1. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    04 Apr '09 22:11
    Referee Matt Goddard after his dreadful showing a couple of weeks ago handing out something like five yellows and a red, was allowed on the field again in the game between the Cheetahs and the Brumbies. He was awful again, in one clear example disallowing a try for a non-offside that *could* have turned the game and he constantly needed to be called back by the line judges. I think it's time for a drugs test for referees, if they don't have them. This is my only explanation if he's otherwise perfectly physically fit.

In the end, the Brumbies won 40-27 but it was a travesty of refereeing - and I don't give a hoot about the losing side.
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 05:42
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    Referee Matt Goddard after his dreadful showing a couple of weeks ago handing out something like five yellows and a red, was allowed on the field again in the game between the Cheetahs and the Brumbies. He was awful again, in one clear example disallowing a try for a non-offside that *could* have turned the game and he constantly needed to be called back ...[text shortened]... n 40-27 but it was a travesty of refereeing - and I don't give a hoot about the losing side.
    The poor cheetahs, they are just so unlucky.
    They've had decent sides in the Super14 for a few years now (this year is probably their worst team), but they just ALWAYS get stuffed by refs, the bounce of the ball - really, just everything goes against them.
    It's like the rugby gods just don't want them to win any games.
  3. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 08:56
    Originally posted by Crowley
    The poor cheetahs, they are just so unlucky.
    They've had decent sides in the Super14 for a few years now (this year is probably their worst team), but they just ALWAYS get stuffed by refs, the bounce of the ball - really, just everything goes against them.
    It's like the rugby gods just don't want them to win any games.
    It's ironic and a touch amazing that the Cheetahs beat the Comp leaders last week.. are they that good or is it possible this game was fixed? This is like a full strength Canterbury losing to Poverty bay ..a very very unlikely result.

I can't help wonder is someone made a lot of money by betting on The Cheetahs? We didn't get the game here. Can you recall any suspect missed tackles or muffed plays by The Sharks? Wonder if any of the Sharks suddenly have large bank accounts.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 14:25
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    It's ironic and a touch amazing that the Cheetahs beat the Comp leaders last week.. are they that good or is it possible this game was fixed? This is like a full strength Canterbury losing to Poverty bay ..a very very unlikely result.

I can't help wonder is someone made a lot of money by betting on The Cheetahs? We didn't get the game here. Can you re ...[text shortened]... r muffed plays by The Sharks? Wonder if any of the Sharks suddenly have large bank accounts.
    That would make more sense, as I have no idea what the Sharks were doing. They sure as !@#* weren't playing rugby!

Friggin derby matches can be so unpredictable...
  5. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 19:55
    That would make more sense, as I have no idea what the Sharks were doing. They sure as !@#* weren't playing rugby!

Friggin derby matches can be so unpredictable...
    The Chiefs should test the theory this weekend as to whether the Cheetahs can make a come back.. no money would make Waikato boys miss a tackle.. if they did we'd know instantly as everyone here knows someone in the team ..NZ has small town gossip with no secrets.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 20:591 edit
    And there we go again, we get to the business end of another S14 and the SA players and teams get shafted. Again.

Chris Pollock missed a knock-on (by Stephen Hoiles) that cost the Bulls against the Brumbies;
    Mark Lawrence let himself down by not staying with his immediate instinct and awarding what should have been a penalty try to the Sharks against the Crusaders, rather than allowing TMO Johann Meuwesen to come up with a post-goal line ruling that complete ignored blatant off-sides and other transgressions.

Both these decisions would have resulted in wins for the SA sides. *sigh*

Wonder what Bakkies Botha makes of the latest round of citings and punishments?
    - Highlanders captain Jimmy Cowan has received no further punishment for his contentious tackle on Jimmy Gopperth (never mind giving the ref a bit of lip)
    - Richard Kahui let off for a spear tackle
    - James McGougan exonerated of stamping.
    As a news agency so aptly put it, thus "capping a perfect day for New Zealand players in front of the Super 14 rugby judiciary."
    Bakkies you will recall got three weeks for striking Phil Waugh and we've yet to see exactly what it was he did!

