The Celtic Cup

The Celtic Cup

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
26 Nov 07

Great news.

Hopefully England will get involved as well.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7114148.stm

D

E
YNWA

Moves
26 Nov 07

Last week England distanced themselves from involvement in the tournament.

Why would they do this? Maybe it was before the Croatia game so was understandable, but why would the FA not want to go for it now? This would be a fantastic tourney!

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Nov 07

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
Last week England distanced themselves from involvement in the tournament.

Why would they do this? Maybe it was before the Croatia game so was understandable, but why would the FA not want to go for it now? This would be a fantastic tourney!
I'm sure Lampard, Gerrard, Rio et al. would all love playing more meaningless internationals.

b

Glasgow Scotland

Moves
26 Nov 07

lampard, gerard and Rio seem better suited to the friendlies going by recent performances.

E
YNWA

Moves
26 Nov 07

Originally posted by Palynka
I'm sure Lampard, Gerrard, Rio et al. would all love playing more meaningless internationals.
But that's just the point - they wouldn't be meaningless at all. Taking trips to Kazakhstan and Armenia and similar places where England has no historical connection over the course of a 2-year long qualifying campaign is more meaningless - hardly likely to inspire motivation in a player. Not when they've got an eye on the weekend's EPL fixture. Now an actual tournament (not friendlies or one-off qualifiers) against teams where the rivalry couldn't be closer to home would surely get the England team playing with something they've forgotten all about - passion? The noise of the crowds and the buzz around the nations would be fantastic IMO.

t

my island

Moves
26 Nov 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Great news.

Hopefully England will get involved as well.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7114148.stm

D
nooooooooooooooo

what happened to the fai wanting to bring the 'best' teams to dublin for friendly matches.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Nov 07

But that's just the point - they wouldn't be meaningless at all. Taking trips to Kazakhstan and Armenia and similar places where England has no historical connection over the course of a 2-year long qualifying campaign is more meaningless - hardly likely to inspire motivation in a player. Not when they've got an eye on the weekend's EPL fixture. Now an a ...[text shortened]... - passion? The noise of the crowds and the buzz around the nations would be fantastic IMO.
I'm not English, so I can't really say how much the English care about beating Scotland with respect to how much Scotland wants to beat the English. So I have to trust you on this one.

It still seems to me that this would be very physical games, which could very well arouse the passion you speak of. But it could also mean that key players playing with big clubs would be afraid of picking up injuries, turning it all into a bit of a farce.

I don't see the practical part of it, but I see the point that the emotional part that you mention could be a possible reason.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
27 Nov 07

But that's just the point - they wouldn't be meaningless at all. Taking trips to Kazakhstan and Armenia and similar places where England has no historical connection over the course of a 2-year long qualifying campaign is more meaningless - hardly likely to inspire motivation in a player. Not when they've got an eye on the weekend's EPL fixture. Now an a ...[text shortened]... - passion? The noise of the crowds and the buzz around the nations would be fantastic IMO.
My thoughts exactly. Irish teams have seemed fairly passionless as well lately.

D

I
Cause I'm the taxman

Moves
28 Nov 07

Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Ulster to play each other in a tournament, with England possibly joining aswell?

Seems to me that we are too poor to qualify for and win cups that other nations are competing for, so we will make our own instead!

Pointless...

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
28 Nov 07

Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK
Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Ulster to play each other in a tournament, with England possibly joining aswell?

Seems to me that we are too poor to qualify for and win cups that other nations are competing for, so we will make our own instead!

Pointless...
Of course playing games which are important to the fans and players won't improve the teams more than sitting on their bums.

D

I
Cause I'm the taxman

Moves
29 Nov 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Of course playing games which are important to the fans and players won't improve the teams more than sitting on their bums.

D
I am sorry, but I don't see how running about like idiots for 90 min, showing "passion" (i.e. kicking lumps off of each other) will improve the teams either.

All games should be important to players - Qualifying for a World Cup or European Championship should be more important than a meaningless friendly win at Hampden / Millenium Stadium / Windsor Park

S

Dublin

Moves
29 Nov 07

Terrible idea for Ireland. All these teams play in a similar way and Ireland have proven themselves incapable of playing against teams who play differently. We should be playing against Eastern and Southern European teams in friendlies. I've no interest in seeing us play mediocre teams like Wales and the North and I'm sure their fans think the same about playing us.

I
Cause I'm the taxman

Moves
29 Nov 07

Originally posted by Schumi
Terrible idea for Ireland. All these teams play in a similar way and Ireland have proven themselves incapable of playing against teams who play differently. We should be playing against Eastern and Southern European teams in friendlies. I've no interest in seeing us play mediocre teams like Wales and the North and I'm sure their fans think the same about playing us.
Exactly! The criticism of all British and Irish teams recently is that we are too insular and need to play a more continental style.

Playing each other over and over again will not do anything to change our fortunes.

s

6yd box

Moves
29 Nov 07

Originally posted by Palynka
...and thats the point...should england play these tried and tested players all the time?

Why not give players like Cason, Green, SWP, Bent and Defore, Johnson etc more exprience in friendlies and these types of games instead of usual suspects.