The Most Popular Sport

The Most Popular Sport

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C

England

Moves
11 Oct 08

Originally posted by gambit3
The National Football League football is no more Rugby then Major League Baseball is Cricket.
Major league baseball is just rounders with compulsory steroid injections.

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
11 Oct 08

Originally posted by Caba
Major league baseball is just rounders with compulsory steroid injections.
If you had not been english then that would have deserved a rec 😉

j

Moves
12 Oct 08

Originally posted by gambit3
AFL can mean more then one thing. I guess you mean Australian rules Football. AFL=American Football League. AFL=Arena Football League. I would guess that soccer is the most popular sport world wide.
sorry i meant Australian Football League

j

Moves
12 Oct 08

Originally posted by Hopster
Football - worldwide as a spectator and possibly participator sport.

Fishing is quite popular, but wouldn´t rank up there with cycling or running (jogging), I guess.

If your definition of sport includes pastimes, I would suggest chess, pool, poker, table tennis as higly participative games.
yeah football definently is it is played all over the world. not just played enjoyed loved

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
13 Oct 08
1 edit

Wouldn't cycling or walking be a bigger sport, considering it is likely more people spend their time walking and cycling around to get somewhere (not all use cars).

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
13 Oct 08

Originally posted by Aiko
Wouldn't cycling or walking be a bigger sport, considering it is likely more people spend their time walking and cycling around to get somewhere (not all use cars).
It is accepted that fishing is the largest participation sport. Walking would be if you include general walking but walking as a sport falls far short of fishing and even football beats walking on that front.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
14 Oct 08

Originally posted by Aiko
Sport, in this context, is probably some physical act done for a public element to observe and/or in some competitive or tournament form.

As such, jogging, walking and fishing counts as hobbies, unless you are competing in some form of competition...

If we count participation and spectators, I'd say the top sports would be:
Football
Cricket
Tennis
Golf

J

Moves
14 Oct 08

It's real football, no contest!!

Football where all players can use their hands should of never been called football!!

j

Moves
15 Oct 08

of course it should have but we all have our opinions

K

Moves
15 Oct 08

I agree with most people footbal(soccer) wins but I first thought fisihing but I agree with someone who earlier said that sport is something that is observed or competed in. Cricket should already be a world sport and is better than football. 🙂😛🙂😉😏😵😀

Question: Car or Horse Racing?🙄😕

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
15 Oct 08

Originally posted by Klinger
Cricket should already be a world sport and is better than football.

Question: Car or Horse Racing?🙄😕
Uhm, cricket is a 'world sport'. Not sure what you mean by that. Sure, the americans don't really know it, but that makes no real difference to it being a 'world sport', does it? All that means is less advertising during overs and that's fine by me...

Motorsport, sure, that's one I forgot. I just hate all motorsports, so I forgot about it.

Moves
15 Oct 08

Originally posted by Mctayto
It is accepted that fishing is the largest participation sport.
I don't accept that fishing is a sport at all. Well, except perhaps for the worm.

Richard

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
15 Oct 08

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
I don't accept that fishing is a sport at all. Well, except perhaps for the worm.

Richard
Like I said. It's a hobby, until you compete in a competition.

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
15 Oct 08

Originally posted by Crowley
Like I said. It's a hobby, until you compete in a competition.
If you choose to define a sport by the competition element then a kick about with your mates becomes a hobby, a round of golf is a hobby 😛

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
15 Oct 08

Originally posted by Mctayto
If you choose to define a sport by the competition element then a kick about with your mates becomes a hobby, a round of golf is a hobby 😛
Most golf clubs hold local competitions all throughout the weekend. So, many people I know play in a competition once, even twice a week.

Anyway, let's not get stuck in semantics...
A kick around or a round of golf could be considered a hobby, until you take into account that it may be practice for competition purposes.
Then it's a sport again, no?