This just shows the bias towards the SA sides and players. Again!

I rest my case!
  7. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    22 Apr '09 08:40
    And there we go again, we get to the business end of another S14 and the SA players and teams get shafted. Again.

Chris Pollock missed a knock-on (by Stephen Hoiles) that cost the Bulls against the Brumbies;
    Mark Lawrence let himself down by not staying with his immediate instinct and awarding what should have been a penalty try to the Sharks against th ...[text shortened]...

This just shows the bias towards the SA sides and players. Again!

I rest my case!
    I'm getting into the spirit of this my friend.
    Just don't kick the tv set or the cat and no cussing in front of the mrs.
    If it gets too bad I prescribe three triple whiskies take two paracetamol and do cartwheels and jump in bed. You'll spin out and the head ache you'll have in the morning will make the rugby seem fine.
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    23 Apr '09 22:50
    I'm getting into the spirit of this my friend.
    Just don't kick the tv set or the cat and no cussing in front of the mrs.
    If it gets too bad I prescribe three triple whiskies take two paracetamol and do cartwheels and jump in bed. You'll spin out and the head ache you'll have in the morning will make the rugby seem fine.
    Will this stop the bias against the SA players and teams? Because I'm willing to try anything...
  9. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    25 Apr '09 21:411 edit
    Sunday morning in NZ eating words for Breakfast.. Cheetahs proved themselves worth giant beaters beating the Crusaders.. good on them.

Bulls popped the Chiefs bubble too.

Must have been those biased refs 😛
  10. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    04 May '09 03:22
    I know we've talked here before of SA joining Europe and Aussie & NZ including Pacific teams iin a competition. Now we have NZ and Aussie holding talks about just that..with no SA at the table.

I personally dislike the format of super 14 and would rather have a super provincial tournament or do away with it altogether in favour of opening the tri nations series to include Argentina, a North American team a Pacific Team and a SE Asia Team. Such a series benefits rugby as a game not just the big teams.

News in The NZ Herald newspaper online from the weekend.

"South Africa wants to start the 2011 tournament in February so they do not disturb the June test window or their Currie Cup competition.

That early start is unacceptable to the New Zealand and Australian unions, who say the staggered start would put off fans and broadcasters.

The current Super rugby format ends next year and the three Sanzar countries only have until June 30 to detail their proposals for a renewed broadcasting deal with News Ltd and Supersport.

New Zealand Rugby Union chief executive Steve Tew admitted yesterday that discussions had reached such an impasse that the New Zealand and Australian unions met this week to discuss other schemes.

The problem is the in-bound international window in June which cuts across plans for an expanded Super series, prompting the NZRU and ARU to moot a split round-robin contest."
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    04 May '09 14:41
    Maybe the Super competition has run it's course.

I've loved it, but it seems to put too much strain on the top players who need to play local competitions AND tests.

Change might be just what rugby needs now.
  12. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    07 May '09 11:06
    Chiefs or Canes
    Tahs or Sharks

tough close hard to pick games this week.
    Should be great.

Will the Bulls get upset by the Cheetahs?
  13. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    15 May '09 09:43
    Super 14 has been agreed to by sansar for next year with some changes (yet to be announced) talks still ongoing re admitting Argentina some time in the future - I'd like them in a southern five nations with a pacific team as well.
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    15 May '09 22:37
    Super 14 has been agreed to by sansar for next year with some changes (yet to be announced) talks still ongoing re admitting Argentina some time in the future - I'd like them in a southern five nations with a pacific team as well.
    Sounds good. Let's get a little change going! The S14 is STALE!
  15. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    16 May '09 21:361 edit
    Sounds good. Let's get a little change going! The S14 is STALE!
    I agree.. it is stale.
    I believe it's due to the swapping of players from their roots. Ppl need home grown players to support. The Chiefs have maintained a great support base by hanging on to lots of the Waikato provincial players.

Well done to the Bulls getting the round robin win at the top of the table a pt clear of our Chiefs.

I have to raise my hopes that the mighty Chiefs can actually pull off a upset win this year - well done to Ian Foster for doing so well whatever happens from here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree