1. Santiago
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 06:04
    I used to follow Man Utd in my teens and went to about a dozen games. They were not my local team as I am from South London. I started going to a few local games down at Palace with my uncle and friends. As a cockney red I was never made to feel welcome by the Mancs and never felt I really belonged.

As I got older the need to support a team always in the hunt for trophies waned. My point of switching came when I had to decide between to FA Cup 4th Rd ties: a straightforward Moan Utd home victory against lower league opposition or Spurs vs Palace in the 4th Rd of the FA Cup. I went to WHL and saw Palace stuffed 5-0. But I felt part of the crowd in defeat and I have never looked back.
  2. Joined
    29 Jul '04
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 23:02
    Originally posted by Hopster
    I used to follow Man Utd in my teens and went to about a dozen games. They were not my local team as I am from South London. I started going to a few local games down at Palace with my uncle and friends. As a cockney red I was never made to feel welcome by the Mancs and never felt I really belonged.

As I got older the need to support a team always in the ...[text shortened]... and saw Palace stuffed 5-0. But I felt part of the crowd in defeat and I have never looked back.
    Good story Hopster, I amanother South London lad and had a likeingfor Liverpool and was taken to Selhurst Park for a cup tie in 77 when Palace played Liverpool supporting Keegan toshack and al but I was so impressed with the crowd noise and the chant of eagles that I started going regularly. Soon after we were promoted and I started going with other chaps from school. BTW Liverpool won the match 3 -2 and Palace were in Old 3rd Div
  3. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 09:25
    Originally posted by cantspell
    Good story Hopster, I amanother South London lad and had a likeingfor Liverpool and was taken to Selhurst Park for a cup tie in 77 when Palace played Liverpool supporting Keegan toshack and al but I was so impressed with the crowd noise and the chant of eagles that I started going regularly. Soon after we were promoted and I started going with other chaps from school. BTW Liverpool won the match 3 -2 and Palace were in Old 3rd Div
    But that was the start of your glory years, Vince Hilaire, Gerry Francis two successive promotions. That great strip - they were good days to support Palace.
  4. Santiago
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 21:44
    Are you are Brighton fan invigorate?
  5. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 23:39
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Ok, a question: How do you 'become' fan of certain team?

More important: How do you "switch" from one team to another?

Is it possible?

The issue came to my mind after being several years fan of
    Real Madrid. I love the team, no sweat, they were my first contact
    with football and I fell in love with "la quinta del buitre", when
    Butragueno was doin ...[text shortened]... ing the Lakers and the Celtics, like... of well, you get the point.

I feel troubled 😞
    You can change your wife.
    You can change your job.
    You can change your religion.
    You can change your home.

YOU CAN NOT CHANGE YOUR FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!!!!
  6. 6yd box
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 23:48
    Originally posted by znsho
    You can change your wife.
    You can change your job.
    You can change your religion.
    You can change your home.

YOU CAN NOT CHANGE YOUR FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!!!!
    ... although Chelsea got a quite a few new fans over the last 3 yearsπŸ˜‰
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '04
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 20:18
    Originally posted by invigorate
    But that was the start of your glory years, Vince Hilaire, Gerry Francis two successive promotions. That great strip - they were good days to support Palace.
    yes kenny sansom, jim cannon, jerry murphy great days. went top of the old first division for a while.
  8. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 23:36
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Ok, a question: How do you 'become' fan of certain team?

More important: How do you "switch" from one team to another?

Is it possible?

The issue came to my mind after being several years fan of
    Real Madrid. I love the team, no sweat, they were my first contact
    with football and I fell in love with "la quinta del buitre", when
    Butragueno was doin ...[text shortened]... ing the Lakers and the Celtics, like... of well, you get the point.

I feel troubled 😞
    You make it sound like you have to be certified or registered in some way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree