isn't a sport but an excuse for a bust-up.
    That is probably why we don't talk about it as you don't see it as a sport.

-VR
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 19:12
    @eladar said
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-tokyo-olympics-opening-drew-231950728.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

UPDATE 3-Tokyo Olympics opening drew 16.7 mln U.S. TV viewers, a 33-year low
    I suspect viewers will mainly be interested in the athletics which haven't started yet I don't think
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 19:59
    @venda said
    I suspect viewers will mainly be interested in the athletics which haven't started yet I don't think
    I think people will choose to binge watch their favorite shows on the internet or play their video games.
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 13:29
    @eladar said
    I think people will choose to binge watch their favorite shows on the internet or play their video games.
    Disagree.
    There is ample time to do the things you mention when the Olympics aren't being broadcast.The only thing that will put people off is the lack of atmosphere due to there being no supporters in the stadia
    Also due to the time difference, a lot of sports fans will be at work so will record the events they are interested in.
    Not sure if recorded programmes show in the numbers.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '21 15:53
    @venda

I watched a movie last night instead of the Olympics. I can do an internet search to see what is happening.

I got a good laugh when I saw that the US basketball team got spanked by France. I do not like Kevin Durant so I like seeing that team lose.
  8. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 13:32
    @eladar said
    @venda

I watched a movie last night instead of the Olympics. I can do an internet search to see what is happening.

I got a good laugh when I saw that the US basketball team got spanked by France. I do not like Kevin Durant so I like seeing that team lose.
    I'm not sure how an internet search will reveal the number of viewers who are recording things.
    I've not watched any yet.I'm only interested in track and field which hasn't started yet.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 23:03
    @venda

Just found another story on this, viewership even for athletic events are way down.
    https://www.boston.com/sports/olympics/2021/07/29/in-comparison-to-rio-de-janeiro-nbcs-ratings-for-tokyo-olympics-in-sharp-decline/?amp=1
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Aug '21 19:00
    It is official, viewership for this Olympics was down nearly 50 percent.

IS pulled out the total gold count over China, but still a pretty bad outcome for the US men's Olympic team.
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '21 01:57
    @eladar said
    It is official, viewership for this Olympics was down nearly 50 percent.

IS pulled out the total gold count over China, but still a pretty bad outcome for the US men's Olympic team.
    There are more alternatives then ever with streaming services, cable etc so viewership is down on everything not just sports (for example all primetime major network viewership is down). The Olympics numbers were hurt by a lot of reason (1) no people including sports writers were there (2) it was tape delayed in a world where people no results immediately (3) American stars like Biles disappointed.
  12. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    14 Aug '21 06:06
    @eladar said
    The big 3 sports in the US are Football, Basketball and Baseball.

If you look at viewership all three sports are in decline. Younger people are not as into sports compared to earlier generations.
    LOL so true...remember the PGA ? I personally know of three golf courses in my area that are now closed ( as in permanently )...
    Remember Boxing ? used to be free to watch every Friday night...now it's all pay for view with fighters I've never heard of....
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 09:471 edit
    @eladar said
    Here is a perfect example of political correctness in sports.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericalayala/2021/04/25/the-wnba-turns-25-what-will-viewership-trends-mean-for-the-future/?sh=f4582c61ff12

When I scroll through the channels and see a WNBA game I just keep on scrolling. Looks like very few people watch WNBA games, but they are put it on television anyhow.

Try ...[text shortened]... people to watch things they do not want to watch just turns people off and people turn the channel.
    The opposite is just as true.

Just because YOU don't want to watch something doesn't mean you have to take to social media to claim that NO ONE watches it. Women's basketball (WNBA) is very popular here and every game I've been to draws a big crowd.

They wouldn't put it on TV if an appreciable segment of the population didn't enjoy it.

So take your sports-hating agenda somewhere else, spanky.

There are PLENTY of channels available, so what do you care if someone else enjoys something you don't? Take a break, Mr. Stalin.
  14. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    20 Nov '21 11:43
    @eladar said
    The big 3 sports in the US are Football, Basketball and Baseball.

If you look at viewership all three sports are in decline. Younger people are not as into sports compared to earlier generations.

Of course as sports gets tied to social and political issues, it turns groups of people off and the people who would like the issues do not like sports. This just makes the drop in viewership among older people. The younger people would rather play video games.
    Younger people are not as into sports compared to earlier generations.

Younger people would rather do it, than watch it.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '21 14:13
    @mchill said
    Younger people are not as into sports compared to earlier generations.

Younger people would rather do it, than watch it.
    Lol

You mean would rather play video games about doing it than watch people play.

Younger people are generally much fatter and out of shape compared to earlier generations.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree